How common is a Plant-based lifestyle among Somalis?

Hey guys, I’m new here so I’m still navigating the website.

How common is vegetarianism/vegan life style among our people?

I’ve been a vegetarian for about 5 years now and leading into becoming fully plant based ( I hate the word Vegan, it just carries so much controversy). My reasons for not consuming is not bc of “saving the animals” as most people would assume of me, but simply bc I hate meat- I honestly just look at it as a dead carcass on my plate. I am absolutely repulsed by it. As for dairy, please look into the Dairy Industry
Now that I’m getting older (23) I often find myself thinking about dating and if I’d be okay with him eating meat and what that would mean for our potential kids. Obviously I want to marry within my culture but I feel like Somali men just love their meat
Any input would be great

Hey guys, I’m new here so I’m still navigating the website.

How common is vegetarianism/vegan life style among our people?

I’ve been a vegetarian for about 5 years now and leading into becoming fully plant based ( I hate the word Vegan, it just carries so much controversy). My reasons for not consuming is not bc of “saving the animals” as most people would assume of me, but simply bc I hate meat- I honestly just look at it as a dead carcass on my plate. I am absolutely repulsed by it. As for dairy, please look into the Dairy Industry
Now that I’m getting older (23) I often find myself thinking about dating and if I’d be okay with him eating meat and what that would mean for our potential kids. Obviously I want to marry within my culture but I feel like Somali men just love their meat
Any input would be great
Not common honestly. You’ll find people who eat clean though.

If I don't have my dose of brocoli, watermelon and hilib. I die
0BB0AB72-504F-4EDB-BED0-D3EF62EE90D1.png

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
I had this convo with some friends. Not a vegan. Totally opppsite. But my dietary habits are restrictive (more so than most). I have intentionally avoided dates for this reason. :kanyehmm: People consider food/eating a social affair and are offended when you opt out of not indulging in what they eat. Is this an issue for others? I don't think so but there is always that possibility that it may become so.

Tried it for a few weeks! Honestly felt good and healthy. But its just hard specially if you get invited to outings etc.

I have vegan friends but i dont think they're as strict. They eat sauces and soups made with meat and eat around the meat!

Also how about the b vitamins?

Not to mention you'll just eat bread alot more than usual and start gaining mad weight.

I had this convo with some friends. Not a vegan. Totally opppsite. But my dietary habits are restrictive (more so than most). I have intentionally avoided dates for this reason. :kanyehmm: People consider food/eating a social affair and are offended when you opt out of not indulging in what they eat. Is this an issue for others? I don't think so but there is always that possibility that it may become so.
It's shocking how bad people eat I've cut off sugar for a week and it's crazy how unhealthy everyday food is!

Radical

Certified CNC expert.
Welcome my fellow vegilante.

I believe plant based meals barely exist among our households, they are mostly an accessory to the meaty dishes rather than being served as an alternative. You'd have better luck exploring other cultures.

And that last sentence could also answer for your romantic ambitions but you shouldn't lose all hope in Somali men, we come in all shapes and sizes not just physically.

Removed

Gif-King
VIP
I love meat and love eating exotic animals I have even slaughtered animals and sheparded them for some time when I was younger.

I try eating vegan when I am not in close proximity of Halal food. Although I have been lax about that at times sadly.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Mukhalas

Macawiis, dacas iyo AK47.
If you don't consume red meat you're not somali, your mother must have lied to you.

I cannot survive a day without baris iyo xiliib as lunch or dinner.

Mukhalas

Macawiis, dacas iyo AK47.
Few years back I tried vegan tried vegan diet for 2 weeks, my T levels started going down I was even beginning to lose my morning wood.

Now I understand why most men in developed nations are struggling to impregnate their wives.

I tried a vegan diet for two weeks, I felt better and healthier but that shit was too expensive to maintain.

Also is better to be vegan in the west since alot of animal products are not halal and full of harmful chemicals.

Vanessa

Support interracial love 💕
VIP
I mostly see Somali women that practice vegetarian lifestyle, but their husband and kids eat meat.

Royalflush

novacane
saaxib this is a joke right?
i'll tell you what, go to your butchers and order half kilo of oodkac, killi, beer, hilib ari, hilib shiishiid, chicken, steak everything
go wild man and silci these animals, the world is your oyster- or is oysters haram in vegan deen

:ulyin:

ReerGarissa

Your feet look like two sacks of shit
You will eat meat one way or another when you are married so better start now.

I do not like political foodism. non meat eaters look like and smell like indians. Lentils. No good

x z

±somali supremacist, anti-inceI&queen in the north
not common amongst somalis. but very common amongst habeshas, vegans no.1 cuisine is ethiopian food. their stuff has become gentrified now, i remember walking in some rich posh cadaans market and seeing some dude advertise teff grain (flour used to make injera, indeginous to habeshas) and sell it for crazy amount. i was looking at his colonizer self wiith my habesha adjacent lens in disgust

Trending