Ethnic identity of the Walashma dynasty is still an unsolved mystery

This interesting but doesn't solve the mystery. Argobba oral traditions just like Somali oral traditions are not a definitive proof of Walashma's identity.
I think the argobba claim os pretty weak also because there's no semitic presence in north eastern somalia which was a key part of the Adal empire.
Ifat was in eastern Shewa, which is central Ethiopia, extant 1285-1403. It was a Vassal state to Ethiopia after the defeat by Amde Seyon in 1332. At the height of its power in the 14th century it expanded to Zayla and the Gulf of Aden for a port, but the Walasma homeland was still in the Semitic highlands. Their army was initially composed of Argobba, later supplemented with Somalis after the seizure of Zayla.

1637089409455.png

Last edited:
If walashma claim to be descendants from Aw baraakhadle is it possibly that they were also Isaaq GX cuz he's shrine is always protected by Ciidagale and Habar Yoonis ?

All this is confusing cuz in Isaaq oral tradition Aw baraakhadle never had offsprings but yet you have an old Somali royal family claiming to be descendented from the dead saint
Sorry to tell you Walashma was Absame dynasty.

The Glorious Victories of Amde Seyon says that the rulers of Ifat and Adal were "Jeberti" ethnicity, and living descendants of the Walashma today trace their ancestry to Ogaden. The dynasty's name in Somali is Wilinwili, not Walashma, which I believe was actually a title not a name (Wali Ashma, governor of the Awash).

According to the Wilinwili who shared his lineage with me, his ancestry is:

Waali Asmac Cumar "Wilinwiili"
Duunyaxus
Axmed
Mahammad
Xamid
Yuusuf
Barkanti
Sacad
Muddan
Amudan "Muqaabul"
Barwaaq
Tagaalwaaq
Ogaadeen

The Argobba were the rules of the Sultanate of Shawa, which intermarried with the Sultanate of Ifat and one of the rulers of Ifat had a dynastic claim from his mothers side on the throne of Shawa and pressed his claim, conquering Shawa in the 12th century. The identity of this sultan is not clear but it was definitely one of Cumar Wilinwili's sons or grandsons.

This was after a number of dynastic wars with various claimants overthrowing one another until Ifat settled the issue and absorbed the sultanate.

The Glorious Victories also state that the capital of Adal in the 14th century was at Awsa, not Zeila or the later capital at Dakkar or the 16th century capital at Harar.

After Harar split away from Adal in the 17th century the capital of Adal was moved back to Awsa where it remained until the Afars conquered Awsa in the late 17th century.

One of the biggest sources of confusion regarding the Walashma identity is the association with Yusuf Barkhadle. The name is very similar however the lineage is Yusuf Barkanti not Yusuf Barkhadle, who is an entirely different person who lived many centuries before Yusuf Barkhadle.

The Glorious Victories of Amde Seyon says that the rulers of Ifat and Adal were "Jeberti" ethnicity, and living descendants of the Walashma today trace their ancestry to Ogaden. The dynasty's name in Somali is Wilinwili, not Walashma, which I believe was actually a title not a name (Wali Ashma, governor of the Awash).

According to the Wilinwili who shared his lineage with me, his ancestry is:

Waali Asmac Cumar "Wilinwiili"
Duunyaxus
Axmed
Mahammad
Xamid
Yuusuf
Barkanti
Sacad
Muddan
Amudan "Muqaabul"
Barwaaq
Tagaalwaaq
Ogaadeen
Bunch of nonsense BS :drakekidding:

