How many people would be interested.....

Alright so first of all congratulations. I am also planning to move to the North of Somalia to start a business in the near future. I am tired of the West.

What you said about the problems in real estate in Somalia is spot on. You essentially have to be there to be safe and fraud is also rife and add that to the undeveloped legal system which is unsurprisingly built on "ninka aad garanaysid"

Your investment application idea sounds good but what we really need is a property management company that is headquartered somewhere in Somalia to manage the various assets of Somalis abroad who do not have the time to deal with qashin and politics. The East and South Asian diaspora has done the same thing successfully.
MashaAllah, may Allah make it easy for you.

It is true that this happens, however it is much less common than it was before & much more difficult for someone to do now. On the plus side, when you look at the percentage of people who have bought land and had nothing happen to their asset, and you compare that to people who have had their land stolen from them--the overwhelming majority of people have been safe with their purchases Alhamdulillah. Nonetheless, evil people do exist and you could end up having your land stolen from you if you are not careful lol.

Property management would be a good idea if it were to assume responsibility for your land in the future if it becomes disputed. However, knowing the situation on the ground--no private business would have the power to do so. They would primarily be responsible for maintenance & finding you a tenant (someone paying rent if you built a house), however anything past that would be impossible.

How long did it take you to get use to the daily lifestyle back home?

My Somali is a 6/10, would I become fluent in 6months if I lived there?
The daily lifestyle was pretty easy to get used to, as it is much more relaxed and less stress-induced than what most people are used to in the West. However, the culture requires quite a bit of time to understand if you are not familiar living amongst locals.

6/10 is pretty good for a qurba-joog. I was 1/10 when I first came here, so you definitly can be fluent in 6 months given that you are actually practicing the language everywhere you go with the locals. I know guys that have been here for years that have not improved their Somali because they just hang out with other Somali Diaspora lol

Great timing subhana'Allah. I want to know everything. What part of the diaspora are you from? Have you found your "tribe"? aka other Somali diaspora members who've also gone back? Do you see yourself living there for long periods of time, or is this just a fad and you may go back to your other (Western) country? What about when you have kids iA. Do you want to raise them in the West, or in Somalia? Financially, do you think you could save more money there vs here? The taxes are brutal where I'm from (Canada). Thanks walaal!
Originally from America, but lived in Canada & the UK for significant periods of time. Lol, yes I have met many Diaspora that have actually moved back as well, it seems that every year that I have been here that more and more people have decided to settle here from the Diaspora (with the exception of this year of course--with the pandemic and all). Personally, I see myself here for the long run, I may have to travel a little bit for business and family purposes--but being settled here is what I've personally chosen. As for children--wherever I am settled they will be living with me:)

Financially, you can definitely save more money over here. I believe this 100%. Infact, it is quite difficult to save in the West without slaving yourself and micro-managing your income to the bone. You will be surprised how much these locals have in terms of real cash & assets. No glass ceiling over here either, free-market, and although taxes do exist--are nothing close in comparison to what we pay in the West.

@YourBrother my family live mostly in Xamar. What type of businesses do you think would be needed there that haven't been explored.

I was thinking of womens gyms and indoor swimming pools.
Quick question, would you be physically present in Xamar to run the business--or would you have somebody running it for you whilst living somewhere else? Most of the time, it is better to be present if you want to run a service business, but a women's only gym & indoor swimming pool are definitely good ideas if you are here on the ground.

Quick question, would you be physically present in Xamar to run the business--or would you have somebody running it for you whilst living somewhere else? Most of the time, it is better to be present if you want to run a service business, but a women's only gym & indoor swimming pool are definitely good ideas if you are here on the ground.

Inshallah I will personally be running the place but I will get my mum in the event that I am not available. I live in the UK and am at the beginning of my professional career so its too soon for me to move.

Ideally I will get married in a few years time and achieve my career goals by then. Hopefully I will make the move before I am 30 years old.

I heard you have to pay the government a large sum of money when opening up a business, is this true?
The most expensive business licenses are $500-600. Most are between $200-300. So no, there is not really any large sum of money that needs to be paid to open up a business. Infact, most businesses operate without a license to be honest lol

Inshallah I will personally be running the place but I will get my mum in the event that I am not available. I live in the UK and am at the beginning of my professional career so its too soon for me to move.

Ideally I will get married in a few years time and achieve my career goals by then. Hopefully I will make the move before I am 30 years old.
May Allah make it easy for you, a woman's only gym is very much needed. I don't think you will have a problem finding a market, and even better if you or hooyo are on the ground to manage things.

Trending

Latest posts