Going it alone

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuldaanMethylamine

Scheming from Salaxley
http://www.economist.com/news/middl...nal-part-dysfunctional-country-going-it-alone

A functional part of a dysfunctional country
20151017_MAP013_0.jpg

SAHRA HALGAN, a musician, fled Hargeisa in northern Somalia in 1991. The city she left was a smoking ruin; most of the population was scattered. But in 2013, after 22 years living in France and working as a cleaner, she felt the urge to return. “I love France, but my country is called Somaliland,” she says. And so she set up a restaurant. At weekends, it fills up with Coca-Cola-sipping young men in smart shirts and women in bright silk head-dresses. Musicians strum the lute-like oud and sing folk songs, as plates of camel meat and spiced rice circulate and the audience hold up their iPhones to take selfies.

Stories such as Ms Halgan’s abound in Hargeisa, the capital of Somaliland, a breakaway region which declared independence from the rest of Somalia in 1991. Unlike Mogadishu, the capital of Somalia proper, Hargeisa is broadly safe, and undergoing a remarkable economic boom. On its dusty streets, goats compete for space with Land Cruisers; new businesses such as “the English Beauty Salon” and “the Scandinavian hotel” are everywhere. In cafés Somalis with accents from London, Minnesota and Amsterdam sip frappuccinos. The boom is an indicator of how successful other parts of Somalia could be if the fighting could be stopped. But it also comes with tensions that could undermine the fragile peace.

Almost every building in Hargeisa has been constructed in the past two decades. In the city centre a Russian-built MiG is mounted on a crudely painted plinth: a relic from the Somali civil war, which ran from the late 1980s until 1991, when the city was comprehensively destroyed by Siad Barre, Somalia’s last military dictator. The war convinced many that they wanted nothing to do with any government in Mogadishu. On the plinth is the date “26th June”, the day on which, in 1960, Somaliland gained its independence from Britain, five days before it formally joined Somalia, newly independent from Italy. Most Somalilanders think the union was a mistake.

Recovery began with refugees sending money home through the hawala system (see related article). It accelerated dramatically in 2009, when Saudi Arabia lifted a nine-year ban on imports of livestock from Somalia. Last year some 5m animals were exported, more than for 20 years. The animal trade generates money which can be spent on consumer goods: shops are full of Vietnamese clothes and Chinese electronics. That in turn creates opportunities for investment, and so diaspora Somalis who had previously mostly sent money home began to set up businesses. They have helped to build a world-class mobile-phone network, a fibre-optic broadband link to Djibouti and a mobile-money system which is one of the most widely used in Africa.

20151017_MAC165.png

Mahdi Abdi moved to Hargeisa in 2013 from the suburbs of Washington, DC; he had left Mogadishu in the 1970s as a teenager. In his American twang, he jokes about his mid-life crisis. “I had the house in the ’burbs, the dog, the business, everything.” But Hargeisa seemed more exciting. In his dental clinic he proudly shows off imported equipment with which he can build proper crowns and dentures—unknown until now in Somaliland.

Those who have lived abroad have plenty of advantages. Those with foreign passports can travel to business meetings. In a country where the local currency is traded in brick-sized bundles, they have greater access to foreign money (almost all large transactions are dollarised). Most of all they have education, which, 20 years after the civil war, is sorely lacking. More than a dozen universities have opened in Hargeisa over the past decade or so, hawking degrees to hopeful youngsters (the median age in Somalia is around 17). But few trust their quality.

But not all members of the diaspora are welcome. Newcomers are buying up land, pushing up property prices—which, in a country with a creaking legal system, can lead to bloody disputes. Their teenage children, whom Somalilanders often send home for the summer, are accused of flashing money around, flirting and generally making a nuisance of themselves. And tension simmers between two different diaspora groups: Westerners, and those from Saudi Arabia, Yemen and the other Gulf states. Like Mr Abdi and Ms Halgan, Westerners tend to get busy setting up businesses such as cafés, restaurants and clinics. Those back from the Gulf, by contrast, are more involved in the import and export trades, livestock and the construction industry—through which they can exert a worrying political influence.

“This society used to be half-African, half-Muslim, not too deeply religious,” says one well-connected Somalilander. “Now the Wahhabis are everywhere.” The country’s early democracy has faltered: an election in Somaliland planned for this year has been delayed, ostensibly because of problems organising it. Corruption is endemic, and the media is seldom critical. Dissent is increasingly dangerous, particularly on the fraught issue of national identity. On September 27th, four musicians were arrested on their return to Somaliland: they had apparently waved a Somalian flag at a gig in Mogadishu. They were released only after widespread protests.

Still, life remains much better than in Mogadishu, where car-bombs and shootings continue to punctuate the night. The question is what happens next. Independence, most think, is a pipe-dream: politicians in Mogadishu are unlikely to want to lose a substantial chunk of the country. African neighbours such as Ethiopia, whose troops guarantee security in much of the rest of Somalia, will not approve either; nor, for that matter, will the West. No country has yet recognised Somaliland’s self-declared independence. But for a million or so Somalis living abroad, Hargeisa offers a model for how they might return to their homeland and to try to rebuild. If only the rest of Somalia could catch up.

Optic fibre in Somaliland? I did some research and I found one company offering broadband
at slow speeds up to 1mb and charging extortionate prices of 30 dollars a month.

Somaliland will not receive any recognition from the outside world, sad but true. I just wonder what
the next logical step would be, do they accept it or stand their ground which can only mean another civil war? Finally whoever wrote this article does not jack about Modadishu.

"At weekends, it fills up with Coca-Cola-sipping young men in smart shirts and women in bright silk head-dresses"

This is how I always envisaged life in Somalia :mjsuitcry:

SuldaanMethylamine

Scheming from Salaxley
Optic fibre in Somaliland? I did some research and I found one company offering broadband
at slow speeds up to 1mb and charging extortionate prices of 30 dollars a month.

Somaliland will not receive any recognition from the outside world, sad but true. I just wonder what
the next logical step would be, do they accept it or stand their ground which can only mean another civil war? Finally whoever wrote this article does not jack about Modadishu.

"At weekends, it fills up with Coca-Cola-sipping young men in smart shirts and women in bright silk head-dresses"

This is how I always envisaged life in Somalia :mjsuitcry:
Are you talking about Somcable? I heard there's been a lot of issues with their speed recently, as they were advertising speeds of up to 100Mb/s, but customers were getting nowhere near that. I remember Telesom being absurdly slow when I was last there.

A misconception a lot of people have is that they believe non-recognition is the end of the world for Somaliland. For me I believe if it comes, great; if not, it's alright as well. Recognition is a double edged sword; on one hand it gives you access to global markets and other useful perks; on the other hand it makes you vulnerable to foreign interference, something Somalia is struggling with at the moment. I think Somaliland should look towards Taiwan as to how to run a nation without formal recognition

Are you talking about Somcable? I heard there's been a lot of issues with their speed recently, as they were advertising speeds of up to 100Mb/s, but customers were getting nowhere near that. I remember Telesom being absurdly slow when I was last there.

A misconception a lot of people have is that they believe non-recognition is the end of the world for Somaliland. For me I believe if it comes, great; if not, it's alright as well. Recognition is a double edged sword; on one hand it gives you access to global markets and other useful perks; on the other hand it makes you vulnerable to foreign interference, something Somalia is struggling with at the moment. I think Somaliland should look towards Taiwan as to how to run a nation without formal recognition

If only Somaliland was an island like Taiwan on the side, minding its own business but its huge chunk of Somalia, what happens when Somalia is fully functioning and stable again? You would think they would want to at least reunite Somalia peacefully as one, which might be the best case scenario. If Somaliland breaks away, what about other regions like Awdal and Puntland, everyone is going to want to run their own affairs. Life will not be so simple,when foreign countries assist a functioning Somalia with money and arms.

I personally admire what Somaliland has achieved.

Freebandz

MONEY TEAM
If only Somaliland was an island like Taiwan on the side, minding its own business but its huge chunk of Somalia, what happens when Somalia is fully functioning and stable again? You would think they would want to at least reunite Somalia peacefully as one, which might be the best case scenario. If Somaliland breaks away, what about other regions like Awdal and ssc, everyone is going to want to run their own affairs. Life will not be so simple,when foreign countries assist a functioning Somalia with money and arms.

The puntland folks actually work with these sl people:gunsmiley:

SuldaanMethylamine

Scheming from Salaxley
If only Somaliland was an island like Taiwan on the side, minding its own business but its huge chunk of Somalia, what happens when Somalia is fully functioning and stable again? You would think they would want to at least reunite Somalia peacefully as one, which might be the best case scenario. If Somaliland breaks away, what about other regions like Awdal and Puntland, everyone is going to want to run their own affairs. Life will not be so simple,when foreign countries assist a functioning Somalia with money and arms.

We'll see what happens in the future inshaAllah. Even with a peaceful Somalia, it will require a lot of convincing to get Somalilanders to relinquish their sovereignty and unite with Somalia as there are fears that history will repeat itself again.

I think its best that for now Somaliland and Somalia resolve their internal issues and build up their nations before coming to the table for negotiations.

The southner

Today Somalia is regional governments. Villa somalia cant call for a war against SL or anyone else for that matter, same way no regional can call for a war against Somalia government. This is a stalemate and no one can subjugate the other. I dont think its a coincidence. I think the more the villa somalia governent gets funding and arms the worse as it certainly wont be used against enemies such as ethiopia or Kenya. I think the best solution is let go of any region that wants to go since it's in no ones interest to have a somaliwayne and somalia itself funtions like countries within countries. I dont agree with it but hey........

We'll see what happens in the future inshaAllah. Even with a peaceful Somalia, it will require a lot of convincing to get Somalilanders to relinquish their sovereignty and unite with Somalia as there are fears that history will repeat itself again.

I think its best that for now Somaliland and Somalia resolve their internal issues and build up their nations before coming to the table for negotiations.

Bro can we not just have an agreement where weapons are distributed evenly and this could serve as an insurance and no one will have the stomach to fight someone as armed as them in their own lands?

Freebandz

MONEY TEAM
Bro can we not just have an agreement where weapons are distributed evenly and this could serve as an insurance and no one will have the stomach to fight someone as armed as them in their own lands?
umm nope you'll be asking for 90s civil war with new weapons:camby:the country government should be the only one with weapons everybody else should disarm:ehh:

B

bilan M

i think unite as one ciuntry would benefit your average person living in somali. However these greedy, overwieght, overpaid politicans r not satisfied with a small ministrial role within a large functioning government. they all just want to b running things...there really us no dufference between any of the somali gicernmenrs, they r all selling their ciunteries naturel resources at crazy price.they r all corrupt.

Last edited by a moderator:

SuldaanMethylamine

Scheming from Salaxley
It's not even about war, just equal distribution. Even when the Somali Republic had a "functioning democracy" there was a completely uneven distribution of power between North and South. How are we as Somalilanders guaranteed the same thing that happened in 1960 won't happen again?

B

bilan M

"Function democracy" ..Seriously ppl, there is no such thing as a "functionibg democracy" in africa. I say we should go back to how we lived 200yrs. I think we should ban all ngo's, and all foreign investment.

HalyeeyQaran

Citizen of Southwest State
"Function democracy" ..Seriously ppl, there is no such thing as a "functionibg democracy" in africa. I say we should go back to how we lived 200yrs. I think we should ban all ngo's, and all foreign investment.
Kenya is an example of a fully functioning democracy where not only the president is elected by the people but also each respective MP is elected by their constituents. There are also several other countries in Africa that can be considered functioning democracies. Just because Somalia is a failed state that never enjoyed a democratic form of government doesn't mean other African nations are as well.

Also, banning NGOs and foreign aid all together is not feasible at all. I say foreign aid because there is no foreign investment taking place in Somalia, countries are not investing in Somalia, they are only giving aid to Somalia. Aid and investment aren't synonymous. Hypothetically speaking, if Somalia was to not receive any aid, it would experience a famine worse than all previous famines combined.

Freebandz

MONEY TEAM
Kenya is an example of a fully functioning democracy where not only the president is elected by the people but also each respective MP is elected by their constituents. There are also several other countries in Africa that can be considered functioning democracies. Just because Somalia is a failed state that never enjoyed a democratic form of government doesn't mean other African nations are as well.

Also, banning NGOs and foreign aid all together is not feasible at all. I say foreign aid because there is no foreign investment taking place in Somalia, countries are not investing in Somalia, they are only giving aid to Somalia. Aid and investment aren't synonymous. Hypothetically speaking, if Somalia was to not receive any aid, it would experience a famine worse than all previous famines combined.
https://books.google.com/books?id=x...0Z7A42#v=onepage&q=kenya undemocratic&f=false
Just stfu:heh:

LooL so you believe power should equally be shared between Somalia and Somaliland (like 50/50 deal cml) before you guys renounce ur threats of independence?

Meth, as an intelligent guy, u should know ur people are 20 - 25% of the population.

If you are demanding more than your share, than good luck with your Ictiraaf.

Somalis have bent over backwards to please Isaaqs. Ur people have been part of all Somali government since the fall of Afweyne and given prominent positions.

Just like African Americans, u keep asking for more and more and more and more, and bringing up some shit that happened a long time ago that most of us had nothing to do with.

J

Jeffo

i think unite as one ciuntry would benefit your average person living in somali. However these greedy, overwieght, overpaid politicans r not satisfied with a small ministrial role within a large functioning government. they all just want to b running things...there really us no dufference between any of the somali gicernmenrs, they r all selling their ciunteries naturel resources at crazy price.they r all corrupt.

Status
Not open for further replies.