Fathers 23andMe Results

We had my father take 23andMe awhile ago but never shared. Thought I’d post now. His mother is Oromo Arsi from Bale Ginder and his father Somali from Bari, but raised in Bale.

They have been in the Bale Ethiopia area for generations but still maintain their harti connection. I feel they are mainly harti autosomal wise and married into Somalis. But since tribal affiliation is an Integral part of somali society it’s important to know your roots in that aspect too.

The weirdest part of our DNA journey was my aders and uncles who were with him in Bale who tested mainly have the EV32 paternal hablogroup more so E-18629. My father has a J1 hablogroup.

He has Somali, Oromo, and one or two Harari matches which makes sense considering where they lived and the unity amoungst the groups especially during the religious wars and fights against colonization etc.

We did a big y for my brother awhile back and his matches were mainly Arabs from Saudi, Yemen, Oman etc. Now we are digging deeper into the J1 Somalis and their true story of how and when they came to the horn.

Attachments

• 428294E6-3D8A-4C11-8442-52F01D782DA0.jpeg
    428294E6-3D8A-4C11-8442-52F01D782DA0.jpeg
    481.2 KB · Views: 330
  • 68243943-A519-4B96-B504-21A9AF958050.jpeg
    68243943-A519-4B96-B504-21A9AF958050.jpeg
    509.6 KB · Views: 327
  • 33597909-D9D7-4D6A-A2A3-D358E6477FCF.jpeg
    33597909-D9D7-4D6A-A2A3-D358E6477FCF.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 303
  • C6F3F82F-2FFC-44B8-A401-5956AA685140.jpeg
    C6F3F82F-2FFC-44B8-A401-5956AA685140.jpeg
    937.5 KB · Views: 321
  • 8F808DFA-D346-4CC4-A6C9-EEECCB1AC9FA.jpeg
    8F808DFA-D346-4CC4-A6C9-EEECCB1AC9FA.jpeg
    440.7 KB · Views: 278
  • 063E4682-124D-4F46-945A-BAD2501B1122.jpeg
    063E4682-124D-4F46-945A-BAD2501B1122.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 328
Is your father one of the Madhibaan J1s on yfull?
My father was told he was Dhulbahante and that’s who they lived with. Madhimaan, tumaal were names created by others and occupational walaal. They never heard of it or were called that in Bale. We do match with cise Cadde and Mohamed barres and they are closer to us than the Arabs.

Keep in mind- You have several ev32 “tumaal or Madhiimans” in the harti group as well as ones that carry T and are in the Isaac group as well as those who are E-18637 and are close to hawiyess and some of the mjs.

Somalis have to keep in mind a job or craft cannot be a tribe or lineage. It’s noble to create with the hands Allah gave you but it’s not okay to oppress your own, especially for the silliest reasons. We are in the process of learning more and will share a deeper analysis with the next few months. Still waiting on yiber test to see if they will also be the same J1.

Watch this video below to hear one yiber man share his story.

Not trying to be disrespectful but have you ever considered the J1 haplogroup may have been acquired through a non paternal event.
Yes we did, no lie 😂. At first we were like what the heck happened we need some answers but at the same time I don’t think it’s unusual as the horn especially zaylac through harar were influenced by Arabs. This can be ancient, during the spread of Islam, through trade etc. Its not uncommon in Ethiopia and harari connects to have a J1. about 3-4% of Somalis carry this also. I feel like we are the remnants of Ahmed gureys fighters or a religious sheikh the way it’s going. There are a lot of stories out there regarding bari and Islamic leaders.

Yes we did, no lie 😂. At first we were like what the heck happened we need some answers but at the same time I don’t think it’s unusual as the horn especially zaylac through harar were influenced by Arabs. This can be ancient, during the spread of Islam, through trade etc. Its not uncommon in Ethiopia and harari connects to have a J1. about 3-4% of Somalis carry this also. I feel like we are the remnants of Ahmed gureys fighters or a religious sheikh the way it’s going. There are a lot of stories out there regarding bari and Islamic leaders.
Do you have relatives in sool? I’m from las anod btw, this is my haplogroup Ev32

Attachments

• 39700A47-FAC6-4DC7-BC7B-062EC16A657A.png
    39700A47-FAC6-4DC7-BC7B-062EC16A657A.png
    1,019.1 KB · Views: 221
My father was told he was Dhulbahante and that’s who they lived with. Madhimaan, tumaal were names created by others and occupational walaal. They never heard of it or were called that in Bale. We do match with cise Cadde and Mohamed barres and they are closer to us than the Arabs.

Keep in mind- You have several ev32 “tumaal or Madhiimans” in the harti group as well as ones that carry T and are in the Isaac group as well as those who are E-18637 and are close to hawiyess and some of the mjs.

Somalis have to keep in mind a job or craft cannot be a tribe or lineage. It’s noble to create with the hands Allah gave you but it’s not okay to oppress your own, especially for the silliest reasons. We are in the process of learning more and will share a deeper analysis with the next few months. Still waiting on yiber test to see if they will also be the same J1.

Tumaal,Madhibaan,Yibir and Gabooye atleast in Somaliland are legit clans and not just occupations, don't know about Somalia or Oromia-Somali border areas.

Some clans like perhaps the Dhulbahante and other clans might have assimilated members of these groups but among Isaaqs we are very strict.We don't have a culture of assimilating these occupational castes.Have you seen any authentic reer Hargeysa Gabooye minority results?

I suspect that Gabooyes with Semitic haplogroups are just 'lost' Yemenis who found themselves in Somalia at some point in history. It adds up, Yemenis and other Semites are skilled labourers and even today, when they arrive in Somalia, they do manual labour and if they stay for several generations, they will end up marrying ethnic Somalis and their autosomal DNA will be Somali.

Last edited:
@ladySomal206

The people I am curious about, are the Gabooyes with E1b1.. haplogroups, I wonder if the rumours are true; for example, the one where Madhibaans say they are "lost Hawiye" and are called Mohamed/Mohamoud Gorgarte. If they are, surely this will show up the more testing is done, as in they will match with other Hawiyes.

A Malibaan from Somaliland and a Hawiye from Banadir have matched on Yfull with a TMRC of 400 years that's very close.

Madhibaans call themselves an outcast Hawiye tribe from the "Gorgarte Hawiye" tribe.
If they continue matching with Hawiye, we can conclude that the 'legend' is true.

Hoehne met an old Muse Diriye woman called Awrala Gurhan Guleed (d. 2006). She was known as herbalist and also as someone performing female circumcision and infibulation (Somali: gudniinka fircooniga), which is a typical work for Gabooye women. She outlined that Madhibaan and Muse Diriye profess somewhat abbreviated genealogies, which suggested, however, that these groups were initially part of the Hawiye clan family (a majority group). According to the legend of the brothers Mohamed Gorgarte and Mahamoud Gorgarte, they split, which explains why Gabooye (Madhibaan and Muse Diriye) are considered ‘unclean’ by dominant clans and experience discrimination as a consequence.

Vitturini added that Madhibaan and Muse Diriye were ‘attached to genealogical units and sometimes also to individuals who held a higher degree of prestige and political influence. They were reported as being associated with certain occupational tasks which the members of the majority clans despised: hunting wild animals, producing leather and shoes, cutting hair, making pottery (for women), “traditional” healing and midwifery.’594

Until today, members of the Gabooye enjoy limited protection throughout Somalia. They can be harassed and bullied with impunity, especially in Somaliland and southern Somalia.595 Only in Puntland, occupational minorities such as Gabooye and particularly Tumal, enjoy more rights and are in a slightly better position vis-a-vis majority group members than in the rest of Somalia or in Somaliland.596

A Malibaan from Somaliland and a Hawiye from Banadir have matched on Yfull with a TMRC of 400 years that's very close.
I wouldn’t be surprised as Madhiiman or tumaal was pinned on anyone that worked this job and was branded as taboo although these people hail from different tribes, A means to oppress and stop Islams spread. Unity means strength, and the Ethiopians with their Christian counterparts figured out a good way to break down any threat.

Tumaal,Madhibaan,Yibir and Gabooye atleast in Somaliland are legit clans and not just occupations, don't know about Somalia or Oromia-Somali border areas.

Some clans like perhaps the Dhulbahante and other clans might have assimilated members of these groups but among Isaaqs we are very strict.We don't have a culture of assimilating these occupational castes.Have you seen any authentic reer Hargeysa Gabooye minority results?
I believe these clans are a result of oppression and are just coalitions. After they were oppressed they just took on the names instead of fighting them. It’s like a union of people who probably did have connection to blacksmiths etc. Gaboyee is the newer title to unite these different clans.

Yes several test are from the hargeysa area; The A is canbur guleed and the T bahar guleed who matched with 7 Isaac ydna test on family tree dna ydna test.

Madhibaans call themselves an outcast Hawiye tribe from the "Gorgarte Hawiye" tribe.
If they continue matching with Hawiye, we can conclude that the 'legend' is true.

I find the ev32 tumaal or Madhiiman interesting too. I’ve heard stories of some having a connection to hawiye (mohamed Gurgute), others connection to Darood groups, and Arab links.

So far 2 samples of the occupational caste groups, one muse dhiryee and one Madhiiman are close to Hawiyee and some Majeertan etc.

More testing and yfull updates will distinguish how close etc.

we have Madhibaans belonging to E-Y18637n

But the vast majority of Madhibaans are J1 though. Clustering with Yemenis. Yemenis are known for having occupations similar to that of Madhibaans in Somalia and therefore are looked down upon by Arabs who are also camel herders. Of course, Madhibaans assimilated some Somalis belonging to haplogroup E-V32 but the vast majority are J1

World

VIP
There is a small minority of Hartis that are J1, nothing surprising. After the collapse of the Daarawiish, Sayid Mohamed(aun) and his men fled to Arsi/Bale, and settled there. Most of his soldiers were Dhulbahante so it could be that your ancestor was among them.

Last edited:
There is a small minority of Hartis that are J1, nothing surprising. After the collapse of the Daarawiish, Sayid Mohamed(aun) and his men fled to Arsi/Bale, and settled there. Most of his soldiers were Dhulbahante so it could be that your ancestor was among them.
Nope they are not Harti for sure. All of them are Madhibaans.

Trending