How would you know a elements standard state?

I was doing some exam questions but i came across a formation cycle for the reaction SnO2 (s) + 2CO (g) ------> Sn(s) + 2CO2​

The guy said in carbons standard state it graphite. Its easy to remember but why is carbon, in its standard state, graphite​

Anyone. Google is having a meltdown andwont give me a fking straight answer. It goes into Astrophysics :faysalwtf:

Any one know?

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
Nervous Christopher Nolan GIF by Bombay Softwares

NidarNidar

Punisher

I was doing some exam questions but i came across a formation cycle for the reaction SnO2 (s) + 2CO (g) ------> Sn(s) + 2CO2​

The guy said in carbons standard state it graphite. Its easy to remember but why is carbon, in its standard state, graphite​

Anyone. Google is having a meltdown andwont give me a fking straight answer. It goes into Astrophysics :faysalwtf:

Any one know?
My Brother, chat gpt is your friend.

The standard state of an element is a set of conditions used as a reference point for thermodynamic data, particularly for gases. The standard state is typically defined as the most stable form of the element at a pressure of 1 bar (100 kPa or 1 atm) and a specified temperature, often 298.15 K (25°C).

For elements that exist as gases at the standard state, the standard state is the diatomic molecule. For example:

1. Hydrogen (H₂)
  2. Nitrogen (N₂)
  3. Oxygen (O₂)
  4. Fluorine (F₂)
  5. Chlorine (Cl₂)
  6. Bromine (Br₂)
  7. Iodine (I₂)
These elements are gases under standard conditions and are most stable in diatomic form. For elements that exist in other phases under standard conditions, their standard state is the form in which they exist at 1 bar and the specified temperature. For example:

1. Carbon (C) - graphite
  2. Sulfur (S) - rhombic sulfur
  3. Phosphorus (P) - white phosphorus
It's essential to note that for many elements, especially those in the solid or liquid state under standard conditions, the standard state is the most stable form at that particular temperature and pressure. If the standard state conditions change (e.g., different temperature or pressure), the standard state may also change.

My Brother, chat gpt is your friend.

The standard state of an element is a set of conditions used as a reference point for thermodynamic data, particularly for gases. The standard state is typically defined as the most stable form of the element at a pressure of 1 bar (100 kPa or 1 atm) and a specified temperature, often 298.15 K (25°C).

For elements that exist as gases at the standard state, the standard state is the diatomic molecule. For example:

1. Hydrogen (H₂)
  2. Nitrogen (N₂)
  3. Oxygen (O₂)
  4. Fluorine (F₂)
  5. Chlorine (Cl₂)
  6. Bromine (Br₂)
  7. Iodine (I₂)
These elements are gases under standard conditions and are most stable in diatomic form. For elements that exist in other phases under standard conditions, their standard state is the form in which they exist at 1 bar and the specified temperature. For example:

1. Carbon (C) - graphite
  2. Sulfur (S) - rhombic sulfur
  3. Phosphorus (P) - white phosphorus
It's essential to note that for many elements, especially those in the solid or liquid state under standard conditions, the standard state is the most stable form at that particular temperature and pressure. If the standard state conditions change (e.g., different temperature or pressure), the standard state may also change.
thanks saxib