How rare is a left-handed Somali?

Are you left handed

  • Yes, I am

    Votes: 14 33.3%
  • No, I not

    Votes: 28 66.7%
  • I was left handed in my youth

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    42

psyche

To each their own
In general I have noticed a stark difference between left handed Muslims and left handed non-Muslims. With the latter being way more common than the former for me. This observation also extents to Somalis as well. So I wanted to formulate a poll to see how many people on here are lefties on this forum.

I would also appreciate it of some one can explain why Muslims in generally have a low level of left handedness.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
 

Ugaaso

Deni
One of my uncles was left handed but he trained his right hand for years and now is able to write with both hands.
to answer your question, I have no clue how religion has any effect on someone's handwriting.
 

psyche

To each their own
One of my uncles was left handed but he trained his right hand for years and now is able to write with both hands.
to answer your question, I have no clue how religion has any effect on someone's handwriting.
Personally I have met a couple people who claim that they were left handed in their youth, but were forced to transition to their right hand due to the left hand being the dirty hand in Islam. Usually I don't believe them because losing your handedness isn't as simple as being slapped on the hand a couple times.
 

Ugaaso

Deni
Personally I have met a couple people who claim that they were left handed in their youth, but were forced to transition to their right hand due to the left hand being the dirty hand in Islam. Usually I don't believe them because losing your handedness isn't as simple as being slapped on the hand a couple times.
In Somali community I don't think we have that kinda bad stigma.
 

Tukraq

VIP
I’ve met many Somali lefties, their named after our famous warrior Ahmed gurey and are held in high regard:fittytousand: were not Arabs who shame lefties:ayaanswag:
 

Basra

Like Donald Trump, I like to be Spanked.
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
In general I have noticed a stark difference between left handed Muslims and left handed non-Muslims. With the latter being way more common than the former for me. This observation also extents to Somalis as well. So I wanted to formulate a poll to see how many people on here are lefties on this forum.

I would also appreciate it of some one can explain why Muslims in generally have a low level of left handedness.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Left handed tend to be successful. That's why u own this website.
 

Basra

Like Donald Trump, I like to be Spanked.
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
@Basra how about you, what's your handedness? I would predict you would left handed as well due to your eccentric and playful personality.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I am right handed. Obama and Bill Clinton are the most famous left handed I know. They tend to be leaders. I am left brain, basically a girly birbie brain with eccentricity as u say, & intellectual, bordering schizo
 
Twin studies indicate that genetic factors explain 25% of the variance in handedness, while environmental factors explain the remaining 75%.
I'm aware it's not entirely genetic, that's why I said it's a component. But i've yet to see any research suggesting it's more prominent in one faith over another.
 

psyche

To each their own
I'm aware it's not entirely genetic, that's why I said it's a component. But i've yet to see any research suggesting it's more prominent in one faith over another.
I never meant to say that faith has influence on it, I am just saying that certain ethnic groups (mainly from the middle east, Africa and South Asia) who adhere to the Islamic religion are less likely to be left handed. This observation may be consequential or it could relate to the fact that in Islam people view the right hand as clean, which could cause some parents to force their child to switch their handedness.
 

Sophisticate

Steel Magnolia
Staff Member
Moderator
My father was left handed but became ambidextrous (through socio-cultural pressure).

And my brother is left handed as well.
 

Trending

Top