I admit I don't give Somalis enough credit

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you don't believe in hell? I find it interesting that your views occasionally align with mainstream Islam.
The Quran very much stresses on the existence of hell in order to keep followers in check. I'm not sure what type of metaphor a blazing fire where molten brass and boiling water is the food of disbelievers alludes to if it isn't torture.
Are you Jewish? I heard they don't believe it's a place of torture but more of a "spiritual cleanse".
I don't think Jews believe in a hell of any kind sweetie.

But it's supposed to be timeless and meant for every civilization :( I don't know what to believe now
Some passages are for all civilizations, but some are time bound. For example the Quran commands that one should prepare horses for war. It's a command like no other, a command like the command against adultery. It must be obeyed. But today horses are obsolete for war. We use tanks and warplanes. So what should we do? If you take a literalist approach, you must use horses. But no sane person does that. Not even people who claim to be literalists. Religion is always subject to interpretation.

ArchBishopofAtheism

Intellectual saqajaan
Lmao I love how atheists believe they are intellectually superior because they believe in nothing :drakelaugh:

Fariiso naa :lolbron:
Why do you think "believing in something" is a good thing? Why does god need to be respected? Didn't he apparently create everything in the universe?

Some passages are for all civilizations, but some are time bound. For example the Quran commands that one should prepare horses for war. It's a command like no other, a command like the command against adultery. It must be obeyed. But today horses are obsolete for war. We use tanks and warplanes. So what should we do? If you take a literalist approach, you must use horses. But no sane person does that. Not even people who claim to be literalists. Religion is always subject to interpretation.
I see. Thanks for clearing that up.

I mean a reformation of how people practice Islam, if that makes you feel better. And it's not that people aren't perfect--they're just following the example of Muhammad, and I got bad news for you on the example of Muhammad.

Reformation isn't possible sxb. Bidah is not permissible in Islam. Islamic interpretations could perhaps be better aligned to suit the dominant culture of country, e.g. Not wearing a niqab in western countries. But complete reformation is impossible

4:89
"If they turn their backs, take them and slay them wherever you find them".

That's an ayah about colonialism. It's about a holy war where you fight for your right to live in your own land.

2:191 And kill them wherever you find them and expel them from wherever they have expelled you, and fitnah [Persecution] is worse than killing.

ArchBishopofAtheism

Intellectual saqajaan
Reformation isn't possible sxb. Bidah is not permissible in Islam. Islamic interpretations could perhaps be better aligned to suit the dominant culture of country, e.g. Not wearing a niqab in western countries. But complete reformation is impossible
Well it's coming to a head fast. The civilized world vs Islam is not a war you want if you're on the Islam side.

You're referring to this verse.

"The hypocrites wish that you would reject faith just like they have. Then, you will (descend down to their level and) be equal to them. Therefore, do not choose them as friends unless they (emigrate and) leave their homes in the path of Allah. If they revert (to open hostility), then seize and slay them wherever you see them. Do not take them as friends or protectors, nor as helpers."(4:89)

You see the difference in tone. It's called interpretation sweetheart. Next!!

This is the following ayah

Except for those who take refuge with a people between yourselves and whom is a treaty or those who come to you, their hearts strained at [the prospect of] fighting you or fighting their own people. And if Allah had willed, He could have given them power over you, and they would have fought you. So if they remove themselves from you and do not fight you and offer you peace, then Allah has not made for you a cause [for fighting] against them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts