Gangistarnimo is not our culture!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SumMo

very lowkey
Hip hop is the most common genre of music in America among all youths not just Somalis. So is it really surprising that Somali teenagers (who probably are not that into Somali culture to begin with) will prefer it?
I don’t care what they prefer. I for one, as a somali youth, don’t like that kind of music. But whatever, that’s just my preference..

I think it’s odd that they play these songs during cultural events tho. Like what does gangistarnimo have to do with our culture?

I have been to several cultural events, hosted by other cultyres. One for the turkish community, another one was for the desi/indian community and one for the kurdish. Not once did they play music that wasn’t their own! Nor did they dance in a fashion that wasn’t inspired by their culture..

That’s not to say they don’t enjoy/like other musics. But they have enough respect and love for their dhaqan to keep it 100% cultural during these types of events. Young somalis don’t..

World

VIP
I don’t care what they prefer, I for one, as a somali youth, don’t like that kind of music. But whatever..

I think it’s odd that they play it during cultural events! Like what does gangistarnimo have to do with our cultural?

I have been to several cultural events. One for the turkish community, the desi/indian community and one for the kurdish. Not once did they play music that wasn’t their own, nor did they dance in a fashion that wasn’t inspired by their culture.

That’s not to say they don’t enjoy/like other musics. But they have enough respect and love for their dhaqan to keep it 100% cultural during these types of events.
Well this isn't a cultural event where you showcase your culture to foreigners. It's a "somali" night or get together, where somalis just come in their ethnic clothes to have some fun and socialize.

SumMo

very lowkey
Is it a Somali culture event or it a Somali-diaspora culture event? I believe the diaspora has its own culture and can use any music it likes
What is our culture then? Gangistarnimo? Might as well start claiming ourselves as madows while we’re at..
:browtf:

I agree that growing up in the west did shape us. We are different from our parents and their generation. However, I still don’t think that means we have ‘a different culture’. The culture is still the same, but with certain elements being different.

I don’t think being born and raised in the west is an excuse to throw our entire dhaqan out of the window, just because we like someone elses culture more (in this case the madows).

Other immigrant groups who grew up in the west, are still able to keep major parts of their cultures. Why can’t we?

Last edited:

Apollo

VIP
Somalis have no culture.

Their entire culture exists of cultural appropriation. Everything stolen from Arabs, Swahilis, Ethiopians, Indians, Italians etc.

SumMo

very lowkey
Well this isn't a cultural event where you showcase your culture to foreigners. It's a "somali" night or get together, where somalis just come in their ethnic clothes to have some fun and socialize.
I disagree.

Nothing fun about dancing and acting like Shaniquas and Tyrones while wearing your cultural outfits and claiming to be broadcasting our culture & celebrating our ancestral heritage.

It’s insulting, it’s embarrassing, it’s shameful.

World

VIP
I disagree.

Nothing fun about dancing and acting like Shaniquas and Tyrones while wearing your cultural outfits, in the middle of a stage. It’s embarrassing and beneath us.
Acting like Tyrones and Shaniquas is part of youth culture now. Everybody does it. If you dont like the west then your free to leave, as somalis like all other langaab minorities will be assimiliated.

Even here in Australia the Anglo-Celtic whites hold dearly to their own culture, even after all these centuries. You don’t see them blasting foreign music in their events, but somehow, we make an exception to the Somalis, huh? :bell:

World

VIP
Even here in Australia the Anglo-Celtic whites hold dearly to their own to their culture, even after all these centuries. You don’t see them blasting foreign music in their events, but somehow, we make an exception to the Somalis, huh? :bell:
White people don't have a culture.

SumMo

very lowkey
Acting like Tyrones and Shaniquas is part of youth culture now. Everybody does it. If you dont like the west then your free to leave, as somalis like all other langaab minorities will be assimiliated.
I don’t do it. Neither do my ajinabi friends who love and appreciate their cultures.

If you hate being somali so much, just change your name to Tyrone and join the «We wuz kangz» club. No one is forcing you to be somali. Goodbye!
:hillarybiz:

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
@SumMo What's wrong with listening to Hip-hop? Just because I listen to that shit doesn't necessarily make me a gang banger.

Remember, the real gangsters are very small.

@SumMo What's wrong with listening to Hip-hop? Just because I listen to that shit doesn't necessarily make me a gang banger.

Remember, the real gangsters are very small.

The issue is not listening to hip-hop. I for one appreciate Jazz, the issue is appropriating foreign elements of these cultures into our own.

World

VIP
White people have A LOT of culture. Almost everything we do is white culture. Their culture is everywhere around us to the point that we don't see it (like fish not noticing water).
Fish and chips? Pub on a Friday night?

Western culture is shared across the world and cannot be called white anymore(things like wearing a suit and tie).

SumMo

very lowkey

Remember, real gangsters are very small.
Nothing wrong with madow music per se. Not my cup of tea. I feel like all that «gang gang» talk will lower my iq..

But to play that shit during a cultural event that is supposed to celebrate our ancestors, our heritage and our culture? Yeah, I have a problem with that.
:bell:

Apollo

VIP
Fish and chips? Pub on a Friday night?

Western culture is shared across the world and cannot be called white anymore.

Go read some philosophy books. The West is based completely on European culture.

The food people eat is not culture.. their philosophy, societal system, and outlook on life is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending