How hard is it to learn af somali

Status
Not open for further replies.

psyche

To each their own
Recently in school I was having a conversation with my one of my English teacher about languages. He seemed to be a keen linguistic so I asked him how affluent he was in multiple languages.

He claimed that he knew at least five languages on a basic level and dabbed a bit in around 20 languages. So I asked him a no brainier and said how about Somali?

He then said that "Oh God no, anything but a cushitic language."
:gucciwhat:

So back to the reason why I made this thread, does anyone know how hard is it to learn Somali languages for non-Somalis?

It can't be that hard.

Diaspora ambassador

''Dagaalka gala'' Garaad Jaamac Garaad Cali
VIP
One can speak basic diaspora somali, but learning the full somali language is hard. I live in the netherlands dutch is a very hard language to learn propperly somali is even harder there are simply to much variations of words. And the volcabulary is huge.

Recently in school I was having a conversation with my one of my English teacher about languages. He seemed to be a keen linguistic so I asked him how affluent he was in multiple languages.

He claimed that he knew at least five languages on a basic level and dabbed a bit in around 20 languages. So I asked him a no brainier and said how about Somali?

So back to the reason why I made this thread, does anyone know how hard is it to learn Somali languages for non-Somalis?

It can't be that hard.
Learning Somali is not hard especially if you are Somali yourself. Now you got incorporate the reading into your reading habits. Even watching Somali stories on YouTube gets you closer to learning af somali

It can't be that hard.
Learning Somali if you're non Somali is bit tricky but not impossible

psyche

To each their own
Learning Somali if you're non Somali is bit tricky but not impossible

But what makes Somali so difficult in the first place?

Is it because it has some strange or tedious rules that are absent in other languages?

Radical

Certified CNC expert.
The language is stuck at the nomadic level. Its like Ancient Hebrew to Modern Hebrew. It needs a revival
Just add 'KA' or 'GA' at the end of every English noun and you're good

Example: moobeylka (mobile+KA) or buuga (book+GA)

A bit lazy but it helps in the lack of modern words.

The language is stuck at the nomadic level. Its like Ancient Hebrew to Modern Hebrew. It needs a revival
why didn't we adopt the Osmanya script? anything to makes us differnt. I'm starting to believe we weren't around for too long we have little or nothing of culture. we have like two plates of food, our language barely developed. I think being nomadic is impossible to have an identity

psyche

To each their own

So the lack of evolution has made Somali difficult for others to grasp. Interesting, how would you suggest we revive it and how long would it take?

Samaalic Era

QurboExit
Just add 'KA' or 'GA' at the end of every English noun and you're good

Example: moobeylka (mobile+KA) or buuga (book+GA)

A bit lazy but it helps in the lack of modern words.
Ive managed to Figure out how to build up Somali vocabulary in terms of scientific words and concepts. I'll make a thread on it later today In'sha'Allah

For an English speaker, the pronunciation is difficult, the grammar rules are chaotic (from an english perspective), the syntax is different so they would have difficulty knowing which structures are ok and which aren’t. Plurals come in many forms, there are several different verb moods to learn the proper usage of... yeah it’s pretty hard i’d say lol

Samaalic Era

QurboExit
So the lack of evolution has made Somali difficult for others to grasp. Interesting, how would you suggest we revive it and how long would it take?
It starts with first identifying Af Somali and its rules. There are rules,its just that the more we engage it, the more apparent it becomes. Also just as Arabic as the 3 letter word, Af Somali has its unusual version of it and a way to make a word Cushitic.

A solid 5 year plan is all that is needed in my calculation

Samaalic Era

QurboExit
why didn't we adopt the Osmanya script? anything to makes us differnt. I'm starting to believe we weren't around for too long we have little or nothing of culture. we have like two plates of food, our language barely developed. I think being nomadic is impossible to have an identity
For me personally, I use my own script that I developed for Af Somali and only use latin script online. I even began writing philosophical opinions and my religious views in it and its progressing well alhamdulillah

For me personally, I use my own script that I developed for Af Somali and only use latin script online. I even began writing philosophical opinions and my religious views in it and its progressing well alhamdulillah
post your work for us so we can learn why you holding it especially the text I wanna see

Mashallah may Allah increase your knowledge even more

MI

Ted Kaczynski respecter

Not true. Look at the Scythians, Yamnaya, Turks or even the Mongols for example; all were nomadic groups with advanced culture meaning pottery, art, strong idiosyncratic traditions and were often more advanced in warfare than agriculturist groups which is why they often steamrolled and conquered such groups they encountered. I mean look at this gold neckpiece made by nomads.
One reason I can think of why Somalis are relatively poor in history and didn’t even manage to conquer and supplant the neighboring fertile Abyssinian highlands (except for a very short stint in modern times with the help of the Ottomans & modern weaponry), is that all the groups I mentioned although being very different in ethnicity, all came from what’s called the Eurasian steppe or the Great Steppe. Those areas are much more suitable for grazing animals than the arid lands we call home and those other nomadic populations were more able to support a larger population with greater food security. Or we just suck.

psyche

To each their own
Not true. Look at the Scythians, Yamnaya, Turks or even the Mongols for example; all were nomadic groups with advanced culture meaning pottery, art, strong idiosyncratic traditions and were often more advanced in warfare than agriculturist groups which is why they often steamrolled and conquered such groups they encountered. I mean look at this gold neckpiece made by nomads.
One reason I can think of why Somalis are relatively poor in history and didn’t even manage to conquer and supplant the neighboring fertile Abyssinian highlands (except for a very short stint in modern times with the help of the Ottomans & modern weaponry), is that all the groups I mentioned although being very different in ethnicity, all came from what’s called the Eurasian steppe or the Great Steppe. Those areas are much more suitable for grazing animals than the arid lands we call home and those other nomadic populations were more able to support a larger population with greater food security. Or we just suck.

Probably due to us inhabiting the lowlands. Sometimes I wonder how different Somali people would have been if we settled in a more suitable enivornment for grazing.

The desert we live in doesn't do us any favors and is probably the reason we degressed.

Mighty

If wars can be started with lies, so can peace.
Its because it has no rules and lack of vocabulary that makes it difficult. In general tho, the Somali spoken today is the equivilent of Vulgar Latin
The problem is mainly due to af somali not being written and words not being updated. For example xeer could mean law in af Somali but we instead have Arabic word for it. Languages need to be updated just like hardware or it will die out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts