How To Restore Somali Political Confidence In Each Other

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
The best model to restore Somali confidence is thru federation. It's about time we adopt the american model of presidential candidates, if you look at their elections and see the candidates lining up, they;re all 'ex governors' of regions. They gained their govt experience locally or regionally as a stepping stone.

Why don't Somalis want this system which Abdillahi Yusuf paved the way for? He came to Villa Somalia with government experience in PL, why can't all our leaders follow this model and gain experience in their homeland first.

Me and @Pwyneth Galtrow are damn serious about this matter as we are sick of ngo candidates of kheyre-hsm-rooble and sunday school teachers being elected to the top office and we see the same cycle happening again. All Somalis want to reach the top position but with no experience at the bottom, how can anyone trust a word you say? How can we expect to see a functional government when we have HAG candidates who come from the most dysfunctional regions in Somalia like HS/GM. Obviously they will just pass on their dysfunction at the federal level and keep us all stalled.

The only solution is to have each clan go back and seek government roles in their own land, gain much needed experience locally, deliver change and implement progress for your people. I would be more then happy to vote for you even if you come from another clan because I see a 'Track record' to judge you on.

Imagine how competitive and quality like our elections will be when regional ministers, mayors, governors of HS/GM/JL/SL/SW all stand up for federal election and we get to analyse their performance in their homeland. We will have a competitive politics based on quality then.

Somali Politics right now is a game of 'who has the wealthiest backers'.

I will never vote for someone who can't prove what they are capable of. I want a law that states nobody can run for the highest office unless they have held a mayorship/governorship and have a good track-record.

Why people trust some random man or woman that appeared out of nowhere is beyond me.

Jiron

wanaag
NABADOON
VIP
Unfortunately almost any system can be corrupted, say you require higher education as a prerequisite and some of the would be candidates would just buy one from online or an obscure uni in India with no way of verifying it.

That's just one example out of many. I say all candidates must declare their candidacy 4 years prior to running and be given 4 years to prove themselves in terms of personal accomplishment and designing ways of improving our society in some form or capacity.

* example include, provide education and jobs for orphans, women and minority groups
* come up with a system that prevents or reduces gender based or clan violence
* closely work with farmers in growing more crops and introducing them to new markets
* pave roads, build schools, fight deforestation via planting more trees
* have young professionals from the west come back home through a nonprofit program where we can teach our people, what we have learned.
and so on...

I believe things will get better, every 4 years we have made much improvements and we will continue to do so. :)

Somalia should be like the UAE which not only is a decentralised type of federation but that at the federal level is not ruled by a single figure but instead the whole country is ruled by a collective body made up of the leader of every regional state @DR OSMAN

Periplus

It is what it is
VIP
The problem with the state to federal government pipeline means that state leaders will lead with an eye on Xamar.

Also until we have a multi-party system, it means that state leaders will see themselves as opposition leaders to the federal government.

Therefore, it will always be in the interest of state leaders to oppose the federal government as the lower the popularity of the FGS, the higher the popularity of the state leader.

But people aren’t ready for this conversation.

:manny:

Calaf

Veni Vidi Vici
2022 CHESS CHAMP
GENERALISSIMO
VIP
Somali Politics right now is a game of 'who has the wealthiest backers'.

I will never vote for someone who can't prove what they are capable of. I want a law that states nobody can run for the highest office unless they have held a mayorship/governorship and have a good track-record.

Why people trust some random man or woman that appeared out of nowhere is beyond me.
Biden and Trump is a very good examples. Biden had a track record during VP, and was known. Trump first political office was president. Right now, polls are showing, Trump > Biden. Trump was disliked and hated due to his af-minshar behaviour, but seriously, he done the job.

Another example is Mohamed Abdullahi Farmajo, as PM he was popular due to standing up to foreigners, major army reforms and so on in a very small time. Today, as President, its a different case with different scenarios. Basically, it wasn't as rapid as his PM tenure. Hassan Shiekh Mohamud wasn't known at all till the day of the election, but albeit major corruption which tainted him recklessly, his track record was different.

Whose to say, they won't mess about once they became president as seen before, whose to say a business man with good experience would have been a better plight then the one with record.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
@Periplus @Calaf any sane government ensures they're presidential candidates at the federal or national stage has goverrnment experience, especially 'regionally' like you see with America and all the ex-governors running for office.

Why are u all so scared to return to your homelands and progress your people and then come together every 4 years in Mogadishu and having each region compete using your regional govt experience and accomplishments as proof to the voters that your competent. Now we can select who has the best performance regionally and reward them with the presidency at the federal level. It will lead to regional governments 'behaving and performing' as they start to 'fear' they may not get a federal role if they don't perform locally as another region with good leaders will be hot favorites to take somalia to the next step with 'confidence' from the people.

This idea Peri said that the regions will be used as stepping stone is a good system, it can stop inexperienced ppl wasting somalia's time every 4 year at the federal stage because u can look back at their achievements in their regional post to evaluate if they should be elected as president. Your now using past performance when measuring candidates not some dude that just comes out of 'shacabka' with no govt experience beyond NGO or Sunday School shit.

Trending

Latest posts