How can i learn somali?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guts

Bosaso iyo Bandar Siyada
VIP
Manshallah brother, good luck with your trip. I recommend you talk with both old and young people when you go to Hargeisa. I went there with my family and we stayed for 6 months when i came back my family members told me i spoke like a real reer waqooyi
:cryinglaughsmiley:

I want to learn to speak since i only understand currently most words. Has anyone learned somali? i feel like i'm not the only one in this position here since others have stated they are also learning the mother tongue. I'm going back to somalia hopeful this summer so i will have solid 3 months to converse with the locals and practice my dialect.

Will it take long to learn? is it a hard language? my friend wanted to teach me turkish and said it would take only a year since in his opinion turkish is not a hard language.

For anyone currently learning can you suggest some good books, apps or ways you are learning the language.

I find the best form of learning Somali for me is reading Somali articles, watching Somali programs e.g horn cable tv and Islamic lectures.

But if you go out there to Hargeisa, you learn it pretty quick. Challange you self, just try speaking somali to locals without using English those 3 months.

Karim

I could agree with you but then we’d both be wrong
HALYEEY
VIP
Nah I have just Madow hair lol. I am Ciidagalle and carry T1a. Fathest thing from a Bantu a Somali can possibly be.
A Bantu ancestor has to be in your genes.. great-grandfather/mother. Otherwise you'd have a smooth Somali hair just like all of us.

I'm just gonna use books and websites/apps to learn the vocabulary and i will watch videos to help with the pronunciation.

Gibiin-Udug

Crowned Queen of Puntland. Supporter of PuntExit
Spend time with your grandparents. I learned pure afsomali in less than a year because I started regularly talking to my grandma.

Spend time with your grandparents. I learned pure afsomali in less than a year because I started regularly talking to my grandma.
Yes i love my maternal grandmother may god bless her. Both of my paternal grandparents died when i was young so i didn't get to spend much time with them.

Gibiin-Udug

Crowned Queen of Puntland. Supporter of PuntExit
Yes i love my maternal grandmother may god bless her. Both of my paternal grandparents died when i was young so i didn't get to spend much time with them.
Same here, I'm lucky that my maternal grandma with my family so I get to see and talk to her regularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.