Homophobes come in: Homosexuality is hereditary

Status
Not open for further replies.
The findings, shared at the annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in Chicago, revealed that in a study that tested the DNA of 409 gay men, at least two chromosomes may affect a man’s sexual orientation.

"Sexual orientation has nothing to do with choice. Our findings suggest there may be genes at play, and we found evidence for two sets that affect whether a man is gay or straight," said Michael Bailey of Northwestern University, who carried out the research.

The study involved drawing blood from 409 gay brothers and heterosexual members of their families. Analysis confirmed that an area on the X chromosome – which men inherit from their mothers -- known as Xq28 has some impact on sexual orientation. Another stretch of DNA on chromosome 8 also affects male sexual behavior, they said.

While the work has yet to be published, the findings confirm the results of a controversial study conducted in 1993 by Dean Hamer, a scientist at the U.S. National Cancer Institute.

:damedamn:

And again in 2015

The study by Dr Tuck C Ngun and his team at the University of California created an algorithm which, by measuring small genetic modifications which occur after birth,could guess the sexual orientation of males with up to 70 percent accuracy.

:drakelaugh:

I saw an older homosexual man teaching his younger boyfriend how to act and walk gay. Homosexuality is definitely a learned trait.

We already have plenty of previous research that points to major biological influences on sexual orientation. This includes "gay gene" studies that have identified the Xq28 marker on the X chromosome as associated with homosexuality. Other research has found that among identical twins where one brother is gay the likelihood of the other brother also being gay is much greater than the incidence of homosexuality in the general population.

Research has further revealed differences between gay and non-gay men in physical attributes caused by hormonal influences in the womb. These include differences in physique, brain structure, finger lengths, penis size (gay men tend to be better endowed than straight men), and the age of puberty (on average gay men mature earlier than heterosexual men).

:mjlol:

@merka denying biology.

:bell:

I don't know why people would choose to be homosexual tbh

There are more negatives to it than positives, not to mention that you can get killed for it in some places

There is no gay gene. That's not what I said. Xq28 is chemically modified after birth and that causes homosexuality. Homosexuality can be detected 70% of the time.

:mjlol:

Don't twist my words @merka. Accept science
If you use this strategy, chances are you will find a positive result through random chance alone. Chances are some combination of methylation marks out of the original 6,000 will be significantly linked to sexual orientation, whether they genuinely affect sexual orientation or not. This is a well-known statistical problem that can be at least partly countered by running what’s called a correction for multiple testing. The team didn’t do that. (In an email to The Atlantic, Ngun denies that such a correction was necessary.)

And, “like everyone else in the history of epigenetics studies they could not resist trying to interpret the findings mechanistically,” wrote John Greally from the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in a blog post. By which he means: They gave the results an imprimatur of plausibility by noting the roles of the genes affected by the five epi-marks. One is involved in controlling immune genes that have been linked to sexual attraction. Another is involved in moving molecules along neurons. Could epi-marks on these genes influence someone’s sexual attraction? Maybe. It’s also plausible that someone’s sexual orientation influences epi-marks on these genes. Correlation, after all, does not imply causation.

So, ultimately, what we have is an underpowered fishing expedition that used inappropriate statistics and that snagged results which may be false positives. Epigenetics marks may well be involved in sexual orientation. But this study, despite its claims, does not prove that and, as designed, could not have.

In a response to Greally’s post, Ngun admitted that the study was underpowered. “The reality is that we had basically no funding,” he said. “The sample size was not what we wanted. But do I hold out for some impossible ideal or do I work with what I have? I chose the latter.” He also told Nature News that he plans to “replicate the study in a different group of twins and also determine whether the same marks are more common in gay men than in straight men in a large and diverse population.”
:mjlol::camby:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts