Ethiopia recognizes NW secessionist movement

As for Somaliland, with the utmost respect to Somalilanders, it is a failed project also. Its economy will always be at par with Somalia at best unless it gets its secession recognised. Its military will always be less equipped, its development will lag behind as most dollars will go to Mogadishu and its population will grow at a slower rate.

You can't compare Somalia and Somaliland.
Somalia is a failed state and Somaliland is a functioning unrecognized state. (The unrecognized state is more developed)

What's the point of comparing them economically and military?

If the Somaliland government couldn't leave Hargeisa I would agree they were equally failed states but that's not the case. Most of Somaliland territory is safe and settled, except for the part that wants to join the failed state.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

John Legend Blinds GIF by The Voice

If you have a new method for detecting ethnicity through text then sell your patent to one of those companies, you will make a lot of money.

Periplus

Minister of Propaganda
VIP
You can't compare Somalia and Somaliland.
Somalia is a failed state and Somaliland is a functioning unrecognized state. (The unrecognized state is more developed)

What's the point of comparing them economically and military?

If the Somaliland government couldn't leave Hargeisa I would agree they were equally failed states but that's not the case. Most of Somaliland territory is safe and settled, except for the part that wants to join the failed state.

Somaliland is an unrecognised state that does not have control of its borders.

Somalia is a recognised state that does not have control of its borders.

Fixed it for you :)

Somaliland is an unrecognised state that does not have control of its borders.

Somalia is a recognised state that does not have control of its borders.

Fixed it for you :)

In terms of territorial control, freedom of movement, political stability - Somaliland is a comfortably functional state, some border area is not under control at the moment but small deal.

Somalia is a patchwork of autonomous regions that sometimes fight the government, insurgency that is existential threat to the government and even limits state building by infilitration.

These arguments are not good, everyone knows this is a horrible argument.

There are hardly any secessionists on this forum, because you people lose your minds everytime someone mentions it positively or argues in favor of it.
No nigga it’s the other way around. I supported somaliland till I met landers and heard their opinions.
dats some shit dat you can only support in theory.

Periplus

Minister of Propaganda
VIP
In terms of territorial control, freedom of movement, political stability - Somaliland is a comfortably functional state, some border area is not under control at the moment but small deal.

Somalia is a patchwork of autonomous regions that sometimes fight the government, insurgency that is existential threat to the government and even limits state building by infilitration.

These arguments are not good, everyone knows this is a horrible argument.

Functional state in what sense?

Somaliland is closer to Somalia in functionality than to Kenya or Ethiopia.

Unless you want to be delusional on the internet, in that case, by all means defend your point.

Functional state in what sense?

Somaliland is closer to Somalia in functionality than to Kenya or Ethiopia.

Unless you want to be delusional on the internet, in that case, by all means defend your point.

You had a whole other thread where you used critical thinking? And now you can't even think why an unrecognized state might be underdeveloped and more closely resemble the parent state?

I know you love this ethnostate idea but you can't really argue this point. Somaliland will struggle to attract investment while it's legal title is under this politically unstable Somalia umbrella and it can't really cash out on the peace that's most been held for the last 30 years.

Let me ask you a question. In all of the coverage you have seen of the Ethiopia Somalia MoU has any commentator said it would be a bad idea for Somaliland to be recognized (for Somaliland not Somalia) or that it was of neglible value? That should explain to you the value or the consequences of being unrecognized and considered a part of Somalia.

You want to believe that Somaliland is better off in Somalia. You are starting with your conclusion and trying to work backwards but the facts don't add up that the ethnostate benefits all Somalis. For Somalilanders it's a problem security wise and a cost. Djibouti has done well away from the choas of Mogadishu, Somaliland will too soon I hope.

I'm not responding any more to this. You know the facts well enough you just can't accept them and that's not my business.

Last edited:

Periplus

Minister of Propaganda
VIP
You had a whole other thread where you used critical thinking? And now you can't even think why an unrecognized state might be underdeveloped and more closely resemble the parent state?

I know you love this ethnostate idea but you can't really argue this point. Somaliland will struggle to attract investment while it's legal title is under this politically unstable Somalia umbrella and it can't really cash out on the peace that's most been held for the last 30 years.

Let me ask you a question. In all of the coverage you have seen of the Ethiopia Somalia MoU has any commentator said it would be a bad idea for Somaliland to be recognized (for Somaliland not Somalia) or that it was of neglible value? That should explain to you the value or the consequences of being unrecognized and considered a part of Somalia.

You want to believe that Somaliland is better off in Somalia. You are starting with your conclusion and trying to work backwards but the facts don't add up that the ethnostate benefits all Somalis. For Somalilanders it's a problem security wise and a cost. Djibouti has done well away from the choas of Mogadishu, Somaliland will too soon I hope.

I'm not responding any more to this. You know the facts well enough you just can't accept them and that's not my business.

I’m glad we can agree on some things.

I never said Somaliland is better off with Somalia. What I am saying is that Somaliland isn’t becoming a sovereign state. The situation today is the best you will get.

Somaliland will remain part of Somalia legally and will remain impoverished while Somalia is impoverished.

When Somalia becomes stable and more developed, Somaliland will be too.

But by then, your selling point of being stable in the Horn and the success story will be irrelevant.

There will be a larger, richer and more developed democracy in the Horn right next door.

I hope you can now see the futility of secession. You are being held hostage due to not cooperating. Is it fair? No, but life isn’t fair.

I’m glad we can agree on some things.

I never said Somaliland is better off with Somalia. What I am saying is that Somaliland isn’t becoming a sovereign state. The situation today is the best you will get.

Somaliland will remain part of Somalia legally and will remain impoverished while Somalia is impoverished.

When Somalia becomes stable and more developed, Somaliland will be too.

But by then, your selling point of being stable in the Horn and the success story will be irrelevant.

There will be a larger, richer and more developed democracy in the Horn right next door.

I hope you can now see the futility of secession. You are being held hostage due to not cooperating. Is it fair? No, but life isn’t fair.

I wasn't going to reply but you keep twisting my point.

I don't agree with you at all.

Secession is futile because of a fairy tale you just made up? It was known a long time ago the FGS would fail. The same reason Somalis never agreed on a government is going to be the reason the current government fails once the external support dries up.

Periplus

Minister of Propaganda
VIP

Secession is futile because of a fairy tale you just made up? It was known a long time ago the FGS would fail. The same reason Somalis never agreed on a government is going to be the reason the current government fails once the external support dries up.

And while Somalis never agree on a government, Somaliland will remain impoverished because it won’t be recognised.

That’s what you don’t understand, Somaliland is never getting recognised by Xamar.

And since you admit, that SLs development and functionality is tied to Somalia, that means you have a stake in our progress whether you like it or not.

So your choices are either the status quo of being de-facto independent and poor or hoping Somalia gets its shit together, which means your oasis of stability becomes irrelevant.

And while Somalis never agree on a government, Somaliland will remain impoverished because it won’t be recognised.

That’s what you don’t understand, Somaliland is never getting recognised by Xamar.

And since you admit, that SLs development and functionality is tied to Somalia, that means you have a stake in our progress whether you like it or not.

So your choices are either the status quo of being de-facto independent and poor or hoping Somalia gets its shit together, which means your oasis of stability becomes irrelevant.

Wrong again.

There's many points in between that are also highly beneficial. Recognition by multiple countries which is now on the cards will be a big development for Somaliland.

SL's development is tied to the recognition that it is part of Somalia. If important countries start to recognize SL and deal with it independently it can start to make much better progress. That's why the MoU is a big step forward and why Somalia is so desperate to stop it and has been in the past desperate to stop deals like the Berbera port development.

Mudug_gyal

لا تَقْنَطُوا مِنْ رَحْمَةِ اللَّه
VIP

30+ years and counting and still no state just how long will you hold people hostage in limbo state? Its only a matter of time before people get fed up with the ictiraaf train as did khatumo. Hopefully somalia becomes functioning again and put yall in your place. All the federal states in somalia agreed to be under somalia just what makes you guys so special to deserve a state? why make an exception for SL and give them independence knowing they’d be a thorn in the side of Somaliweyn collaborating with our sworn enemy?

30+ years and counting and still no state just how long will you hold people hostage in limbo state? Its only a matter of time before people get fed up with the ictiraaf train as did khatumo. Hopefully somalia becomes functioning again and put yall in your place. All the federal states in somalia agreed to be under somalia just what makes you guys so special to deserve a state? why make an exception for SL and give them independence knowing they’d be a thorn in the side of Somaliweyn collaborating with our sworn enemy?

Somalia is a limbo country. Puntland doing it's ownthing never contributing to the south. The south at war with itself and the extremists. These are the first problems to solve. Somaliland will never contribute to Somalia in a million years so forget that.

Somalia owes reparations and recognition before normalization of relations.

Mudug_gyal

لا تَقْنَطُوا مِنْ رَحْمَةِ اللَّه
VIP
Somalia is a limbo country. Puntland doing it's ownthing never contributing to the south. The south at war with itself and the extremists. These are the first problems to solve. Somaliland will never contribute to Somalia in a million years so forget that.
No. We are one country whether you like it or not. Somaliland this somaliland that only to get dragged by khatumo with our backing. You guys cant back the chat. The memes were funny though

No. We are one country whether you like it or not. Somaliland this somaliland that only to get dragged by khatumo with our backing. You guys cant back the chat. The memes were funny though

Khatumo is some border region nothing new. Every country has some wild region, we will regain ours soon enough. These regions have no bearing on the function of Somaliland. Somaliland has very strong support from the majority of the population.