Hamza Yusuf: "If you humiliate a ruler, God will humiliate you!"

Timo Jareer and proud

2nd Emir of the Akh Right Movement
How anybody is still defending Siad Barre, a man who committed genocide against the Isaaq and Majerteen who where supposed to be "his people" is disgusting. I have lost the majority of my maternal family to that genocidal savage, and for people to still defend his actions in 2019 is sad. Shame on you OP this is a horrible thread.

tyrannicalmanager

pseudo-intellectual
How anybody is still defending Siad Barre, a man who committed genocide against the Isaaq and Majerteen who where supposed to be "his people" is disgusting. I have lost the majority of my maternal family to that genocidal savage, and for people to still defend his actions in 2019 is sad. Shame on you OP this is a horrible thread.
weren't you a oromo guy pretending to be a dir?

One man singled handily destroyed a nation and a people.

All he had to do was resign, no civil war, no bombings of the North, no Clan fighting.

But Gaalo are arrogant people.

Timo Jareer and proud

2nd Emir of the Akh Right Movement
One man singled handily destroyed a nation and a people.

All he had to do was resign, no civil war, no bombings of the North, no Clan fighting.

But Gaalo are arrogant people.
Dictators don't know what the definition of resign is. That's why they always learn the hard way. Then 1 million + people dead.

This is true and is quite telling of the humiliation that has since befallen Libya and Somalia. They took gaals as friends and fought against their just rulers. Libya has been plagued with anarchy to an extent and slavery. While Somalia has had to deal with lawlessness, extremism, piracy, AMISOM and other issues.

May Allah SWT grant the Lion of Africa Mohamed Siyaad Barre janatuul firdous. Amiin.

Tukraq

VIP
This is true and is quite telling of the humiliation that has since befallen Libya and Somalia. They took gaals as friends and fought against their just rulers. Libya has been plagued with anarchy to an extent and slavery. While Somalia has had to deal with lawlessness, extremism, piracy, AMISOM and other issues.

May Allah SWT grant the Lion of Africa Mohamed Siyaad Barre janatuul firdous. Amiin.
Siyad barre himself did the same thing lol, literally fought his ruler and took gaals as friends and was humiliated in the same fashion

Siyad barre himself did the same thing lol, literally fought his ruler and took gaals as friends and was humiliated in the same fashion

There was no ruler that he fought. The guy before him that had the post for about 2 years was assassinated by his bodyguard thus leaving the country without a leader. And as the commander of the Armed forces Maj Gen. Barre took the situation into his own hands and took over power through a bloodless-coup. There is no humiliation or blemish on his resume, those that tried to usurp his power will live with the humiliation that has since followed his leaving of office. They tried to wrestle control from him and only met with lawlessness and have never been able to fill his shoes ever since. Poetic Justice.

Tukraq

VIP
There was no ruler that he fought. The guy before him that had the post for about 2 years was assassinated by his bodyguard thus leaving the country without a leader. And as the commander of the Armed forces Maj Gen. Barre took the situation into his own hands and took over power through a bloodless-coup. There is no humiliation or blemish on his resume, those that tried to usurp his power will live with the humiliation that has since followed his leaving of office. They tried to wrestle control from him and only met with lawlessness and have never been able to fill his shoes ever since. Poetic Justice.

Not true AY was better

Not true AY was better

This AY was imprisoned by Maj Gen. Barre for petulance and once he was released from prison went straight to the Ethiopian Mengistu led government for assistance in fighting the Somali Government. Since we were directly funding/arming Eritrean and WSLF freedom fighters in Ethiopia it was strategic for Ethiopia to arm our traitors and moles which this AY was the first among. When his SSDF rebel group surrendered in the fight against the nation they came to an agreement with Maj Gen. Barre which was upheld.

So I don't get what you mean when you say AY was better. They were never in the same league so comparing them doesn't make much sense whatsoever.

Tukraq

VIP
This AY was imprisoned by Maj Gen. Barre for petulance and once he was released from prison went straight to the Ethiopian Mengistu led government for assistance in fighting the Somali Government. Since we were directly funding/arming Eritrean and WSLF freedom fighters in Ethiopia it was strategic for Ethiopia to arm our traitors and moles which this AY was the first among. When his SSDF rebel group surrendered in the fight against the nation they came to an agreement with Maj Gen. Barre which was upheld.

So I don't get what you mean when you say AY was better. They were never in the same league so comparing them doesn't make much sense whatsoever.
your acting like barre didn't also team up with outsiders in Russia to do the same damn thing and take down our democracy with his rebel army

TekNiKo

“I am an empathic and emotionally-aware person.
VIP
Lol, you're a real fan of that wolf in sheep clothes arren't you?
Keep giving him your ajar, I love that Sheikh he inspired me to become closer to Allah SWT. May Allah SWT elevate his rank

Muslims and their love of dictators, Hamza Yusuf lives good because of the dictators who host him in Qatar, will you live like him?

Speaking of Siad Barre (RIP), the man would've prayed for Karl Marx only if the Russians supported him. Here he is telling the leaders of a powerful Christian Right sect (The Family) in America that he and Somalis (by force offcourse) will pray for Jesus.

Jeff Sharlet on “The Family: The Secret Fundamentalism at the Heart of American Power”

AMY GOODMAN: And Siad Barre of Somalia?

JEFF SHARLET: Yeah, dictator of Somalia. It’s, to me, one of the scariest stories that I found in their archives. I was able to recreate this, because they dumped 600 boxes of papers in the Billy Graham archives. Siad Barre was a —- not a likely candidate for Christian right recruitment, called himself a Koranic Marxist. But in the early ’80s, the Soviets had abandoned him. There had been a power shift between Somalia and Ethiopia. He was in the market for a new patron. And working through Senator Chuck Grassley, Republican of Iowa, of course still in office -—

AMY GOODMAN: Talk more about Chuck Grassley, who certainly is in the news now, who, together with Max Baucus, heads the Senate Finance Committee.

JEFF SHARLET: Yeah.

AMY GOODMAN: Baucus, Democrat; Grassley, Republican. Very powerful figure, especially around healthcare right now.

JEFF SHARLET: Indeed. And Grassley has been involved with the organization for quite some time, since the ’80s, when he traveled to Somalia to join Barre, Siad Barre, in prayer to Jesus. And he brought with him a defense contractor named Bill Brehm.

And Barre was a kind of a cynical character, as you might expect for a dictator. He was very clear. He says, “I’m willing to pray to Jesus, and here’s what I want in return.” He says, “I want my defense budget doubled.” He says, “I want meetings for my officials with the Reagan White House. And I want a sort of a hands-off policy while I crack down on some rebels.” Doug Coe, the leader of the group, wrote back, in essence, “Done, done and done.”

And when we look at history, so it was. And Barre used those weapons, supplied to him in part by the US, to wage a war of almost biblical proportion on his own people, from which Somalia has not recovered to this day. The Family doesn’t consider that a failure; they consider that God’s will for Somalia.

EFF SHARLET: I think that’s one of the most important aspects of this. I think, too often, progressives tend to see the Christian right as simply an auxiliary of the Republican Party, whereas the movement, especially through the Family, has recognized that you stay in power not by aligning yourself too closely with one faction, but by having lots of friends. So, Hillary Clinton, Senator Mark Pryor of Arkansas, who was, of course, instrumental in fighting against the Employee Free Choice Act, which would have made unionization much, much easier. He explained to me the Family’s approach to Democratic bipartisanship. He said, “Jesus didn’t come to take sides; He came to take over.” That’s a Democrat speaking. So, Republicans and Democrats working together.

Chuck Grassley, a guy who’s been involved for such a long time. Grassley was involved with the Somalia project throughout the 1980s. They recognize that Somalia, of course, is a nation of great strategic importance, right there on the Horn of Africa. So, even as they are pursuing what they say is a religious agenda, it’s also meshing very neatly with a certain kind of agenda of American expansionist power and oil, frankly.

AMY GOODMAN: And rarely is the devastation of the failed state of Somalia talked about in terms of its history, that the US, for decades, supported this dictator, Siad Barre.

JEFF SHARLET: Yeah, yeah, exactly. The story, for most Americans, begins with George Bush very nobly sending over these troops to fight the warlords. It begins with Black Hawk Down. And we don’t recognize that it was really — I mean, Somalia almost — is almost a purest case possible of US support for an absolutely murderous regime.

In the face of all odds, too. I mean, there’s nothing, it seemed, that Barre could do to dissuade the Family that he was worthy of support, even to the point of insulting Doug Coe, the leader of the group, who used a sad case, the death of his son, wrote to Barre and said, “My son has died today. And as he was dying, he was speaking of you and how important you are.” It was a strange, crass move. Barre didn’t play along. He said, “I never knew your son. But keep the money flowing.” And they did.

AMY GOODMAN: We’re talking to Jeff Sharlet. He’s author of The Family: The Secret Fundamentalism at the Heart of American Power. We’ll come back to talk about more of the members of this secretive group that some have called one of the most powerful organizations in America. Stay with us.

Watch the whole interview

This Podcast is about The Family with the journalist Jeff Sharlet as their guest.

The Fundamentalist Threat to American Democracy with Jeff Sharlet

I watched the 5 part series of ‘The Family’ on Netflix and it is a great watch.

Trending

Latest posts