From the ashes of genocide, Islam rises in Rwanda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great article worth a read.

A handful of Muslims took a stand during the hundred days of slaughter. Their stance inspired thousands of Rwandans to become Muslim in what was once called Africa’s most Catholic country.

“I was a Catholic pastor before genocide,” Matabaro Sulaiman told TRT World on a chilly Thursday night in Kigali, dressed in a flashy purple jilbab - a long loose-fit dress worn by Muslim men.

When the genocide in Rwanda began in 1994, the 49-year-old, suffered a crisis of faith watching the churches, in which he preached peace and unity became slaughterhouses.

“Christians were killing people in the church,” Sulaiman said.

“The [victims] went to churches thinking they will find peace but instead, they were killed.

“Meanwhile, I saw Muslims take people inside the mosque.”

Since the advent of European colonialism in the country in 1884, Roman Catholicism has been the dominant religion in Rwanda.

But in the last 25 years, Islam has become an alternative for thousands of Rwandans who lost their faith in Christianity during the genocide.

Muslims made up one percent of the population before the genocide. Although no census has been conducted, today “12 percent to 15 percent of the total population is Muslim”, according to Salim Habimana, a former Mufti of the country.

read more here: https://www.trtworld.com/africa/from-the-ashes-of-genocide-islam-rises-in-rwanda-25565

Molotoff

Supreme Bosniak Geeljire
VIP
Yes, I read this too. Catholic church did nothing to stop the genocide.

Good to see people coming to Islam.

A_A

Islamic Fanfiction Writer
Ok hold up. The beginning...
“I was a Catholic pastor before genocide,” Matabaro Sulaiman told TRT World on a chilly Thursday night in Kigali, dressed in a flashy purple jilbab - a long loose-fit dress worn by Muslim men.”
What?

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
8267.jpg

Dalmoor

Hiatus✅ 1/18/21- ?
VIP
“I was a Catholic pastor before genocide,” Matabaro Sulaiman told TRT World on a chilly Thursday night in Kigali, dressed in a flashy purple jilbab - a long loose-fit dress worn by Muslim men.”
What?
Probably meant to say khamiis/thawb/thobe!

Timo Jareer and proud

2nd Emir of the Akh Right Movement
Great article worth a read.

A handful of Muslims took a stand during the hundred days of slaughter. Their stance inspired thousands of Rwandans to become Muslim in what was once called Africa’s most Catholic country.

“I was a Catholic pastor before genocide,” Matabaro Sulaiman told TRT World on a chilly Thursday night in Kigali, dressed in a flashy purple jilbab - a long loose-fit dress worn by Muslim men.

When the genocide in Rwanda began in 1994, the 49-year-old, suffered a crisis of faith watching the churches, in which he preached peace and unity became slaughterhouses.

“Christians were killing people in the church,” Sulaiman said.

“The [victims] went to churches thinking they will find peace but instead, they were killed.

“Meanwhile, I saw Muslims take people inside the mosque.”

Since the advent of European colonialism in the country in 1884, Roman Catholicism has been the dominant religion in Rwanda.

But in the last 25 years, Islam has become an alternative for thousands of Rwandans who lost their faith in Christianity during the genocide.

Muslims made up one percent of the population before the genocide. Although no census has been conducted, today “12 percent to 15 percent of the total population is Muslim”, according to Salim Habimana, a former Mufti of the country.

read more here: https://www.trtworld.com/africa/from-the-ashes-of-genocide-islam-rises-in-rwanda-25565
huh.PNG

nani.PNG

:whoo:....:what1:

Jiron

wanaag
NABADOON
VIP
Mashallah, staying true to the teaching of Islam is the best example you can offer, May allah reward those Muslims for protecting the lives of innocent people :)

the same, Lumumba ran into a catholic church to hide from police chasing him and the priest called the police to come get him.....how he was killed.

kaluumayste

Take the Poo to the loo
What?
53091_ScreenShot20190405at10_1554453607793.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts