Guided Missiles Strange Technology

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
How are guided missles from say Washington DC hit a building with accuracy in a town say in London or 10 downing street? They apparently have this capability and it's called guided missiles across continents. How is it done? They say they use a radar system with coordinates that is satellite and GPS based in the sky. That's fine once you have actually located the coordinates of the building, how do you deliver the missile towards the target? For example I can punch in an address in my google maps but that isn't enough that just gives my the direction. What is applied to the missile in order to reach the coordinates and target?

I suspect fuel would be needed to be estimated, you would need to know the distance between where your shooting it from and the target location. Distance needs to be known or else it may not make the destination. Then you would need to forget the path on the missle up first into the sky, then horizontal and then angle down when near target. What sort of physical hardware do they use to guide the missle into different positions and angles and what mathamatics do they apply to ensure precision and when it's actually done?

That's how you fuckin talk science not this crappy terminology and words you talk about because a missle is a physical object and it doesn't understand your terminology anyways and your technical terms. You need to know your problem and the tools you have and how to apply it.

Now let some fuckin answer that so we can build our own missile intercontinental system.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
I suspect you would need to understand how to shoot the rocket into the air first and give it an initial hard push or break the velocity of gravity initially because gravity is pulling it down from going up. So you would need to understand gravity and it's measurements and apply that into the power necessary to break that gravity hold.

Then you would need to figure out how keep the missile in horizontal angle cruise mode over a long distance because it's covering large land space and once it reaches the coordinate location slowly begin to descent or angle towards vertical position and hit the target you seek. But you need to understand angles because you will need to go up vertically, then hold it horizontally over the distance, and then vertically come down on the target when it reaches the location.

Lets play mathamatics on that the mathamatic buffs and what maths you can apply on this real world problem. I guess we could learn how GPS and a Car interact to not only identifying a location but how it speaks to the hardware the steering wheel, accelarator, brake, and how it takes bends, curves, horizontal and vertical roads because the path way won't be all that different in the air with guided missiles.

I suspect the software gps part is transferred to the hardware in missiles using some sort of transitional drivers. You would need to convert electricity language whichis on and off and use some driver and convert that into a table to mean what the missiles does in terms of actions like take a left, take a right, go straight, go down, etc. The software wouldn't be very complicating as it's very limited instructions you would need to give the missile.

Last edited:

Wardheere

Qolana Janno qolana naar
How are guided missles from say Washington DC hit a building with accuracy in a town say in London or 10 downing street? They apparently have this capability and it's called guided missiles across continents. How is it done? They say they use a radar system with coordinates that is satellite and GPS based in the sky. That's fine once you have actually located the coordinates of the building, how do you deliver the missile towards the target? For example I can punch in an address in my google maps but that isn't enough that just gives my the direction. What is applied to the missile in order to reach the coordinates and target?

I suspect fuel would be needed to be estimated, you would need to know the distance between where your shooting it from and the target location. Distance needs to be known or else it may not make the destination. Then you would need to forget the path on the missle up first into the sky, then horizontal and then angle down when near target. What sort of physical hardware do they use to guide the missle into different positions and angles and what mathamatics do they apply to ensure precision and when it's actually done?

That's how you fuckin talk science not this crappy terminology and words you talk about because a missle is a physical object and it doesn't understand your terminology anyways and your technical terms. You need to know your problem and the tools you have and how to apply it.

Now let some fuckin answer that so we can build our own missile intercontinental system.
No need to know distance. You throw it vertically up towards space. Once it reaches space. It needs no energy and stays there and orbits the earth. Once coordinates are closest it deploys reserve energy and does reentry and hits target.

That is for intercontinental missles.

That is why when they testing it they shoot it up into space.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
No need to know distance. You throw it vertically up towards space. Once it reaches space. It needs no energy and stays there and orbits the earth. Once coordinates are closest it deploys reserve energy and does reentry and hits target.

That is for intercontinental missles.

That is why when they testing it they shoot it up into space.

Oh ok thats interesting is there a difference between guided missles and intercontinental missiles? I seen north korea shooting up with a-lot of pressure into the sky. That makes a lot of sense because if you aim for the sky at the highest point and have a radar system to pinpoint coordinates or satellite system to tell you the location of a building you will still need to guide it towards the angle of the host building or site from the top of the sky.

Plus you need to know distance or else how do you work the required fuel for the missile for the destination? plus you need to know distance because the location of the missile and building are separated by distance, you can't ignore distance if there is space between you and where your aiming the missile towards. Plus I assume you need to know how much power and motors you need in the missile.

Those north korean tests are working out if the missile can make the distance when they shoot it up in the sky and hit it back down into water, it works out the speed it travelling up and speed it's travelling down and if it cuts the distance and if you can apply it for coordinate training to ensure accuracy, for example apply an accuracy test for the missile within the water or having some object floating in the water to hit

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
GPS helps to some extent but for urban warfare those signals tend to get jammed.

Hence you use laser guidance.

Some grunt sneaks in nearby the target and uses a laser to guide the missiles to the target.

Not sure about the specifics and tbh I don't want to know as I don't want o end up on some list.

They used to use the stars for guidance in the past... I'm sure they have much better tech today... Machine vision maybe?

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
GPS helps to some extent but for urban warfare those signals tend to get jammed.

Hence you use laser guidance.

Some grunt sneaks in nearby the target and uses a laser to guide the missiles to the target.

Not sure about the specifics and tbh I don't want to know as I don't want o end up on some list.

They used to use the stars for guidance in the past... I'm sure they have much better tech today... Machine vision maybe?

So are you saying they use laser out of space to pinpoint the target location? So for example, shoot the missile up into space and then hold it there and turn on a laser to pinpoint the target location and re-enter the earth at high velocity speed following the laser into the target? Is that how it works or am I misunderstanding it?

By the way you still need to work out the distance from out of space to the target location, plus you need to work out the distance from your location up till out of earth space, you would need to know the speed it needs to travel either up into space and down into the target. Funny thing is when does the laser get used, is it on the missle itself? is the path dotted with laser guidance dots to follow into the target?

We need far more information as that is scanty and not really explaining it well.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
Besides you would still need to make a turn somewhere even outer of space cause the earth is curved. Either when your going up or coming down a curve would need to be done due to the earth curvature. For example. I am in Washington DC. I Would need to know the coordinates of Somalia and aim the missile above Somalia outer space location. So I would need to curve the missile to the location of Somalia coordinates from DC. It would be like shoot up while holding a curve or pathway of Somalia coordinates so it goes right to Somalia continental land-mass coordinates but have the missile located in Somalia outer space.

From the above paragraph your missile is in the right coordinates outer space, you would need to zoom into the city and then building, how that works would be interesting? A laser pointing to the target building from outer space which is at least 100 KM away may locate it but then how would you guide the missile to follow the laser since laser isn't physical it's more non physical lighting system. The sun is great to give us visiblity but it's useless to guide a passenger plane to a certain location. Even GPS is useless, it can help tell you where something is, but it won't take you there. For example my CAR GPS can locate an address, but it won't take me there unless I drive the route. What's the mechanics on the missiles to follow the laser or GPS?

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
So are you saying they use laser out of space to pinpoint the target location? So for example, shoot the missile up into space and then hold it there and turn on a laser to pinpoint the target location and re-enter the earth at high velocity speed following the laser into the target? Is that how it works or am I misunderstanding it?

By the way you still need to work out the distance from out of space to the target location, plus you need to work out the distance from your location up till out of earth space, you would need to know the speed it needs to travel either up into space and down into the target. Funny thing is when does the laser get used, is it on the missle itself? is the path dotted with laser guidance dots to follow into the target?

We need far more information as that is scanty and not really explaining it well.

No ICBM'S are the only ones that go through space.

They don't need meter level guidance as they are usually nukes in them that just need to get within 100 meters of the target.

Laser guided missiles require someone to be near the target and use a laser to guide the missile to the target like a pointer. The range for these missiles are 1-2,000 miles max. They don't go sub-orbital.

Missiles also have cameras on them with software that could recognize a landscape on re-entry and guide missile autonomously like those driverless cars.

Why are you so suddenly interested in this stuff anyways?

Somalia could do with an air defense system though since UAE plans to gift our national airline to Al Shabaab (Fahad Yasin).

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP

They don't need meter level guidance as they are usually nukes in them that just need to get within 100 meters of the target.

Laser guided missiles require someone to be near the target and use a laser to guide the missile to the target like a pointer. The range for these missiles are 1-2,000 miles max. They don't go sub-orbital.

Missiles also have cameras on them with software that could recognize a landscape on re-entry and guide missile autonomously like those driverless cars.

Somalia could do with an air defense system though since UAE plans to gift our national airline to Al Shabaab (Fahad Yasin).

Camera recognizing a landscape? I got a camera and it doesn't recognise a landscape, a camera purpose is to capture the landscape not interpret it unless of course you have some software that takes a picture of the landscape and compares it against one on file for comparison. But that comment a Camera recognizes a landscape is not explaining what your saying because a camera by default is just a camera and captures images or video, it has no special software to interpret what it's capturing. You would need some separate software that analyzes the camera images against what's on file for a known location and the missile would need to make a decision.

I doubt missiles are that sophiscated, it's a metal based object and anything metal or mechanical simply cannot make decisions in a second like that especially while in mid-air and doing re-entry into a target location unless it has a central processing unit, some sort of mapping table taking signals and translating it to actions on the missiles. What's the point of a laser guided missile if you need someone there locally to guide it? How would that work, would you need to stand near the target building and apply a laser beam on it so the missile can see it? What soft of software does the missile use to translate the laser beam is in-fact the targt building? could it be confused if say there are other lasers present and it goes all haywire and hits a wrong target?

Driverless vehicles I am not sure how software works with mechanical parts, but software needs electricity because in computers it translates electricity and feeds it to the central processing unit who then maps it to a function on the hardware. So if you hit the K letter on the keyboard that will send an electricity signal and that signal travels down the motherboard pathway to the central processing unit and it takes that signal and passes it onto the software driver who then performs another translation to translate that as the letter K on your screen after you hit the keyboard.

Notice your keyboard doesn't do anything untill you interact with it? but it's different for each part of the motherboard, for example the screen doesn't require interaction from us and it automatically turns on and stays on. So it would require the same electricity signal being sent to the central processing unit and it then passes it to the video driver who translates that signal and allocates it to light up for example if electricity signal is detected= keep screen alive.

That's machine and software langauge. Electricity signal is very basic level and just 1 and 0s in a various combination and sequences. We need you to explain missile technology at a detail level like I explained computer hardware and software interaction. Your just brushing over it with vague information as if it's just googled and not in depth understanding.

Last edited:

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP

Please don't google this stuff, I don't google anything. I am thinking how it would work just through mere analysing the problem and the technology available in the world and how they would bring it together for such sophisticated targetting of buildings. Someone had to figure this out, so we should be able too also because last time I checked the brain and mine wasn't much different.

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
Please don't google this stuff, I don't google anything. I am thinking how it would work just through mere analysing the problem and the technology available in the world and how they would bring it together for such sophisticated targetting of buildings. Someone had to figure this out, so we should be able too also because last time I checked the brain and mine wasn't much different.

Cool. Have fun.

BankaTuyo

حيران
Wikipedia says:

(( A ballistic missile follows a ballistic trajectory to deliver one or more warheads on a predetermined target. These weapons are only guided during relatively brief periods of flight—most of their trajectory is unpowered, being governed by gravity and air resistance if in the atmosphere. Shorter range ballistic missiles stay within the Earth's atmosphere, while longer-ranged intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs), are launched on a sub-orbital flight trajectory and spend most of their flight out of the atmosphere.

These weapons are in a distinct category from cruise missiles, which are aerodynamically guided in powered flight
))

From this we understand that ICBMs use a simple trajectory of going up, leveling off, and then coming down, using a predetermined point of start and a predetermined end point. and require little to no entry when in active flight. this means there is an insignificant input if at all to alter the already taken predetermined path of flight. to understand even more how these delivery systems work wee need to know what they use for Guidance.

Contrary to the popular believe an ICBM can but NEVER uses GPS to deliver it is payload to a target, the disadvantage here being that Satellites can be taken out in the situation of war either directly using a weapon or indirectly through hacking, to which an ICBM on-board smart chip would be vulnerable ; so in order to eliminate the Cyber-warfare vector from the equation countries never use GPS for the ICBM delivery systems.

instead ICBMs use what is called an Innertial Navigation System; Wikipedia says:

(( An inertial navigation system (INS) is a navigation aid that uses a computer, motion sensors (accelerometers), rotation sensors (gyroscopes), and occasionally magnetic sensors (magnetometers) to continuously calculate by dead reckoning the position, the orientation, and the velocity (direction and speed of movement) of a moving object without the need for external references.[1] It is used on vehicles such as ships, aircraft, submarines, guided missiles, and spacecraft. ))

ICBMs as we all know predated GPS by decades; so their delivery had to be all analog and simple computers to guide the systems on board, i personally do not have a good grasp on the details of how an INS might work, but what i understand is that ICBMs use an old technology independent of external factors for all intents and purposes to do their job of delivering payloads.

on another note; someone said in a post missiles float in orbit. this simply is not true because when talking about orbital mechanics the hardest and sophisticated aspect of orbital vehicle is keeping it in orbit; this is where most of the fuel is used when putting satellites in orbit and when spaceshuttle is preparing to rendezvous and dock with the international space stations.

it is very simple to shoot things to space but extremely difficult to keep them their and put them in an stable orbit.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
Wikipedia says:

(( A ballistic missile follows a ballistic trajectory to deliver one or more warheads on a predetermined target. These weapons are only guided during relatively brief periods of flight—most of their trajectory is unpowered, being governed by gravity and air resistance if in the atmosphere. Shorter range ballistic missiles stay within the Earth's atmosphere, while longer-ranged intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBMs), are launched on a sub-orbital flight trajectory and spend most of their flight out of the atmosphere.

These weapons are in a distinct category from cruise missiles, which are aerodynamically guided in powered flight
))

From this we understand that ICBMs use a simple trajectory of going up, leveling off, and then coming down, using a predetermined point of start and a predetermined end point. and require little to no entry when in active flight. this means there is an insignificant input if at all to alter the already taken predetermined path of flight. to understand even more how these delivery systems work wee need to know what they use for Guidance.

Contrary to the popular believe an ICBM can but NEVER uses GPS to deliver it is payload to a target, the disadvantage here being that Satellites can be taken out in the situation of war either directly using a weapon or indirectly through hacking, to which an ICBM on-board smart chip would be vulnerable ; so in order to eliminate the Cyber-warfare vector from the equation countries never use GPS for the ICBM delivery systems.

instead ICBMs use what is called an Innertial Navigation System; Wikipedia says:

(( An inertial navigation system (INS) is a navigation aid that uses a computer, motion sensors (accelerometers), rotation sensors (gyroscopes), and occasionally magnetic sensors (magnetometers) to continuously calculate by dead reckoning the position, the orientation, and the velocity (direction and speed of movement) of a moving object without the need for external references.[1] It is used on vehicles such as ships, aircraft, submarines, guided missiles, and spacecraft. ))

ICBMs as we all know predated GPS by decades; so their delivery had to be all analog and simple computers to guide the systems on board, i personally do not have a good grasp on the details of how an INS might work, but what i understand is that ICBMs use an old technology independent of external factors for all intents and purposes to do their job of delivering payloads.

on another note; someone said in a post missiles float in orbit. this simply is not true because when talking about orbital mechanics the hardest and sophisticated aspect of orbital vehicle is keeping it in orbit; this is where most of the fuel is used when putting satellites in orbit and when spaceshuttle is preparing to rendezvous and dock with the international space stations.

it is very simple to shoot things to space but extremely difficult to keep them their and put them in an stable orbit.

That makes much more sense. See you need a computer at all times, in particularly some central processing unit or a brain to take electricity signals and translate that to perform actions on the various missile parts. For example you would need some sort of guider controlling it's stability in mid-air like left, right, steady horizontal, down, up, etc. Plus you would need mathatmatical precision on how far left how deep a turn same with all the other directions.

Fuel is obvious and like I said earlier what made sense to me was it needs to keep horizontal in mid-air for most of the flight not up, it would go up initially then would need to stabilize horizontally and glide like a plane either in sub orbit(100 kilometers from earth) or in the atmosphere within the earth. A computer system along side a camera on-board to capture the flight of the ICBM makes sense now, you monitor it's location as it's travelling. Plus I mentioned speed and velocity of the speed is important. For example when it hits the target, it needs to hit with alot of velocity, not just drop lightly or else there will be no reaction. A floating missile and velocity speed driven missile hitting a target isn't the same reaction.

We need to learn this stuff so we can develop Somalia air capacity, we are basically naked in the air right now and vulnerable to such attacks. There is no point developing Somalia if we don't secure our nations air, sea, and land because it can be destroyed from the outside and we wasted all our time and and effort on nothing.

Security comes first in Nation building, we must secure our security and we must stop fighting each other because we are all naked in Somalia and all our development can be ruined in a second if we don't unite and get our act together.

That's the DR Osman maxamud wisdom for you today.

BankaTuyo

حيران
Certainly wee need to develop our nations air defense and capabilities, but first wee need to implement peace, exterminate alkabaab, build an army with no tribalistic attachments, and have a serious reconciliation between brotherly people of Somali maxamed.

developing rockets is relatively easy nowadays with the advancement of technology and mass market produced hardware, but what is extremely difficult is becoming a Nuclear Threshold Nation let alone a full fledged nuclear nation. as we have seen in the case of S.Africa, Libya, and others.

Having the capability to strike anyplace on the planet with the power of the Atom, is the best deterrent any nation can hope for.

But recently the united states and other major powers have been steering away from ICBMs and investing and researching Hypersonic Delivery Vehicles which can reach an immense speed of Mach 5 (five times faster than the speed of sound ) as DARPA has declared and shown many times in the past decade.

by the way the future of warfare in the short term is advancing towards Cyber-warfare, and this is what gives me nightmares. can you imagine what a cyber-warfare keyboard ninja unit can do once they get access to a nuclear power plant. from shutting down the cooling system and cause a meltdown of the plant; devastating the area for thousands or maybe millions of years to come, to shutting-down the plant altogether hence crippling the dependent geographical areas on it; no traffic lights, no heating, no air-conditioning, no hospitals, ....etc.

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
Certainly wee need to develop our nations air defense and capabilities, but first wee need to implement peace, exterminate alkabaab, build an army with no tribalistic attachments, and have a serious reconciliation between brotherly people of Somali maxamed.

developing rockets is relatively easy nowadays with the advancement of technology and mass market produced hardware, but what is extremely difficult is becoming a Nuclear Threshold Nation let alone a full fledged nuclear nation. as we have seen in the case of S.Africa, Libya, and others.

Having the capability to strike anyplace on the planet with the power of the Atom, is the best deterrent any nation can hope for.

But recently the united states and other major powers have been steering away from ICBMs and investing and researching Hypersonic Delivery Vehicles which can reach an immense speed of Mach 5 (five times faster than the speed of sound ) as DARPA has declared and shown many times in the past decade.

by the way the future of warfare in the short term is advancing towards Cyber-warfare, and this is what gives me nightmares. can you imagine what a cyber-warfare keyboard ninja unit can do once they get access to a nuclear power plant. from shutting down the cooling system and cause a meltdown of the plant; devastating the area for thousands or maybe millions of years to come, to shutting-down the plant altogether hence crippling the dependent geographical areas on it; no traffic lights, no heating, no air-conditioning, no hospitals, ....etc.

Are those hyper sonic delivery vehicles reusable?

Would assume that those speeds would end up destroying them.

What advantages do they have over ICBMs?

An ICBM could be in space within 5 minutes and arrive over any target in the world within 20.

Whilst those hypersonic vehicles would take at least an hour and probably won't be able to outrun a cheaper super sonic missile.

Seems like a solution looking for a problem but then again I'm not too knowledgeable about weapons systems or the strategies behind them.

BankaTuyo

حيران
Are those hyper sonic delivery vehicles reusable?

Would assume that those speeds would end up destroying them.

What advantages do they have over ICBMs?

An ICBM could be in space within 5 minutes and arrive over any target in the world within 20.

Whilst those hypersonic vehicles would take at least an hour and probably won't be able to outrun a cheaper super sonic missile.

Seems like a solution looking for a problem but then again I'm not too knowledgeable about weapons systems or the strategies behind them.

I also haven't read that much in to the Hypersonic Delivery/Missile technologies but from what i understood in skimming the surface read is:

Yes, the plan is that these systems become re-usable. the major obstacle right now to these systems is as you mentioned perfecting the material so they can withstand the sheer forces involved in their deployment.

ICBMs travel much higher (they go up to space) than hypersonic missiles, although they travel at roughly the same speed. but they have little manoeuvrability, because they travel so high, which makes them quite predictable. they are bulky and could be detected, intercepted, systems already in place.

the beauty in the Hypersonic Delivery system is that it combines both the ICBM part and a cruise missile agility/maneuverability side into one system, making them quite as fast as an icbm and also nimble so they can be guided with pinpoint accuracy to a slightly changing target. HDS aslo has the advantage of not being easily detected as they detach from first stage icbm like stage and then take a shallow trajectory within the atmosphere to strike their targets.

icmbs can be detected much earlier due to their high altitude path in space and also the smoke they leave behind, as opposed to HDS which fly on lower altitude and use no fuel hence leaving no smoke. HDS just points downwards and then maneuver to strike the target with stealth like capability.

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
I also haven't read that much in to the Hypersonic Delivery/Missile technologies but from what i understood in skimming the surface read is:

Yes, the plan is that these systems become re-usable. the major obstacle right now to these systems is as you mentioned perfecting the material so they can withstand the sheer forces involved in their deployment.

ICBMs travel much higher (they go up to space) than hypersonic missiles, although they travel at roughly the same speed. but they have little manoeuvrability, because they travel so high, which makes them quite predictable. they are bulky and could be detected, intercepted, systems already in place.

the beauty in the Hypersonic Delivery system is that it combines both the ICBM part and a cruise missile agility/maneuverability side into one system, making them quite as fast as an icbm and also nimble so they can be guided with pinpoint accuracy to a slightly changing target. HDS aslo has the advantage of not being easily detected as they detach from first stage icbm like stage and then take a shallow trajectory within the atmosphere to strike their targets.

icmbs can be detected much earlier due to their high altitude path in space and also the smoke they leave behind, as opposed to HDS which fly on lower altitude and use no fuel hence leaving no smoke. HDS just points downwards and then maneuver to strike the target with stealth like capability.

Thanks for clearing that up.

For some reason I assumed it was even less manoeuvrable than ICBMs.

If it's a faster cruise missile than I could understand its place in warfare.

Btw

If Somalia were to invest in any future tech then I would pick Railguns.

Only thing that could defend against most the new hardware being developed.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
@RasCanjero @BankaTuyo

I was talking about offensive missiles only, what about defensive missiles systems. What's the strategy? is t to send the same type of missile up in the air and explode an offensive missile in mid-air? if so you would need a good radar system with coordinate precision of your whole air space, quick response systems and plans, get a missile up in the air following the coordinate(you would need sophisticated computery to guide the missile to the coordinate) and then apply a strike to the offensive missile to disable it in the air above your nation.

The other possible defence mechanism I can envision is sending a missile with a shield towards the offensive missile and following it where-ever the offensive missile is in the air and then attacking it and making sure it is destroyed in the air and the explosion and the pieces of the missiles all fall and captured within a sheild like system that deploys itself before attacking the missile to avoid debris falling over the city.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
@RasCanjero @BankaTuyo what sort of explosives are on missiles? they say warheads. Warheads are made of and consist of what sort of explosives and in what sort of measurements? it doesn't look like a big device the missile, so it must have some deadly explosive device inside that is small, see we need to understand science for this stuff.

Why is it a small device can cause such a large destruction? What's the physics behind it. For example you can take a small device such as TNT and strapped it to a building and it can bring it to his knees which is a large building niyahow and TNT isn't that large when put into comparison. Why is that? how does explosives work like that really needs to be understood not just say it's a warhead and that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending