How bad is cannabis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mohamud

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
provide recipts because there is no proof that marijuana lowers IQ.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3930618/

In 2010, adolescent cannabis abusers (ages 16–19) were found to have decreased right medial orbital prefrontal cortex volume compared to non-using counterparts; volume was also found to be positively correlated with age of initiation of marijuana use in the sample (i.e., younger age of first use associated with reduced orbital prefrontal cortex volume) [35]. A second study published in 2010 found that while age was associated with changes in brain morphometry among non-users, there was no relationship between age and cortical gyrification in adolescent and young adult cannabis users. Cannabis users did show decreased concavity of the sulci and sulci thinning in frontal, temporal, and parietal lobes compared to non-users, highlighting the potential for cannabis to disrupt normal brain developmental trajectories [36]. Ashtari and colleagues (2011) found that heavy adolescent cannabis users abstinent for a minimum of 30 days had smaller bilateral hippocampal volumes compared to controls, and smaller right hippocampal volume was correlated with more self-reported cannabis use among users; no between group differences were observed in amygdala volume [37].

Studies evaluating early- and late-onset marijuana users have provided considerable insight into the effects of cannabis use on adolescent neurodevelopment. For example, Ehrenreich and colleagues (1999) found that initiation of marijuana use prior to age 16 predicted impaired reaction time on a task of sustained attentional processing [28]. In 2003, Pope and colleagues also found that early-onset (or initiation prior to age 17) was related to poorer performance on verbal memory and fluency tasks, as well as verbal IQ [29]. Focusing on executive functioning, Fontes and colleagues (2011) examined 104 chronic cannabis users ages 18–55. All participants met criteria for DSM-IV cannabis abuse or dependence. The authors found that adolescent cannabis users reporting initiation prior to age 15 demonstrated poorer performance on tasks of sustained attention, impulse control, and executive functioning [30].

now that IS NOT a correlation to decreased IQ because those tests need to be controlled separately, however, there is at least some evidence that adolescent brains are not as equipped to handle prolonged use.

and even the study suggests that it has moments where the control group show relatively minimal or no effects on the brain due to cannabis use.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3930618/

now that IS NOT a correlation to decreased IQ because those tests need to be controlled separately, however, there is at least some evidence that adolescent brains are not as equipped to handle prolonged use.

and even the study suggests that it has moments where the control group show relatively minimal or no effects on the brain due to cannabis use.
these are talking about abusers. of course the abuse of anything can have affects on health. most recreational smokers (who are adults) don't abuse it and at the very most it would be once or twice a day.

VixR

Veritas
Not sure, apparently not good for a developing brain. I see ppl say that, yet it's very common in middle schools and high school.

No matter how much I see weed advocates bash alcohol in favor of weed, in my mind weed seems worse for some reason and still has a neggy rep in relation to alchy with the public :ftw9nwa:

But I would like to try it some time, in a few years. I've seen and know ppl who take trips to certain areas of Seattle or Colorado for "that good s/hit".

Mckenzie

We star in movies NASA pay to watch
VIP
I was just reading how Angelina divorced Brad Pitt after a decade being married because he kept smoking the kush, it turned him into a deadbeat husband and dad with anger problems. It's the cold truth many people don't like to hear, but that shit ain't for everyone. Especially a young child, it can mess up his studies so easily. Joints before class, after class, soon he'll be skipping classes to smoke all the time. Just let him know he needs to make better decisions early in life

Mckenzie

We star in movies NASA pay to watch
VIP
Not sure, apparently not good for a developing brain. I see ppl say that, yet it's very common in middle schools and high school.

No matter how much I see weed advocates bash alcohol in favor of weed, in my mind weed seems worse for some reason and still has a neggy rep in relation to alchy with the public :ftw9nwa:

But I would like to try it some time, in a few years. I've seen and know ppl who take trips to certain areas of Seattle or Colorado for "that good s/hit".

:hmm: cannabis worse than alcohol? It's only acceptable to drink from a legal perspective and it's full on cadaan culture. Chill with Jamaicans, that jungleweed is a religion for them

VixR

Veritas
:hmm: cannabis worse than alcohol? It's only acceptable to drink from a legal perspective and it's full on cadaan culture. Chill with Jamaicans, that jungleweed is a religion for them
I have complicated views on alcohol. Cannabis, I don't really know what to think about, but societally it's still less acceptable than alcohol. I've heard ppl make arguments for one over the other both ways.

BebsiBolice

Suicidal men adore me.

It's definitely not good. Alcohol isn't as well but unlike alcohol there hasn't been a long term study on weed.

I've seen people become incredibly slow after smoking it for years.

BebsiBolice

Suicidal men adore me.

Yes alcohol is socially accepted because it's ingrained in western culture just like unfortunately khat is in Somali culture.

The difference is that there hasn't been a long term study on weed and the effect that it has on the human brain.

VixR

Veritas
Yeah an old friend of mine. Couldn't understand what the dude was saying. He was like a vegetable. He was a huge weed smoker. Smoked several grams a day for a couple of years.

Thanks to him I've never done drugs.
Hmm, could be he was smoking dirty stuff.

I know some pretty smart ppl that I know smoke from time to time. Not sure, but there must be variables to it. Either way, I for sure support long term research efforts, esp now that it's legal for recreational use in some states.

I've just been scared to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending