I think I know where Somalis come from, and I have some good evidence.

I think Somalis come from some region in North Africa, 5000 years ago. Before y'all get mad at this view, read the entire post. It'll make sense. This ain't an anti-Black argument and shit. I only give a fk about the truth.

Hypothesis: Somalis were pastoralists from North Africa who migrated downward to the Horn of Africa, due to the desertification of the Sahara.

Below is my evidence, which will be based on science, not fairytales. My arguments will be broken down into genetics, linguistics, geography, and lifestyle.

First, I'll lay down the factual data, and then present my argument.

1. Genetics

Roughly 77% of Somali men have E3B. Particularly E-V32. This is also called E1b1b1a1a1b. If you wanna go back, simply find the ancestors.

E -> E1 -> E1b -> E1b1 -> E1b1b -> E1b1b1 -> E1b1b1a -> E1b1b1a1 -> E1b1b1a1a -> E1b1b1a1a1 -> E1b1b1a1a1b (Somalis).

Haplogroup E-V68 (E1b1b1a) is a direct ancestor. Then out of their descendants, M78

Finding the origin as definitive is difficult. However all the evidence seems to point to North Africa.

References:
1. https://academic.oup.com/mbe/article/24/6/1300/984002 (page 6)
Here's the wiki page on the Haplogroup: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_E-V68

1607430156890.png

Notice how it says the lineage was probably introduced into the Somali population 4000-5000 years ago. Remember this. It'll make the point below make a lot more sense.

2. Geography

What is now known as the Sahara Desert, wasn't a desert a mere 5000-6000 years ago, but a grassland, well suited for pastoralism.

Rock art in the region depicted things that cannot live in a desert. Giraffes, hippos, crocodiles, fish and turtles.

There were lakes and rivers during that time as well.

Due to planetary movements, the Sahara went through desertification. As nomadic pastoralists, what would be the logical thing to do when the grazing land is diminishing? You'd leave the region for better grasslands.

Here's a video that explains the event better:

3. Lifestyle

The Horn of Africa also got dry in the end of this period as well. And evidence for further migration south along the East African Rift Valley is seen in the Savanna Pastoral Neolithic. This is based on a general era known as the Pastoral Neolithic in Africa.

1607432168533.png

This already shows that Cushitic people existed in East Africa before Bantu populations. However with the Bantu, came metallurgy and agriculture, so their arrival wasn't a bad thing. They just came afterwards.

1607432284047.png

More and more evidence shows movement of Afroasiatic speaking pastoralists moving from the North to the Southern regions of Africa.

The Iraqw are an ethnic group that act as remnants of the Savanna Pastoral Neolithic.

4. Linguistics

Somali is an afroasiatic language.

Afroasiatic languages are more common in the Horn of Africa, The Sahel region of Africa, North Africa, and the Middle East.

The original inhabitants of East Africa and Central and South Africa, were the Nilotic and Khoi-San people. They don't share this language family.

Swahili, in East Africa is a Niger-Congo (particularly Bantu) language, and doesn't have a connection to the South Cushitic languages.

Based on the facts above, my position on the origin of the Somalis is as follows:

5000 years ago, Proto-Somalis migrated from North Africa, following the end of the African Humid Period. The desertification of the Sahara, resulted in a migration to move south. As desertification also impacted the Horn of Africa, there was no incentive for Somalis to use agriculture (except the south, where the two rivers flow). As such, pastoralism was preferred. As the population formed in the Horn, Somali as a language must have been developed over the thousands of years. As Nomadic Pastoral societies are more tight-knit and familial, homogeneity became the norm. As groups splintered off, different clans began to form. And as a collective, the Somali people were born.

Let me know what you think.

Last edited:

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP
I think Somalis come from some region in North Africa, 5000 years ago. Before y'all get mad at this view, read the entire post. It'll make sense. This ain't an anti-Black argument and shit. I only give a fk about the truth.

Hypothesis: Somalis were pastoralists from North Africa who migrated downward to the Horn of Africa, due to the desertification of the Sahara.

Below is my evidence, which will be based on science, not fairytales. My arguments will be broken down into genetics, linguistics, geography, and lifestyle.

1. Genetics

Roughly 77% of Somali men have E3B. Particularly E-V32. This is also called E1b1b1a1a1b. If you wanna go back, simply find the ancestors.

E -> E1 -> E1b -> E1b1 -> E1b1b -> E1b1b1 -> E1b1b1a -> E1b1b1a1 -> E1b1b1a1a -> E1b1b1a1a1 -> E1b1b1a1a1b (Somalis).

Haplogroup E-V68 (E1b1b1a) is a direct ancestor. Then out of their descendants, M78

Finding the origin as definitive is difficult. However all the evidence seems to point to North Africa.

References:
Here's the wiki page on the Haplogroup: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_E-V68

View attachment 157916

Notice how it says the lineage was probably introduced into the Somali population 4000-5000 years ago. Remember this. It'll make the point below make a lot more sense.

2. Geography

What is now known as the Sahara Desert, wasn't a desert a mere 5000-6000 years ago, but a grassland, well suited for pastoralism.

Rock art in the region depicted things that cannot live in a desert. Giraffes, hippos, crocodiles, fish and turtles.

Due to planetary movements, the Sahara went through desertification. As nomadic pastoralists, what would be the logical thing to do when the grazing land is diminishing? You'd leave the region for better grasslands.

3. Lifestyle

The Horn of Africa also got dry in the end of this period as well. And evidence for further migration south along the East African Rift Valley is seen in the Savanna Pastoral Neolithic. This is based on a general era known as the Pastoral Neolithic in Africa.

View attachment 157923

This already shows that Cushitic people existed in East Africa before Bantu populations. However with the Bantu, came metallurgy and agriculture, so their arrival wasn't a bad thing. They just came afterwards.

View attachment 157924

More and more evidence shows movement of Afroasiatic speaking pastoralists moving from the North to the Southern regions of Africa.

The Iraqw are an ethnic group that act as remnants of the Savanna Pastoral Neolithic.

4. Linguistics

Afroasiatic languages are more common in the Horn of Africa, The Sahel region of Africa, North Africa, and the Middle East.

The original inhabitants of East Africa and Central and South Africa, were the Nilotic and Khoi-San people. They don't share this language family.

Swahili, in East Africa is a Niger-Congo (particularly Bantu) language, and doesn't have a connection to the South Cushitic languages.

Based on the facts above, my position on the origin of the Somalis is as follows:

5000 years ago, Proto-Somalis migrated from North Africa, following the end of the African Humid Period. The desertification of the Sahara, resulted in a migration to move south. As desertification also impacted the Horn of Africa, there was no incentive for Somalis to use agriculture (except the south, where the two rivers flow). As such, pastoralism was preferred. As the population formed in the Horn, Somali as a language must have been developed over the thousands of years. As Nomadic Pastoral societies are more tight-knit and familial, homogeneity became the norm. As groups splintered off, different clans began to form. And as a collective, the Somali people were born.

They migrated from north-east africa toward the horn 9500 years ago, not 5000. The mutation of the haplogroup that somalis have "E-V32" accuired in a man 5000 years ago, which somalis are decendent from. So the 5k is about when this mutation happened not when the proto-cushitic started migration.

I think the paternal part of our ancestory came from North Africa, while the maternal part came from southern Ethiopia, because that is where the cushitic languege evolved.

I think the paternal part of our ancestory came from North Africa, while the maternal part came from southern Ethiopia, because that is where the cushitic languege evolved.
cushitic languages developed in the Sudan and later spread to northern ethiopia and eritrea not southern ethiopia

Som

VIP

1. Genetics

References:

View attachment 157916

2. Geography

3. Lifestyle

View attachment 157923

View attachment 157924

4. Linguistics

According to some theories cushitic speakers ancestors originated somewhere in northern Sudan, they came to the horn thousands of years ago, but those were not somalis , they were proto cushitic people

why do we have history and idenitify issues when it comes to somalis? how come there is so many hypothesis as to how somalis come about, why is that? what do scientists and actual historians say

Tradition testifies Emir Nur Mujahid was from Somali-Darod tribe of Marehan"

You can read the journal piece here;

https://www.jstor.org/stable/43581078

The German got the complete name of Emir Nur down saying he is;

Nur Ali Abdullahi of ad-Dhuha Suha/Marehan

Marehan have his abtirsi down as

Nur Ali Abdullahi Nur Yusuf Mataan Ciis Ahmed Mohamed Da'ud Abadir of reer Hodanbari/Mareexaan.

http://www.abtirsi.com/view.php?person= ... irsiLang=1

Notice his family surname is listed as ad-Dhuha Suha family in the German piece and in Marehan geneology he is part of reer Hodanbari

Dhuha = morning
Suha: beautiful/amazing

Hodan: wealthy/amazing (dhulkaan waa hodan)
Bari ; daybreak/early morning (nabad ku bari)

The family name is basically "waking up to a beautiful, vibrant morning" or "morning light"

There's other sources independent of this that are from the 1970s that state he is Marehan. Marehan inherited the Adal Sultanate after the Imam's death. Emir Nur's descendants, the Ina Nur guarded his tomb in Harar to this day.

Trending