How important is it to you for your children to know Somali?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of the youth in the west are not accustomed to speaking the Somali language, and have difficulty speaking with their parents or elders in Somali because their first language is English. The child not knowing their mother tongue can be tough as they may feel left out when others are communicating in the language or even when they are going back home. Is it important to you guys for your child to know Somali, or you don't mind?

It is not only Somali that is important but language itself.

There are too many Somalis that cannot speak Somali but claim that they're much more fluent in English. That is not a problem as long as they are fully competent of the language, which is not the case for most diaspora.

I want my children to be 100% fluent in proper English and proper Somali.

It's very important to me . Its always good to know your mother tongue so there is no language barrier between you and your people back home.

Samaalic Era

QurboExit
Af-Somali is an identity. This sounds harsh but to lose the language of forefathers makes you no different to AA and other lost people. Af Somali is beautiful rich language whos people dont know how to utilize.

In a way, it helps distinguish the weak from the strong by seeing who is willing to take Af Gaalo instead Af-Somali.

4head

The one and only 4head
VIP
I will teach them to learn Somali and then other languages. And I have to strenghen my Af Somali since i'm losing it (i have nobody to talk to in Somali..) and it's a shame.

Manafesto

[[Puntland Republic 🇸🇱]]PIM[[C.S(BihinYusuf)]
VIP
HalimoEnthusiast
I was born in Somalia and grow up there, I personaly prefer to have my kids converse with me in Somali just like my parents.

It is not only Somali that is important but language itself.

There are too many Somalis that cannot speak Somali but claim that they're much more fluent in English. That is not a problem as long as they are fully competent of the language, which is not the case for most diaspora.

I want my children to be 100% fluent in proper English and proper Somali.

I definitely agree sxb. It's very important for our children to carry the culture and language of ours before it dies out. May Allah make it easy for you to teach your children
I was born in Somalia and grow up there, I personaly prefer to have my kids converse with me in Somali just like my parents.

Yes sxb, I agree. I was born and raised here, and have only been to Somalia once and my parents ONLY speak Somali in the house and we were raised to do the same.

Af-Somali is an identity. This sounds harsh but to lose the language of forefathers makes you no different to AA and other lost people. Af Somali is beautiful rich language whos people dont know how to utilize.

In a way, it helps distinguish the weak from the strong by seeing who is willing to take Af Gaalo instead Af-Somali.

This is deeeeep. Yes! So true. It must be a priority for us to teach our children aaf Somali so they feel a sense of belonging and not experience any cultural confusion. It’s crazy how a LOT of the youth in the west cannot utter a word in Somali. I’m not sure if it’s the parents to blame, or the children themselves?

It's very important to me . Its always good to know your mother tongue so there is no language barrier between you and your people back home.

Agreed. I’ve only ever been back home once and Alhamdulilah I was able to communicate with the locals quite easily but I don’t lnow what I would do if I wasn’t able to. It’s extremely important for you to know your language because of this. It’ll also be a huge embarrassment to your family if you aren’t able to speak to your people.

Samaalic Era

QurboExit
This is deeeeep. Yes! So true. It must be a priority for us to teach our children aaf Somali so they feel a sense of belonging and not experience any cultural confusion. It’s crazy how a LOT of the youth in the west cannot utter a word in Somali. I’m not sure if it’s the parents to blame, or the children themselves?

The Parents take 80% of the blame and the remainder goes to their children. Most Somali parents think Af-Somali is a language that has no significant worldly benefit and have a low view of it which gets passed down their children who then have no interest in it. This is devestating and threatens the language.

Yes, I plan to teach my kids everything about our culture/language except qabiil :)

Why not qabiil? Don’t you think it’s important for your children to know their lineage and the group of people they came from? I think that plays a major part in being Somali. The killings and violence that stems from qabiil and politics isn’t good, but if it’s for knowledge and origin purposes I don’t see what’s wrong with it.

I've struggled with speaking Somali all my life. I used to get away with situations where my older siblings or relatives would speak on my behalf. I would just stand there and smile, might be cute when you're a kid but as a grown man it comes across as retarded.

So yeah, speaking Somali is a must for anyone who wants to be part of the Somali community.

I've struggled with speaking Somali all my life. I used to get away with situations where my older siblings or relatives would speak on my behalf. I would just stand there and smile, might be cute when you're a kid but as a grown man it comes across as retarded.

So yeah, speaking Somali is a must for anyone who wants to be part of the Somali community.

Would you speak english to your parents? Yes sxb, how's your somali now? Are you integrated in the somali community and has it improved?

Status
Not open for further replies.