How I feel about Somaliland independence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Illegal referendum taken when the country was suffering from civil war. Who's to say there was no voting irregularities and voting fraud?
IMG_4791.jpg

Illegal referendum taken when the country was suffering from civil war. Who's to say there was no voting irregularities and voting fraud?

Yes observers only visited polling stations in where secession was supported. Sool sanaag was not monitored and there was reported voting fraud in those areas.

Somaliland referendum "impressingly free and fair"

afrol News, 8 June - In a statement released yesterday, the US-based Initiative and Referendum Institute (IRI) deemed the 31 May Somaliland referendum as free and fair. Observers had been "impressed by the level of effort in which Government and the people put forth in seeing that the election was conducted in a fair and open manner."

IRI's statement, "on behalf of the American, Swiss and British observation team," further expressed its "deepest appreciation to the Somaliland Government and people for their help and support during our visit," in a statement generally very favourable towards the Somaliland government.

The election observers also commended the Somaliland government and the citizens "for conducting this election free of violence" and commended the neighbouring governments "for not interfering with Somaliland's efforts at becoming a true Democracy."

- This election demonstrated the Somaliland Government's understanding that no government can be considered legitimate without allowing the citizens the opportunity to freely show their support or opposition to the proposed constitution and the rules and procedures in which the government will operate, the statement says.

The 11-person team of election observers, which travelled to a number of regions, consisted of American, Swiss and British observers. The Somaliland government said on 5 June that over 97 percent of voters had endorsed the new Constitution.

somaliland.gif
The final report analysing the election will first be issued over the coming weeks, but the preliminary analysis concludes positively. "No election is problem free and this election was no exception, but based on our initial observations, the election seems to have been conducted in a manner that was consistent with recognized international practices for referendum elections."

However, IRI said it was too early to definitively state whether or not the referendum on the constitution, which included an article on independence, had achieved its goal. The institute hoped its final report would "help [Somalilanders] in their struggle" for international recognition and was "wishing them well".

The institute had been approached to observe the referendum and financed by the Somaliland Forum, a Diaspora group campaigning for the international recognition of Somaliland's independence. The travel and accommodation expenses of the IRI team were also paid by the Somaliland Forum.

Sources: Based on IRI, UN sources and afrol archives

Merchant of Mogadishu

From Pella to Pattala, then back to Babylon
Their holier than thou atittude. They havent achieved nothin much in terms of infrastructure and economy.

Somalia waa hal sxb. Somalia will be better off if everyone was united. If one domino falls, the rest will fall after it. We all know what the grave consequences of Somalilands independence will bring to the Horn.

xisaabiye

Ibnu Suxuufi Ibnu Al Dhoobe
I'm tired of this argument. Just bring your fokin xabad or as Hadrawi said to the old republic anigoo wax dili kara duco qaadan maaye:birdman:

Merchant of Mogadishu

Why do you want Somaliland to be part of Somalia? Surely if the majority of somalilanders want to be independent than should you respect their choice. I've never got a proper answer

I cannot respect that choice when the majority of the people suffer from "Muh Qabiil" Syndrome, when they have been duped and ideologically poisoned by the politicians, there is NO REAL REASON why they should become independent EVER.

We are one ethnic group
One religion
One language

You cant say my Qabiil got massacred and we suffered from a genocide at the hands of a dictator so we should get independence. The world doesn't turn like that brother. If that was the case, then Somaliland would not be the only one calling for independence.

SirLancelLord

Reformation of Somaliland
VIP
Somaliland had 25 yrs to secede. They havent.....they hold elections but no referendum. Because they know that most of the somalilands citizens will choose somalia.

They held a referendum in 2001 with international observers who classed it free & fair you halfwit

Merchant of Mogadishu

And the Somaliland reforendum isn't valid because prior to 2009 SSC was controlled by Puntland

You suffer from muh qabiil syndrome whats so bad about an MJ ruling over you?
:farmajoyaab: Didn't you get the memo? I'm immune from that terrible disease. You on the other hand are not, its quite unfortunate really.

Lordilord

❤Somaliland❤
Somaliland had 25 yrs to secede. They havent.....they hold elections but no referendum. Because they know that most of the somalilands citizens will choose somalia.
What?? Chose your words better lol, they already did secede bro. What do you mean??
:mindblown:

I wouldn't mind if Beesha Dhexe secede at all and I wouldn't miss them but Dir and Darod need to be a part of Somalia. They have ties to us (their Dir and Darod brethren in the South) that unbreakable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending