First wave Somali immigrants

If you’re parents came to the west in the late 80’s like mine or early 90’s around 91/92, how do you feel now about somali identity? I’ve never been to Somalia or Africa. I was born in 96 and being now inching towards 30, I feel further from somali identity.

If you’re parents came to the west in the late 80’s like mine or early 90’s around 91/92, how do you feel now about somali identity? I’ve never been to Somalia or Africa. I was born in 96 and being now inching towards 30, I feel further from somali identity.
Well take a trip back then.
My parents came in the mid to late 90s. I feel very much somali although I have never been and inshallah I intend to go this summer. Are you not surrounded by somalis were you live or engage with other somalis irl?

The only people who say stuff like this tend to not be around somalis or have actively distanced themselves from somalinimo because there ashamed of there identity or want to fit in which requires replacing there identity and adopting the ones around them.

It also depends on how your parents raised you maybe that's why who knows

Last edited:
My father came to europe in the late 70s and my moms in late 80s grew up in sweden in my neighborhood me and my family was the only somalis amongst a sea of ajanabis and only been to somaliyee one time but i still feel conected depends on your family structure if gonna find a belonging to a culture far away

Do you look like a Somali then? Cause Somali is both about looks and culture. Somalis are defined by their looks and culture. If you have the looks, then you will always remain in the eyes of others, a somali woman. You might as well act like one and be comfortable with your ethnic identity.

TekNiKo

“I am an empathic and emotionally-aware person.
VIP
Thank God my parents took me to Somalia as a late teenager

I wouldve become an anti social awkward hooyo ma taalo without them Somalia broke my shell and made me an extrovert :rejoice:

El Nino

Cabsi cabsi
VIP
My father came in early 90s, my mom shortly after with her brothers. Never been back home but Im still connected with my family there. Grew up with cadaans as no somalis lived where I lived, only them and ajanabis. Gravitated to maryooleys when Igot older, now my circle is mostly them and couple ajanabis.

25 soon but my connection has only gotten stronger surprisingly these last few tears. In a sense, I long for my people and country.

My father came in early 90s, my mom shortly after with her brothers. Never been back home but Im still connected with my family there. Grew up with cadaans as no somalis lived where I lived, only them and ajanabis. Gravitated to maryooleys when Igot older, now my circle is mostly them and couple ajanabis.

25 soon but my connection has only gotten stronger surprisingly these last few tears. In a sense, I long for my people and country.

I've always wondered how Somalis who haven't been back home feel about their identity. Because without going back there a couple of times, I'd have a weak connection with my Somalinimo. Things like experiencing my parents childhood, culture, and everything to do with our identity.

In contrast to my relatives here, who haven't been back home; they barely identify as Somali and reek of identity crisis, despite same upbringings as me. I now feel very appreciative of my parents efforts, to connect me with our roots.

El Nino

Cabsi cabsi
VIP
Do you look like a Somali then? Cause Somali is both about looks and culture. Somalis are defined by their looks and culture. If you have the looks, then you will always remain in the eyes of others, a somali woman. You might as well act like one and be comfortable with your ethnic identity.

Op is talking about feeling less somali, its more deeper then looks, you are not getting it.
Well take a trip back then.
My parents came in the mid to late 90s. I feel very much somali although I have never been and inshallah I intend to go this summer. Are you not surrounded by somalis were you live or engage with other somalis irl?

The only people who say stuff like this tend to not be around somalis or have actively distanced themselves from somalinimo because there ashamed of there identity or want to fit in which requires replacing there identity and adopting the ones around them.

It also depends on how your parents raised you maybe that's why who knows

Its more deeper then that niyow, its completely natural to feel disconnected from somali identity simply by not being born and raised there, also never living there. How can you feel somali when not living in Somalia/somaliweyn and being surrounded by others?

This problem will get bigger in the coming years. I advice somalis to set up our own little enclaves (we already have them but they must be better) etc with our own schools. Also regular trips back home to feel connected. Environment is a powerful factor on identity.

Trending