Has Autism Existed In Somalia Or Is This A New Phenomenon

I don’t believe we have a word for Autism besides attributing it to Jiin. Has Autism increased since arriving to the western World Or has this always existed in Somalia ?

xLibaxsenderx

Hana deul
Autism is the physical manifestation of the overall intelligence decline of the world as a a whole coupled with poor diet, lack of spirituality, over indulgence.

No I believe its new because Camel milk actually helps cure Autism

King Khufu

Dignified Gentlemen
No I believe its new because Camel milk actually helps cure Autism

CANO GEEL - THE CURE!
OIP (1).jpg

How do you think the civil war happened? You should see how these adults used to about qabiil like children. Either autism or low-Iq. I've also seen people say low vitamin-d during pregnancy causes Autism, which might actually make sense.

I dont think mental illnesses are even believed to exist there but they get attributed to djins or insanity, forget about mental disorders diagnosis like autism etc.

I dont think mental illnesses are even believed to exist there but they get attributed to djins or insanity, forget about mental disorders diagnosis like autism etc.
Mental health disorders existed but had no diagnosis. Same way Somalis say cancer didn’t exist back home.

El Nino

Cabsi cabsi
VIP
Autism has been tied to lack of vitamin D and we know there is no lack of sunlight back home.

Autism definitely might have been present in Somalia but the relatively high occurence in the west by somalis is something new. My theories are lack of sunlight, poor diet of the mothers and bleaching which causes birth defects.

All 3 risk factors need to be addressed.

I don't believe in autism conspiracy theories but i do find it interesting and frankly suspicious on how many Somali refugees or their children in the West are diagnosed with autism compared to other refugee groups like Afghans, Iraqis, Syrians etc. I'm not kidding when i say that almost every Somali i have met in the Netherlands or in the Nordic countries had or knew someone close to them that was either autistic/schizophrenic or something else.

And it's not even autism but other mental illnesses. Honestly I do believe that some of it is overdiagnosed. Of course there still exist a big stigma on mental health in the Somali community but this does not explain why other refugee or poorer communities don't have these numbers.

Aurelian

Forza Somalia!
VIP
How do you think the civil war happened? You should see how these adults used to about qabiil like children. Either autism or low-Iq. I've also seen people say low vitamin-d during pregnancy causes Autism, which might actually make sense.
Do not blame autism or autistic for the civil war.

3LetterzMM

LG gang we gon slide for my nigga 🤐🥷
Autism has always existed back home we jus don’t have recorded proof of it cause low iq ass niggas thought they were possessed

LibaanSom

From Kismaayo
it existed, they’d often get harassed and made fun of because yk how they give a different atmosphere? People would say “maskax kisa wu jiranyahay”

My uncle is autistic and grew up during the height of the civil war

Somalis are low iq and dont understand ideas like autism. there were a lot of people who looking back now where most likely autistic and on the spectrum but people just thought they were slow/retarded or just outright crazy

Last edited:
I don’t believe we have a word for Autism besides attributing it to Jiin. Has Autism increased since arriving to the western World Or has this always existed in Somalia ?
A lot of our people want to call this the “western disease” and how it didn’t exist back there, but my father and aunts have all confirmed it did, but “special needs” chidlren were seen as shameful and labeled crazy and thus were hidden from the public.
So because kids like this were hidden… people think oh it didn’t exist.

It’s younger people who never grew up there trying to always be like it wasn’t around back in Somalia, but ask the older people.
They’ve told me crazy stories. How they were chained in the home.

No one knew how to deal with a kid like that.

My dad and uncles said they knew a few
families that had autistic children like that, but the mother would only bring out her normal children and act as if she didn’t have a kid like that, who was taken care of by the maid.

He said some were chained to the inside of the house cause they would run away and some familes flat out didn’t want others to know they had a “broken” child.

Somalis are low iq and dont understand ideas like autism. there were a lot of people who looking back now where most likely autistic and on the spectrum but people just thought they were slow/retarded or just outright crazy
That’s what my father and uncles / aunts told me. That back then … we didn’t understand nor have the training to deal with autistic kids and thus they were chained and treated like shitt.
Also labeled them as simply crazy.

So because we didn’t have a word for them, of course people would claim they didn’t exist.

They also said it was not just in Somalia that did that. It was the case in many countries in Africa. My father also lived in Johannsburg and they did the same things over there to kids like that.

Last edited:
it existed, they’d often get harassed and made fun of because yk how they give a different atmosphere? People would say “maskax kisa wu jiranyahay”

My uncle is autistic and grew up during the height of the civil war
Oh man. My father said it was brutal the way autistic kids were treated.
He even said the women who gave birth to kids like that were deemed broken and how it was seen as a “curse”.

Everyone sees it that way. Including my mother with my brother. That it’s a curse for something she did in the past.

He even told me tea about a woman he knew that had left during the war and brought her other normal children but purposely left behind the autisitic child and they were taken care of by the maids or family who stayed behind.

Autism has always existed back home we jus don’t have recorded proof of it cause low iq ass niggas thought they were possessed
Allah forgive me, but I laughed. That’s what my abo said. He even remembered how folks would be in fear of them cause they thought they had the shaydaan in them.

But yes we didn’t have no written documents of them, on top of them being hidden.

Trending