GMOs Coming to Somalia

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member

UK leader Rishi Sunak urges world to use AI and science to end malnutrition​

20231120071140-655b53f7007c2ecec0157e73jpeg.jpg

Somali President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud attends the Global Food Security Summit in London, Monday, Nov. 20, 2023. The summit, hosted by the UK in partnership with the UAE, Somalia, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and the Children's Investment Fund, aims to galvanise action to tackle hunger and malnutrition. (Dan Kitwood/PA via AP)
By Jill Lawless, The Associated Press
Posted Nov 20, 2023 11:23:10 AM.

Last Updated Nov 20, 2023 11:31:13 AM.
LONDON (AP) — British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak said Monday that the U.K. is setting up a new science initiative to help develop flood-tolerant rice, disease-resistant wheat and other crops that are more resilient to climate change.
Sunak was joined by ministers, diplomats and philanthropists from about 20 countries at a one-day Global Food Security Summit in London, where he urged world leaders to harness artificial intelligence and other cutting-edge technology to end malnutrition around the globe.
Sunak told delegates that a “fundamental shift” is needed to confront a food-security crisis that is being worsened by climate change. He focused on the role of science and said the U.K. would set up a “virtual science hub” linking international researchers working on more resilient crops. The U.K. hub will be part of a global research partnership known as CGIAR.
“Climate change, conflict and population rise mean ever greater challenges to food supplies,” Sunak said. “So we need a fundamental shift in the way we approach food security, with a focus on long-term solutions to stop food crises before they start. And we need to harness the full power of science and technology to ensure supplies are resilient to threats like conflict, drought and floods.”
The event was co-hosted by Somalia and the United Arab Emirates alongside the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
The summit coincided with publication of a “re-energized” U.K. development strategy aimed at ending extreme poverty and tackling climate change and biodiversity loss.
The document sets out the U.K.’s aid plans through 2030, and confirms Britain will not restore development aid to 0.7% of gross national income — after it was cut to 0.5% during the coronavirus pandemic — until “the fiscal situation allows.” Instead, the U.K. says it will spend smarter, earmarking money to help countries strengthen their defenses against natural disasters, raising more private-sector money for development and building “mutually respectful” relationships with developing nations.
“Today’s answer cannot be about rich countries ‘doing development’ to others,” Foreign Secretary David Cameron wrote in an introduction. “We need to work together as partners, shaping narratives which developing countries own and deliver.”
The Lancaster House conference venue was picketed by activists from Medical Aid for Palestinians calling for a cease-fire in the Israel-Hamas war to get urgently needed food and humanitarian aid into Gaza.
“It is good that they are talking about addressing food and security in the world. But if they’re going to do that seriously, they cannot ignore the situation in Gaza, where 2.2 million people are at risk of starvation,” said the group’s chief executive, Melanie Ward.
“Because of the siege that’s been imposed on Gaza, the amount of aid that’s gotten in the last month is only enough for about two normal days in Gaza. So less than 10% of the food needed to keep people in Gaza alive is actually getting in.”
Like the United States, the U.K. has not called for a cease-fire, but Sunak urged Israel to agree to “urgent and substantive humanitarian pauses” to get in food, fuel and medicine.
“The situation on the ground is truly tragic and getting worse,” he said.

Jill Lawless, The Associated Press
Keep in mind:
It is speculated that genetically modified food (GMF)/genetically modified organism (GMO) is responsible for infertility development.
What are the long-term health implications of consuming GMOs, particularly on fertility? I don't know about you, but this initiative seems philanthropic on the surface (attempting to reduce hunger in the global south, particularly in Somalia). Still, it doesn't sit well with me. Especially considering the type of partner (Gates) and his track record.

Skip to 12:39 when HSM speaks.

Internet Nomad

𝑮𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒈𝒓𝒆𝒆𝒏𝒆𝒓 𝒑𝒂𝒔𝒕𝒖𝒓𝒆𝒔
VIP
Very scary indeed GMO haven’t had a long time study to know know the longer term effects of it. He is essentially making his population guinea pigs for cheap aid.

There is more than enough arable land to feed all of Somalia if they wanted to.

There is a reason why russia banned GMO’s

Prepare to see some funky looking somalis in the future.

Why tf are we going to eat Modified food that some cadaan scientist made on his day off. We need to create a farming and agricultrual industry that isnt rife with corruption and nepotism

Hilmaam

Standin on bihness
VIP
Organic food is big business but probably only possible in certain areas of south .

north harsh climates and soils probably need gmo seed and fertilizer to thrive on large scale

Keep in mind:

What are the long-term health implications of consuming GMOs, particularly on fertility? I don't know about you, but this initiative seems philanthropic on the surface (attempting to reduce hunger in the global south, particularly in Somalia). Still, it doesn't sit well with me. Especially considering the type of partner (Gates) and his track record.

Skip to 12:39 when HSM speaks.
From the same paper:
Despite a lack of human studies, a link between infertility and genetically modified foods (GMF) has been postulated
Results from studies published in the decade since this was written indicate that GM products have no harmful impact on all infertility and fertility indices, nor on children.
GM products had no adverse effects on infertility indices such as the sperm head, sperm motility, sperm abnormality, and fertility indices

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
Very scary indeed GMO haven’t had a long time study to know know the longer term effects of it. He is essentially making his population guinea pigs for cheap aid.

There is more than enough arable land to feed all of Somalia if they wanted to.

There is a reason why russia banned GMO’s
You get it! The skeptic in me feels like it is a covert way of reducing Somalia's fertility rate. I can only count on the natural Somali inclination toward suspicion of others. And their fear of population collapse/langaabnimo as a deterrent. Deep down, I know that GMO enthusiasts will exclaim that it poses no health effects like @Melancholic. I see you.
Prepare to see some funky looking somalis in the future.
Mad Cry GIF by The Bachelor

You get it! The skeptic in me feels like it is a covert way of reducing Somalia's fertility rate. I can only count on the natural Somali inclination toward suspicion of others. And their fear of population collapse/langaabnimo as a deterrent. Deep down, I know that GMO enthusiasts will exclaim that it poses no health effects like @Melancholic. I see you.

Who’s this woman

Having said what I did, given the complexity of biological systems, there is still some intrinsic irreducible uncertainty involved with GMOs, so I wouldn't want to consume them while they're under the alpha testing phase.

Also, not to add to your scepticism, but this thread reminded me of the Thalidomide scandal.
:icon lol:

He and his people should be made to eat that first and foremost. It’s the most vulnerable amongst the people of Somalia who will suffer from this decision.

Those countries never do anything due to altruism. He is an enemy to the Somali people.

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
Organic food is big business but probably only possible in certain areas of south .

north harsh climates and soils probably need gmo seed and fertilizer to thrive on large scale
Why tf are we going to eat Modified food that some cadaan scientist made on his day off. We need to create a farming and agricultrual industry that isnt rife with corruption and nepotism
Well, brothers, when deciding between something created using CRISPR and an organic alternative. What sounds more delicious?
Who’s this woman
A shocked woman GIF. No clue. Why do you ask?
From the same paper:

Results from studies published in the decade since this was written indicate that GM products have no harmful impact on all infertility and fertility indices, nor on children.

The caveat in the end:
Long-term research still seems to be strongly necessary.
Especially considering it takes time to make note of reproductive effects. Of the nearly 1500 studies, why were only seven articles included in the systematic review? They also made no note of limitations. I found a table of the articles, and why was the longest duration 13 weeks? That's roughly four months. Not long enough for me, sorry.

1700520366104.png

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
He and his people should be made to eat that first and foremost. It’s the most vulnerable amongst the people of Somalia who will suffer from this decision.

Those countries never do anything due to altruism. He is an enemy to the Somali people.
I completely agree with you. The silver lining in this is he has made it abundantly clear that he has a Somalia-for-sale mentality, and many appear to disagree with him. I don't get how he can propose the idea of regenerative farming, which is often organic together with GMO crops. He's speaking out of both sides of his mouth.
Having said what I did, given the complexity of biological systems, there is still some intrinsic irreducible uncertainty involved with GMOs, so I wouldn't want to consume them while they're under the alpha testing phase.

Also, not to add to your scepticism, but this thread reminded me of the Thalidomide scandal.
:icon lol:
Well, you seem more like a farmer's market type who would frequent a halaal and organic shop over a eat Zee bugs, with a side of lab-grown hilib and a helping of drought-resistant bariis.

I can guarantee you GMOs are orders of magnitude safer for consumption than what's grown in Somalia
BS. Ive been in gmo free countries u get no shuban or alergic reaction and u feel full and satisfied no stomach ace, no headache no nothing. Suddenly you in the west eating gmo and u eat same identical food, and u get bloat/weight gain, upset stomach and more food cravings. Ask anyone with who travelled alot they will agree

BS. Ive been in gmo free countries u get no shuban or alergic reaction and u feel full and satisfied no stomach ace, no headache no nothing. Suddenly you in the west eating gmo and u eat same identical food, and u get bloat/weight gain, upset stomach and more food cravings. Ask anyone with who travelled alot they will agree
Ever wondered why the fruis and veggies taste like plastic in these western countries? Holland, us, canada, scandinavia etc. Once you go to relatively gaajo countries you get tasty fruit and veggies, good meat and clean food that actually makes you feel like a human being. The soil is fertile and they grow food for human consumption. The shit we got in the west is commercialzed/big business owned by elites who give a F about us. Get your veggies and meat thru a local farm, thats what imma start doing. Its expensive tho

Ever wondered why the fruis and veggies taste like plastic in these western countries? Holland, us, canada, scandinavia etc. Once you go to relatively gaajo countries you get tasty fruit and veggies, good meat and clean food that actually makes you feel like a human being. The soil is fertile and they grow food for human consumption. The shit we got in the west is commercialzed/big business owned by elites who give a F about us. Get your veggies and meat thru a local farm, thats what imma start doing. Its expensive tho
Interestingly, the country I live in was historically very against GMOs, going so far as to reject the proposal when the EU accepted the introduction of commercialization of biotechnological applications as a form of food-source enhancement.

Trending

Latest posts