Foreigners in Hargeisa

Caaro

I do something called "what I want"
2021 GRANDMASTER
VIP
I was so surprised at how many foreigners are here, there are indians, pakistani, arabs, and even chinese LOL.

I went to this restaurant that had nice food, all I see behind me are two indhoyar eating and chatting with each other lmfao.

It seems that most of them open up restaurants when they get here because I see a bunch of restaurants selling non-somali food. At first I thought it was just Somalis opening them but you can see that it’s foreigners running it.

I saw a pakistani restaurant, ethiopian one, arab one, and south asian. I’m also convinced that there are many oromos here now.

When I first got out of eygal airport I saw a bunch of oromo looking dudes, I just put it past them and thought maybe they just looked like that. Now after seeing how common foreigners are, I’m 99% sure all of those oromo looking folk were actually oromos. And there’s quite a lot of them.

I’d say 90% of people in Hargeisa are Somali, 5% oromo and 5% others.

Yukon_Niner

Ugaas of the supreme gentleman
VIP
Yeah you'll notice that all over Somalia. I have zero idea why people here expect it to be all Somali's.

Caaro

2021 GRANDMASTER
VIP
Yeah you'll notice that all over Somalia. I have zero idea why people here expect it to be all Somali's.
let’s face it, who in their right minds would think of leaving their countries to permanently live in Somalia :drakekidding:

Yaa usheega to stay in their sh*thole, we already have enough problems here. :icon lol:

angelplan

Staff Member
2020 CHESS CHAMP
BORAMA, AWDAL
Hargeisa is the second capital of Somalia and Capital of independent country Somaliland. So yes there is a lot of activities and lot of people of different background. I think it is the centre of business in the whole of the north. It is also good and beneficial that Hargeisa is located strategically close to AWDAL.

As long as they are not trying to dominate the local economy I don't care.

@Baboon told me that they have to partner with a Somali and the foreigner is not allowed to own more than 49% of the company. Don't know if this is 100% true.

There are a lot of foreigners here especially Kenyans, Syrians, Yemenis and some Indians.
The Kenyans are professionals who work mainly in the education sector, the Syrians are mainly beggars or work in the restaurants and some are doctors or dentist.
The Indians work in the construction sector or in Berbera with DP world building the new port.
The Yemenis are the ones who are most settled in the country, as Yemen and Yemenis have always had historical links with Somaliand. They have opened businesses in construction, restaurants and all kinds of shops, however the law of Somaliland states that any foreigner opening any business in the country has to have a Somali partner and the foreigner is not allowed to own more than 49% of the company.
This is to stop the foreigners from dominating the economy and marginalising the locals as you are probably familiar with that Somali’s in general are very territorial and I personally think that is good thing.

Caaro

2021 GRANDMASTER
VIP
As long as they are not trying to dominate the local economy I don't care.

@Baboon told me that they have to partner with a Somali and the foreigner is not allowed to own more than 49% of the company. Don't know if this is 100% true.

the kenyans running education part is true. Many of the teachers here are kenyan.

Hargeisa is the second capital of Somalia and Capital of independent country Somaliland. So yes there is a lot of activities and lot of people of different background. I think it is the centre of business in the whole of the north. It is also good and beneficial that Hargeisa is located strategically close to AWDAL.
I’m not against foreigners myself, as long as they can provide skilled work then there shouldn’t be a problem. It’s not like there are many Somalis who can do it at the moment.

At the same time they can also pass on their skills to other Somalis while they’re here.

idk why everyone’s so afraid of us being marginalized. Foreigners aren’t moving to Somalia in droves. Except oromos since their cities are just as bad as ours to they might.

the kenyans running education part is true. Many of the teachers here are kenyan.

I’m not against foreigners myself, as long as they can provide skilled work then there shouldn’t be a problem. It’s not like there are many Somalis who can do it at the moment.

At the same time they can also pass on their skills to other Somalis while they’re here.

idk why everyone’s so afraid of us being marginalized. Foreigners aren’t moving to Somalia in droves. Except oromos since their cities are just as bad as ours to they might.

China has rules that protect its local companies. Could you imagine if they let Amazon into their economy. There would be no Ali Baba. You need to protect some of your countries industries for the locals to benefit. You don't wanna have a free for all especially when your local population is not as educated and ready to compete against foreigners.

Somali economy should be dominated by Somali-owned companies. Just like the Chinese economy is dominated by Chinese-owned companies.

angelplan

Staff Member
2020 CHESS CHAMP
BORAMA, AWDAL
On another note, Hot Ballah good to see you in HOMELAND bro. You see this is home bro. Enjoy your stay and you are very much welcome from Loyacade to Tukaraq

:mjlaugh: :salute:

Caaro

2021 GRANDMASTER
VIP
On another note, Hot Ballah good to see you in HOMELAND bro. You see this is home bro. Enjoy your stay and you are very much welcome from Loyacade to Tukaraq

:mjlaugh: :salute:
I’ll be playing the “best chess player in hargeisa” soon and I’ll let you know how it goes. I’ll probably get whooped lol.

I’m currently tied for first place at the cafe against this other guy rated 2000 on lichess. Our score is 2.5-2.5. But the best guy still didn’t show up yet and according to them he whoops that guy too.

So it’s safe to say I’m top 3 best chess player in hargeisa and possibly top 5 in SL. Hopefully top 100 in Somalia. I know there are tons of chess masters, even titled, in xamar.

angelplan

Staff Member
2020 CHESS CHAMP
BORAMA, AWDAL
I’ll be playing the “best chess player in hargeisa” soon and I’ll let you know how it goes. I’ll probably get whooped lol.

I’m currently tied for first place at the cafe against this other guy rated 2000 on lichess. Our score is 2.5-2.5. But the best guy still didn’t show up yet and according to them he whoops that guy too.

So it’s safe to say I’m top 3 best chess player in hargeisa and possibly top 5 in SL. Hopefully top 100 in Somalia. I know there are tons of chess masters, even titled, in xamar.
I think you will make Somaliland proud in the chess field bro. You chould go to Borama as well and wipe their ass too.

:mjlaugh:

Trending