How important is it to you for your children to know Somali?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have the opportunity to learn from the mistakes of our parents. My parents spoke Somali to us but let us speak English at home. Now my siblings and I can barely speak the language.

When I have kids inshallah, I plan to enforce an Af Somali only rule at home and to vacation back home every year or two.

Language and culture are crucial in resisting assimilating into a gaal society.

Imagine if the parents were to stay firm on the decision of having their kids speak back to them in Somali. I can guarantee you the rates of somali speaking kids in the west would increase drastically. It all starts at home! The blame is on the parents, no doubt.

There is no point teaching your children Somali if you plan on living on the west. If you want your child to care about their religion or language, then move back home. Else just forget about your parents country, identity, language, and assimilate into your cadaan society so your descendants can marry non muslim ajnabis.

You don’t need to go to Somalia to learn the language. I was born and raised in the west, never stepped foot in Somalia and I, along with my siblings can speak the language. It’s all about how willing you are as a parent to teach them.

Start young and be consistent. Also do not accommodate your kids. Far too many parents speak English to their children and wonder why they can’t speak the language. My parents till this day speak to me in Somali and I respond back in Somali or sometimes English.

Also if kids have elders around like ayeeyo or awoowe, let the kids speak to them one on one, as opposed to having the parents serve as a translator for their ciyaal.

Your experiences resonate with me as well. I was also born and raised in the west, and only went to hargeisa for a little bit (2-3 weeks) when i was older. Before going, i was fluent in the somali language as our parents spoke little to no english with us in the household, and we were told to speak back in somali. Till this day i only reply back in aaf somali to my parents, and im grateful that this rule has been incorporated in our household alhamdulilah.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts