GCSE book pulled after stereotyping Caribbean dads as 'largely absent'

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this was on the news today guys. Amusing but kinda annoyed at the social media uproar.

A publisher has said it will stop selling a GCSE textbook after it was found to contain stereotypes about Caribbean families.

AQA GCSE (9-1) Sociology says Caribbean men are "largely absent" from family situations.

The comments have been called "really dangerous" as there's no social or historical context.

Hodder Education says it's taking concerns "extremely seriously" and will stop supplying the book for sale.

The paragraph in the sociology of families section of the book reads: "In Caribbean families, the fathers and husbands are largely absent and women assume the most responsibility in childrearing.

"When men and women live together, it is usually in cohabiting or common law relationships that reproduce the traditional patriarchal division of labour."

What do you think about this? Is it political correctness at it’s finest?

(https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/newsbeat-45784222)

Somali fathers are not absent...they just do too little. These ******s leave kids for good and dont even know the birth date of their kids.

True. Parental engagement is an issue in the Somali community, but at least the fathers acknowledge that they have children :siilaanyosmile:

They’re all butthurt. Why sugar coat an issue that is affecting the Caribbean community so badly? Isn’t it easier to accept the facts and use them to solve the problem?
To fix a problem you have to highlight it, then accept there is a problem and only then can you work towards the fixing of the problem. But these white liberals care more about peoples feelings

Fels

#trollhunter
I heard it being thrown around here and there but it sounded so nasty and ghetto that I didn’t dare type it into Google, lest the Queen’s police find me. :browtf:
Peng means good looking i think plus if you were looking at my little quote at the top of my profile i stole it from a song
Best song ever zie zie fine girl:banderas:

Last edited:
Peng means good looking i think plus if you were looking at my little quote at the top of my profile i stole it froma song
Best song ever zie zie fine girl:banderas:

What are you saying?
A1B7B256-75EE-4FB3-A487-B258CC0C79E4.gif

Somali fathers are not absent...they just do too little. These ******s leave kids for good and dont even know the birth date of their kids.

Still, if we go by “facts” Somalis have a high divorce rate in the West. Be careful what you wish for because we may have Somalis lack of shaqo being quoted in sociology books.

I think this is bullshit. Are these academics also going to spit facts about “white working class” families? Alcoholism, drug abuse, school failure, benefits, etc? The blacks who came from the Caribbean during the wind rush were family orientatated, educated church-goers. Second generation has adopted low class British culture and faced discrimination is the education system and police etc.This is the real sociology and the dynamics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts