How many people would be interested.....

Long time lurker of this forum.. have decided to move on from the stage of quite observing to mild engagement after brief consideration:gnzbryw:

Soo.. member of the diaspora here who made the conscious decision to leave the "first world" and move back home to Somaliland around 5 years ago. Since then I have established a number of businesses (mainly in the fields of IT & Education), settled down & got used to the geeljire lifestyle. I know a lot of you on here have considered visiting or moving back home, so you can ask me any questions in this thread about the lifestyle back home--whether it's about culture, business, or anything else, I'll be happy to answer in Shaa Allah.

My question is:

If there was a sort of online platform that was created that gave members of the Diaspora an opportunity to invest back home, that was both safe and transparent, giving the investor adequate updates on his stock & equity--how many of you guys would be interested?

I ask this because I have recently developed an application that has delved into the real estate market, and I most often times see members of the diaspora being ripped off when purchasing land while abroad-- either by the overpricing, or fake "procedural" and service costs, or even just phony ownership.

Any input is appreciated, and feel free to ask me any questions:nvjpqts:

How was your first night like :stressed:
lol.. slept like a baby. First few weeks will definitely be a culture shock if you have never been back home before. I came in with the mindset that I was coming here to stay, so that definitely helped me adjust to the lifestyle. If you're a punk though the locals will walk all over you and empty your pockets very quickly

Are you married?
What made you move?
How hard/easy was it to start a business?
Education?
What do you miss about west?
How long were you in the West before you moved back?
Age when you came to the west
Age when you moved back

Are you married?
What made you move?
Education?
Age when you moved back
Calm down. He's not filling in a college application forum :whoa:

Are you married?
What made you move?
Education?
Age when you moved back
Yes, I got married here a few years ago. Decided to move after seeing the direction the environment in the West was taking--finished university had a good job and just decided all of a sudden to move one day. Everybody thought I was nuts--after they saw me doing well over here they were more impressed than anything lol.

In terms of starting a business, there are more opportunities here than in the West. Could be difficult to start a business if you are not familiar with the business culture here, so it is definitely recommended to do your due research before spending any money.

Mercury

Ha igu daalinee dantaada raac
VIP
Long time lurker of this forum.. have decided to move on from the stage of quite observing to mild engagement after brief consideration:gnzbryw:

Soo.. member of the diaspora here who made the conscious decision to leave the "first world" and move back home to Somaliland around 5 years ago. Since then I have established a number of businesses (mainly in the fields of IT & Education), settled down & got used to the geeljire lifestyle. I know a lot of you on here have considered visiting or moving back home, so you can ask me any questions in this thread about the lifestyle back home--whether it's about culture, business, or anything else, I'll be happy to answer in Shaa Allah.

My question is:

If there was a sort of online platform that was created that gave members of the Diaspora an opportunity to invest back home, that was both safe and transparent, giving the investor adequate updates on his stock & equity--how many of you guys would be interested?

I ask this because I have recently developed an application that has delved into the real estate market, and I most often times see members of the diaspora being ripped off when purchasing land while abroad-- either by the overpricing, or fake "procedural" and service costs, or even just phony ownership.

Any input is appreciated, and feel free to ask me any questions:nvjpqts:
Lets say I have land back in Somaliland all the papers to back up my ownership

What happens if someone else also buys the same land I purchased cause ive heard stories of people who own land and someone else also buyed the same land

Alright so first of all congratulations. I am also planning to move to the North of Somalia to start a business in the near future. I am tired of the West.

What you said about the problems in real estate in Somalia is spot on. You essentially have to be there to be safe and fraud is also rife and add that to the undeveloped legal system which is unsurprisingly built on "ninka aad garanaysid"

Your investment application idea sounds good but what we really need is a property management company that is headquartered somewhere in Somalia to manage the various assets of Somalis abroad who do not have the time to deal with qashin and politics. The East and South Asian diaspora has done the same thing successfully.

What happens if someone else also buys the same land I purchased cause ive heard stories of people who own land and someone else also buyed the same land
In that case you better hope you have a qabiil stronghold in that particular region and fight it out in court; you also better hope the court is impartial. This happened to someone I know and it was very ugly.

Mercury

Ha igu daalinee dantaada raac
VIP
Alright so first of all congratulations. I am also planning to move to the North of Somalia to start a business in the near future. I am tired of the West.

What you said about the problems in real estate in Somalia is spot on. You essentially have to be there to be safe and fraud is also rife and add that to the undeveloped legal system which is unsurprisingly built on "ninka aad garanaysid"

Your investment application idea sounds good but what we really need is a property management company that is headquartered somewhere in Somalia to manage the various assets of Somalis abroad who do not have the time to deal with qashin and politics. The East and South Asian diaspora has done the same thing successfully.

In that case you better hope you have a qabiil stronghold in that particular region and fight it out in court; you also better hope the court is impartial. This happened to someone I know and it was very ugly.
I have an uncle this happened to him a lady showed up buyed the land he owns and she had papers to backup her claim (forged papers) the guy she bought from was nowhere to be found while the person my uncle buyed it from died of old age in the end they came to a money settlement

dr.leorio

death\emitter
How long did it take you to get use to the daily lifestyle back home?

My Somali is a 6/10, would I become fluent in 6months if I lived there?

True this does happen however it is much less common now than it was a number of years ago. The best thing to do if you have ownership of land is to actually make sure that you do have all the of the papers that you need for your land (most of the time people don't know what type of papers entail actual ownership of the land)--which I can help you determine what you need exactly depending on which city you bought it in. Then it would be wise to physically mark the land in stone with your full name, and if you can build a little stone border (pretty cheap) around your land it would be much better. If you then have some family members that can perhaps once every two months or so look at the land and check up on it this would also be good.

If it does happen, you are going to end up disputing that land with the newly claimed owners and it could be a relatively long process.

Trending