Educating Somalis: The Adal War has nothing to do with Somalia

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know most of you take pride and are confident in your ignorance :) but I am here to educate you. :) The Adal war was between the Abyssinian christian highlanders and the low land Muslims both were composed of different ethnic groups and are found in current Ethiopia. There were Amharas, Tigrians, Agews etc on the christian side and there were Somalis, Harari, Argoba, Oromo etc. on the muslim side. It was a religion war and NOT an ethnic war and no single ethnic group can claim the history to be his alone, except of course many ignorant Somalis :).
At the time there was no Somali state or the concept of Somali statehood and hence it can't be a Ethiopia vs Somalia war. No Ethiopian associates this war with Somalis or Somalia. We Ethiopians see it as an internal civil war between muslim Ethiopians vs Christian Ethiopians, since most of the ethnic groups involved are in current Ethiopia and the battle also took place in current Ethiopia. In fact the wife of Ahmad Gragn has a wollo name Bati with Amharic family name called "del Wambara" meaning "her seat is victory".
At that time the Abyssinian State was not fighting a country or a state called Somalia. No such thing or concept at that time. But for some reason Somalis want to link the Adal war to the 1977 Ogaden war that took place between Ethiopia and Somalia. What has the Adal war to do with the 1977 war is a puzzle for most Ethiopians because we don't associate it at all. And what has proper Somalia aka Italian Somalia has to do with Adal war? That is also puzzling for us. It is most likely due to Siad Barre propaganda. The Adal war took place in current Ethiopia but the ones that brag the most about it come from Somalia? :)
What most Somalis do to the Adal war is something that no historian is allowed to do, i.e. taking concepts from the current era and projecting it back to the historical event even if the current concept was completely foreign to the historical time.

Last edited:
@Wei good question, we come here because this place is full of Ethio hating and bashing. That is an invitation for us to educate. :) Besides, Somalis are way fun than Ethios and good for killing time. :)

Show some proof or you're a liar. :)
Either way, it doesn't matter to me. :) We still have the Ajuuran Empire, so Isaaq/Dir can back up their empire. :)

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
I know most of you take pride and are confident in your ignorance :) but I am here to educate you. :) The Adal war was between the Abyssinian christian highlanders and the low land Muslims both were composed of different ethnic groups and are found in current Ethiopia. There were Amharas, Tigrians, Agews etc on the christian side and there were Somalis, Harari, Argoba, Oromo etc. on the muslim side. It was a religion war and NOT an ethnic war and no single ethnic group can claim the history to be his alone, except of course many ignorant Somalis :).
At the time there was no Somali state or the concept of Somali statehood and hence it can't be a Ethiopia vs Somalia war. No Ethiopian associates this war with Somalis or Somalia. We Ethiopians see it as an internal civil war between muslim Ethiopians vs Christian Ethiopians, since most of the ethnic groups involved are in current Ethiopia and the battle also took place in current Ethiopia. In fact the wife of Ahmad Gragn has a wollo name Bati with Amharic family name called "del Wambara" meaning "her seat is victory".
At that time the Abyssinian State was not fighting a country or a state called Somalia. No such thing or concept at that time. But for some reason Somalis want to link the Adal war to the 1977 Ogaden war that took place between Ethiopia and Somalia. What has the Adal war to do with the 1977 war is a puzzle for most Ethiopians because we don't associate it at all. And what has proper Somalia aka Italian Somalia has to do with Adal war? That is also puzzling for us. It is most likely due to Siad Barre propaganda. The Adal war took place in current Ethiopia but the ones that brag the most about it come from Somalia? :)
What most Somalis do to the Adal war is something that no historian is allowed to do, i.e. taking concepts from the current era and projecting it back to the historical event even if the current concept was completely foreign to the historical time.

Your colours of hating Somalis is already showing. Let me educate you dumb Habashi concubine.