The medieval walashma dynasty has produced a great number of rulers who controlled much of northeastern somalia and Eastern Ethiopia.
Their ethnicity though is still disputed, some sources mention them as light skinned arabs while other scholars have suggested they were ethiosemitic speakers.
There are two main problems with this narrative.
1) arab may have settled in northern somaloa but there is absolutely ZERO remains of their presence both genetically and historically. The areas of Somalia which had a cristal clear arab presence like Mogadishu, Merca and Barawe still have sizable arab admixed minorities but northern somaliland and Ethiopia have nothing of this nature. This leads me to the conclusion that the Walashma were native Africans. Ibn battuta also described the Adal capital Zeila as being inhabited by black skinned peoples which reinforces my conclusion.
2) the real dispute is wether they were somalis or not. Unfortunately there's not much to indicate that the walashma were ethnic somalis, the names of the rulers are arabic and there's no written documents that identify them as somalis on the other hand though there's zero evidence they were ethiosemitic speakers. The only thing that links the Walashma with the somali nation is Aw barkhadle who is regarded as a founding father of the dinasty, Aw barkhadle has a connection with many northern somali clans. The Walashma also claimed to be descendants of Aqeel ibn abu taleb which is the same claim that darood clans have.
I've read that the Walashma have been also linked to the argobba muslim habeshas but this seems unlikely since the Walashma territory is in the heart of somali and harari speaking areas .
My conclusion is that the Walashma may have been a mixed somali+arab+harari group which could explain why they were never refered to as being somali, harari or arab.
I completely dismiss the hypothesis that they were Arabs because as i said there is not many traces left by arabs in that part of Somalia.
What do you think?
There is too much conjecture. Find yourself a genuine Willinwilli and get him tested.

Last edited:

Apollo

VIP
There is too much conjecture. Find yourself a genuine Willinwilli and get him tested.

Prestige lineages often get claimed by a bunch of people who do not actually descend from that lineage.

Great example: the Banu Hashim... not everybody claiming to be Banu Hashim, is actually genuinely Banu Hashim.

You will get the same issue with trying to research people claiming Walashma descent.

Prestige lineages often get claimed by a bunch of people who do not actually descend from that lineage.

Great example: the Banu Hashim... not everybody claiming to be Banu Hashim, is actually genuinely Banu Hashim.

You will get the same issue with trying to research people claiming Walashma descent.
Leo Africanus and Asma Giyorgis cant even agree on the languages the Walashma spoke. Big sections of the history dont follow logically and more is clearly just fable. There has to be a better way.

Som

VIP
The argobba hypothesis is also conjecture. Honestly we don't have clear cut proof of Walashma's ethnicity. According to arab historian Maqrizi the Walashma first landed in Zeila, ibn battuta described zeila as a city of the barbar people which are now identified with modern somalis. Zeila has an exclusively somali population with minor afar influence in the past, if the Walashma were from zeila it doesn't make any sense to say the were argobba since this population never had any presence in Zeila or modern day Somaliweyn territories

Som

VIP
Leo Africanus and Asma Giyorgis cant even agree on the languages the Walashma spoke. Big sections of the history dont follow logically and more is clearly just fable. There has to be a better way.
I think Ethiopian scholars would certainly know if Walashma's were fellow habeshas and ethiosemitic speakers. If Walashma's were argobba the ethiopians would have clearly identified them as such but they never did

I think Ethiopian scholars would certainly know if Walashma's were fellow habeshas and ethiosemitic speakers. If Walashma's were argobba the ethiopians would have clearly identified them as such but they never did
I don't understand where you're getting this. Read The Short History I posted again. The Argobba say the Walashma were not Argobba, they were Mawyan Arabs. Asma Giyorgis says the Walashma spoke Arabic among themselves and claimed Arabic descent. Both are credible Ethiopian sources.

The argobba hypothesis is also conjecture. Honestly we don't have clear cut proof of Walashma's ethnicity. According to arab historian Maqrizi the Walashma first landed in Zeila, ibn battuta described zeila as a city of the barbar people which are now identified with modern somalis. Zeila has an exclusively somali population with minor afar influence in the past, if the Walashma were from zeila it doesn't make any sense to say the were argobba since this population never had any presence in Zeila or modern day Somaliweyn territories
You are making far too much out of Zayla.The Mawyanni Arabs came through the port of Zayla in the 10th century; they were not from Zayla and did not capture the port until the 14th century. They were then almost immediately defeated by Amda Seyon in 1332, becoming an Ethiopian vassal state and beginning the Christian-Muslim conflict in earnest. The last sultan of Ifat was killed in 1403 AD, giving rise to Muslim power centers in Harar and Awdal and leading to Ahmad Gurey's wars.

Trending

Latest posts