Hate it ot love it Siyad bare was the greatest leader of all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.
He messed up pretty badly in the end but he did make Somalia one of the top countries in Africa for a long time so give him credit for that.

Nabeel786

Southie pride
I don't get the Barre reminisce squad, dude is long gone no amount of Wet fantasies about so called "Golden Somalia " could bring him back. And you keep forgetting that he was a dictator stuff that I read about him was just horrible, how could anyone admire such a corrupt human being
Only when we look a bad side that what comes up but we have to look the good side I mean what he have done for Somali people as a nation with honor.
Xaqiraada mafiicno, ninka libintiisa siiya.

angrycat

not so sad after all
hate him or love him, far from it. You're just comparing him to the poor excuse for leaders (and I use that term VERY loosely) that have graced the country for the past 2 and a half decades . but comparing him to the rest of the civilized world, what did he really do so great that'd earn him such a title?

Only when we look a bad side that what comes up but we have to look the good side I mean what he have done for Somali people as a nation with honor.
Xaqiraada mafiicno, ninka libintiisa siiya.
Everyone has their own interpretation of Bare some view him as the Messiah of Golden age Somalia while others view him as a murderous/greedy clan warlord who facilitated the destruction of Somalia

Well, we Somalis always deny and try to hide the fact about history.
Siyad bare ruled the country 21 years people only see the mistakes he have done but can't see how he make Somalia greatest nation ever exist. One example.
He sent to Kismayu 12 Air defense and 6000 soldiers to invade Kenya it was early 1984 when Kenya try to massacre many Somali innocent living Wait, Garza and so on.
He gave a call to Moi and said if you touch my people you will regret and am coming to Nairobi right away. What happened afterwards?

2u59mwl.jpg

A Somali military officer Mahamoud Mohamed put Moi back in power after a unsuccessful coup d'eta. Kenyan's and Ethiopians can never be trusted, they will always turn against you.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1982_Kenyan_coup_d'état_attempt

Nabeel786

Southie pride
All in all. He wanted to bring Somali together as one strong nation but some idiot politicians interpreted their clans wrongly and miss leaded shacabka in to wrong direction.

BebsiBolice

Suicidal men adore me.
Siad Barre led Somalia into a disastrous war with Ethiopia that recked the nation's military and economy. He then executed dozens of military leaders who had admirably served their country during the war because he feared a coup.

Siad Barre cynically manipulated Somalia's clannish tendencies, pitting clan against clan, and he also used the government's power to mercilessly crack down on clans he considered his enemies.

Siad Barre killed and imprisoned thousands of Somalis without due process. When Somalia was a colony, Somalis had due process but under Siad Barre they had none. Where was the freedom that Somalis struggled for during the independence movement?

Siad Barre tolerated corruption, cronyism, and clanism because it helped him stay in power. If he was a true nationalist, he would not have tolerated these things just because they were helpful to his personal rule.

During Siad Barre's reign the country went from a hopeful society, democratic and bustling, into a fearful, divided, and broken society. An uneducated man, he did not really understand statecraft and relied on brute force to remain in power. He appointed his relatives, like Jama Barre, to important positions that they were not at all qualified to assume. No wonder then that everything went horribly wrong.

The list of sins that Siad Barre committed against the Somali people during his 21-year dictatorship is very long, and very sad. He is one of the major reasons why the country is a complete mess today. He may have started off as a benevolent dictator, but he soon turned into a self-centered predator who cannibalized the Somali state and left a dead corpse when he was ousted in 1991. It's sad that he stubbornly refused to step down despite the numerous opportunities he was given to retire comfortably. He had the chance to spare the country from civil war but he was too selfish and vain to give up power.

I don't blame Siad Barre for everything that has gone wrong in Somalia, but no honest person can deny the horrible legacy he left behind.

I let my mother read this and she agrees. My mother just told me he used to execute students on the streets, students that were demonstrating. Maka Mokrama is the name of the street that Siad Barre executed students on. He also created a curfew between 4 and 5 in the afternoon no one was allowed to walk freely in Xamar. He was horribly.

I let my mother read this and she agrees. My mother just told me he used to execute students on the streets, students that were demonstrating. Maka Mokrama is the name of the street that Siad Barre executed students on. He also created a curfew between 4 and 5 in the afternoon no one was allowed to walk freely in Xamar. He was horribly.

The street executions began in the late 80s and climaxed in 91. By the point the SNA had disintegrated as a professional fighting force and Barre relied on his personal guard and groups of hastily recruited, poorly trained militiamen to do his dirty work. He wanted to intimidate Mogadishu residents through these killings, but he failed and the residents actually ended up rising against him and ransacking Villa Somalia before USC arrived. When the USC did arrive, they did not restore law and order and heal the trauma Barre caused, but instead unleashed a level of violence that surpassed his. The USC systematically killed thousands of Darod people, looted on a mass scale, and did nothing to maintain even basic security and order. The USC was so horrible that they ended up making Barre looking good in the eyes of many Somalis.

waraabe

Your superior
The street executions began in the late 80s and climaxed in 91. By the point the SNA had disintegrated as a professional fighting force and Barre relied on his personal guard and groups of hastily recruited, poorly trained militiamen to do his dirty work. He wanted to intimidate Mogadishu residents through these killings, but he failed and the residents actually ended up rising against him and ransacking Villa Somalia before USC arrived. When the USC did arrive, they did not restore law and order and heal the trauma Barre caused, but instead unleashed a level of violence that surpassed his. The USC systematically killed thousands of Darod people, looted on a mass scale, and did nothing to maintain even basic security and order. The USC was so horrible that they ended up making Barre looking good in the eyes of many Somalis.

Actually usc was fighting for majority of Somalis, different darod didn't flock to keep their clansman siyaad in Power and fight for him then we wouldn't have what happened

Actually usc was fighting for majority of Somalis, different darod didn't flock to keep their clansman siyaad in Power and fight for him then we wouldn't have what happened

Darod "flocked" to Siad Barre AFTER they had been targeted by USC.
The experience of being killed and driven out of Mogadishu by the USC was what so angered all the Darod sub-clans that they put aside their political differences and united to fight back.
Had the USC not systemically killed innocent Darod people, like the anti-Barre, pro-democracy activist Dr. Abyan, Barre would have received very little support from Darod, who were fed up with him as much as anybody else (A lot of the anti-Barre insurgent groups were Darod, like SSDF, SPM, etc).
Even Marexan was split into two factions, with one faction refusing to back Barre.
USC was ruthless and shortsighted and very incompetent. They made a bad situation incomprehensibly worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending