How is it possible that an Ethiopian Amhara is my third cousin on 23andMe?

This person has either lost his connection to a Somali grandparent or there was deception and lie that happened somewhere in his linage.

Attachments

• screenshot 3.png
    screenshot 3.png
    133.5 KB · Views: 1,394
  • screenshot 2.png
    screenshot 2.png
    108.1 KB · Views: 1,416

Som

VIP
Some amharas may have somali admixture , it's nit direct though. It probably comea from a harari or oromo ancestror who was mixed with Somalis

Its good to understand, how 23andme relatives work. 23andme testing is like the "One percent rule" in this case Ethnic Somali Blood.

I have more than 600 relatives, and, only, maybe 1-2% are related to me, indirectly through
distant 3rd cousins. The rest including Non Somalis. The only thing, we have in common is
that, they have at least 1% Somali ancestry.

Its good to understand, how 23andme relatives work. 23andme testing is like the "One percent rule" in this case Ethnic Somali Blood.

I have more than 600 relatives, and, only, maybe 1-2% are related to me, indirectly through
distant 3rd cousins. The rest including Non Somalis. The only thing, we have in common is
that, they have at least 1% Somali ancestry.

Funny enough Gedmatch picked up as my closest relative, I am now suspecting he might be a distant cousin, he must have somali relative

Attachments

• pic 4.png
    pic 4.png
    194.5 KB · Views: 230

convincation

Soomaali waa Hawiyah Iyo Hashiyah
VIP
If your clan was involved in the futuh al habash that may be why. Lots of the somalis entering the highlands got accustomed to the region and settled in assimilating over time. I even heard there’s a clan in wollo that claim to be issaq (habar awal) but have fully become amharaised. Maybe @Abba Sadacha knows more about this

If your clan was involved in the futuh al habash that may be why. Lots of the somalis entering the highlands got accustomed to the region and settled in assimilating over time. I even heard there’s a clan in wollo that claim to be issaq (habar awal) but have fully become amharaised. Maybe @Abba Sadacha knows more about this

When he messaged me on 23andMe, he said he was from Wollo and shewa !!!

convincation

VIP
When he messaged me on 23andMe, he said he was from Wollo and shewa !!!
Both those places have history with somalis. The sultanate of shoa came under ifat at some point and towns like shewa robit and metehera still have large native somali populations. It is very likey that this guy has distant family that are one of these assimilated somalis. Can I ask what your clan is?

Both those places have history with somalis. The sultanate of shoa came under ifat at some point and towns like shewa robit and metehera still have large native somali populations. It is very likey that this guy has distant family that are one of these assimilated somalis. Can I ask what your clan is?

I am isaaq, Habar Awal, that makes sense cause he said to me that some of his cousins did 23andme and they got somali ancestory but a lot less than him, when i asked how much, he said 5 to 10 percent.

convincation

VIP
I am isaaq, Habar Awal, that makes sense cause he said to me that some of his cousins did 23andme and they got somali ancestory but a lot less than him, when i asked how much, he said 5 to 10 percent.
Damn so the myth is true and some wollo amhara are actually lost habar awal. I thought it was just somali stories again but damn:dead:

The Somali ancestry is probably from his wollo side, ask if his cousins that took the test are also wollo

Damn so the myth is true and some wollo amhara are actually lost habar awal. I thought it was just somali stories again but damn:dead:

The Somali ancestry is probably from his wollo side, ask if his cousins that took the test are also wollo

Lol, i will ask him, are you sure about this mythical story, maybe its only his family side, not all wollo and shewa will have Somali ancestory. I have never heard of this story, give me a link to read upon it.

Trending