How many generations do you go back till baadiye

So we know most somalis are nomadic, and most of our family left miiyi life at some point.

Was it yourself born in miiyi or your parents or as far back as grandparents. Let's hear those stories.

It can be a taboo subject us somalis like to call each other rer baadiye and lots of them pretend to have no connection.

I'll start with me, my father was born in the miiyi yes that's right, his family were nomadic tribesmen who moved every so often searching for water, his childhood is full of interesting stories of fighting lions, etc he then left as a teenager to join the somali army, where he met my mother in the city and they moved to south somalia to live a much more mundane urban life. Some of my father's siblings still remain in baadiye. Funny enough my father has now left the west in his 60s and bought a bunch of camels. I think we look down on that type of lifestyle but there is so much more beauty living amongst nature, no material crap, minilisit, sustainable using what you need, animals for milk, clothes, furniture, food.

how far do you go back to camel herding days?

Jiron

wanaag
NABADOON
VIP
dad was born in baadiye but moved to xamar after becoming an orphan in 1957
my maternal grandfather was a businessman, so my mom and her siblings were born in the city
:)

So we know most somalis are nomadic, and most of our family left miiyi life at some point.

Was it yourself born in miiyi or your parents or as far back as grandparents. Let's hear those stories.

It can be a taboo subject us somalis like to call each other rer baadiye and lots of them pretend to have no connection.

I'll start with me, my father was born in the miiyi yes that's right, his family were nomadic tribesmen who moved every so often searching for water, his childhood is full of interesting stories of fighting lions, etc he then left as a teenager to join the somali army, where he met my mother in the city and they moved to south somalia to live a much more mundane urban life. Some of my father's siblings still remain in baadiye. Funny enough my father has now left the west in his 60s and bought a bunch of camels. I think we look down on that type of lifestyle but there is so much more beauty living amongst nature, no material crap, minilisit, sustainable using what you need, animals for milk, clothes, furniture, food.

how far do you go back to camel herding days?

wow , we are so similar :banderas:
my dad left the miyi when he was 15 ,joined the army , then later met my mom in the city .

Gibiin-Udug

Crowned Queen of Puntland. Supporter of PuntExit
My 9th grandfather left badiye, even before that my family weren't reer badiye they lived in small towns. We are big city folks.

Why so sensitive. I just don't recall any somali town settlements that far back. During the Italian British colonialist period wasn't even 100 years ago.
8 generations is just about over 200 years ago, there are many ancient(>200 yr) cities that were founded by and remained under the control of the Majeerteen Sultanate since the late 18th century.examples(alula,bargaal,murcanyco ect)

SOULSEARCHING

Hakuna matata
VIP
My grandparents (dads family ) left baadiye in there mid 40's.

My mother was raised in a town, but moved a lot in between city and baadiye.

Her parents were reer magal.

Gokboru

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
My father blessed his heart escaped miyi on barefoot and enter the big city, his father (grandpa) and rest were Reer baadiye .

Trending