How can i learn somali?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to learn to speak since i only understand currently most words. Has anyone learned somali? i feel like i'm not the only one in this position here since others have stated they are also learning the mother tongue. I'm going back to somalia hopeful this summer so i will have solid 3 months to converse with the locals and practice my dialect.

Will it take long to learn? is it a hard language? my friend wanted to teach me turkish and said it would take only a year since in his opinion turkish is not a hard language.

For anyone currently learning can you suggest some good books, apps or ways you are learning the language.

my trick to learning any language is to learn the swear words first and then build around it.
Yes it does have quite the impact on a child for him to repeat after his mother "abaha wass" only then for said child to grow up and learn that his mother was cussing his father all those years. Somali humour is strange it's like the mother's way of saying i wish your father never impregnated me with such a difficult child. My mother always shouted that when i did something bad.

:siilaanyolaugh:

Hey. Three months there should be enough time to learn the language. You should also not allow yourself to speak other languages besides somali in that 3 months duration. Also, allow yourself to sound stupid, because failure is the best tool to learn if you correct yourself. I was in your position not long ago, and i was embarrassed to speak somali to others because they allways clowned me, so i never felt confident enough to even try. But i stopped giving a damn, and just talked my broken somali until i became better and better.

Where in the country are you going?

Hey. Three months there should be enough time to learn the language. You should also not allow yourself to speak other languages besides somali in that 3 months duration. Also, allow yourself to sound stupid, because failure is the best tool to learn if you correct yourself. I was in your position not long ago, and i was embarrassed to speak somali to others because they allways clowned me, so i never felt confident enough to even try. But i stopped giving a damn, and just talked my broken somali until i became better and better.

Where in the country are you going?
Hopefully hargeisa to visit my mothers relatives.

Jiron

wanaag
NABADOON
VIP
You have to be willing to learn first, willing to make mistakes and not getting offended when people laugh at u. I am currently teaching my siblings the 'Ca', 'Xa', 'Kha', 'Qa' sounds which are absolutely critical in mastering af Somali and really hard for English speakers. I believe in you @Yaquub, you have all the traits above and will no doubt become fluent in reading, writing and speaking Af Somali in no time :)

Poetry
Improve your Somali lang skills from conversance to true fluency by listening to poetry.
As a northerner I've perfected my somali at a young age, Somali language i's easy since it's written in Latin alphabets.

Last edited:
You have to be willing to learn first, willing to make mistakes and not getting offended when people laugh at u. I am currently teaching my siblings the 'Ca', 'Xa', 'Kha', 'Qa' sounds which are absolutely critical in mastering af Somali and really hard for English speakers. I believe in you @Yaquub, you have all the traits above and will no doubt become fluent in reading, writing and speaking Af Somali in no time :)
I can speak arabic so some of those vowels are not really that hard for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.