How accurate is 23andme cousins?

Apollo

VIP
23andme got busted in this CBC investigation. Watch this video

It did not get busted at all. That video is highly misleading. Their raw data was correct and only the interpretation differs per company. The core science behind it is still legitimate.

Apparently some of them are my second cousins yet I don't even know them. I call bullshit on it.

View attachment 93902

The ones above 1.4% shared and with more than a handful of segments are your real second cousins.

Second cousins are not necessarily people you know in real life:

family.png

Bohol

VIP
Apparently I am third cousins with this half white chick it would mean she is the descendant of my great grandparent sibling. My great grandfather brother use to live in the UK in the 1940s so it is possible.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Apollo

VIP
I tried out to see if their cousin matching system was legitimate and tested a person whom I know in real life and share a great-great grandfather with and he came out as 1.5% shared with 7 segments. So I don't think it is false.

Bohol

VIP
I tried out to see if their cousin matching system was legitimate and tested a person whom I know in real life and share a great-great grandfather with and he came out as 1.5% shared with 7 segments. So I don't think it is false.

So basically the 3 top usernames are real. 5.78% that is too close. :gucciwhat:

Arabsiyawi

HA Activist.
Apparently some of them are my second cousins yet I don't even know them. I call bullshit on it.

View attachment 93902

I matched with my real (2nd) cousin living in Kenya (I didn’t know her). We share 1.7% of DNA which is the average for 2nd cousins. She’s the daughter of my moms 1st cousin.

For the rest, I’d say anything above 0.20% is pretty accurate. The rest might be errors, unless you also share these matches with some of you more significant matches.
I matched this Amhara with only 0.07% dna and we actually have other Ethiopians and Somalis together so I think this one is legit.

Bohol

VIP
I matched with my real (2nd) cousin living in Kenya (I didn’t know her). We share 1.7% of DNA which is the average for 2nd cousins. She’s the daughter of my moms 1st cousin.

For the rest, I’d say anything above 0.20% is pretty accurate. The rest might be errors, unless you also share these matches with some of you more significant matches.
I matched this Amhara with only 0.07% dna and we actually have other Ethiopians and Somalis together so I think this one is legit.

I messaged them also using map to see where they are located. A lot of them are in UK, some in USA, some in Somalia and Kenya. Even one in Nigeria :lol: .

Arabsiyawi

HA Activist.
WOW!

Only 25...

That means you come from some laangaab area of Somalia.

On my account I currently have 300.

He’s definitely lying lol. I’m 89% sure we all matched together lool... I’m related to much of the Somali youtubers who’ve done the test hahaha