Adal Sultanate was founded, ruled and dominated by Somalis. Let's not forget the capital was a Somali city called Zeila. :)

Let's start off with the rulers of Adal Sultanate which were Walashma Dynasty which was a royal Somali dynasty who claimed their origins from Yusuf bin Ahmad al-Kawneyn who is a very famous Somali saint.

"Yusuf bin Ahmad al-Kawneyn is believed to be born in Zeila during the early Adal Kingdom period which he associated with. Yusuf bin Ahmad al-Kawneyn is a very famous Somali saint figure. He is believed to be the founder and ancestor of the royal family known as Walashma Dynasty that governed both Ifat Sultanate and Adal Sultanate during the middle ages."

Source: Nehemia Levtzion; Randall Pouwels (Mar 31, 2000). The History of Islam in Africa. Ohio University Press. page. 242.

Somalis were also the majority of Adal Sultanate. :)

"During Adal's initial period, when it was centered in city of Zeila in the present-day northwestern Awdal region, the kingdom was primarily composed of Somalis (Predominantly), Afars, Hararis and Arabs."

Source: David Hamilton Shinn & Thomas P. Ofcansky (2004). Historical Dictionary of Ethiopia. Scarecrow Press. page 5.

Even the official language of Adal Sultanate was Somali. :)

"Somali was the most commonly used language of government and social life while Arabic was most prominently used for religious studies."

Source: Fage, J.D (2010). "The Cambridge History of Africa: From c. 1050 to c. 1600". ISIM Review. UK: Cambridge University Press (Spring 2005): page 139.

The army were also majority Somalis from Adal Sultanate meaning they were the main killers and fighters of that kingdom. :)

"The Sultanate of Adal, which emerged as the major Muslim principality from 1420 to 1560, seems to have recruited its military force mainly from among the Somalis."

Source: John L. Esposito, editor, The Oxford History of Islam, (Oxford University Press: 2000), page. 501

Heck, the Abyssinian and Adal war. Most of the troops were Somali which is why so many Somali clans were mentioned while the other Muslims were a minority and subjects of Somalis.

And you have been debunked! :)

Last edited:
Your colours of hating Somalis is already showing. Let me educate you you dumb Habashi concubine.

Adal Sultanate was founded, ruled and dominated by Somalis. Let's not forget the capital was a Somali city called Zeila. :)

Let's start off with the rulers of Adal Sultanate which were Walashma Dynasty which was a royal Somali dynasty who claimed their origins from Yusuf bin Ahmad al-Kawneyn who is a very famous Somali saint.

"Yusuf bin Ahmad al-Kawneyn is believed to be born in Zeila during the early Adal Kingdom period which he associated with. Yusuf bin Ahmad al-Kawneyn is a very famous Somali saint figure. He is believed to be the founder and ancestor of the royal family known as Walashma Dynasty that governed both Ifat Sultanate and Adal Sultanate during the middle ages."

Source: Nehemia Levtzion; Randall Pouwels (Mar 31, 2000). The History of Islam in Africa. Ohio University Press. page. 242.

"During Adal's initial period, when it was centered in city of Zeila in the present-day northwestern Awdal region, the kingdom was primarily composed of Somalis (Predominantly), Afars, Hararis and Arabs."

Source: David Hamilton Shinn & Thomas P. Ofcansky (2004). Historical Dictionary of Ethiopia. Scarecrow Press. page 5.

"Somali was the most commonly used language of government and social life while Arabic was most prominently used for religious studies."

Source: Fage, J.D (2010). "The Cambridge History of Africa: From c. 1050 to c. 1600". ISIM Review. UK: Cambridge University Press (Spring 2005): page 139.

The army were also majority Somalis from Adal Sultanate meaning they were the main killers and fighters of that kingdom. :)

"The Sultanate of Adal, which emerged as the major Muslim principality from 1420 to 1560, seems to have recruited its military force mainly from among the Somalis."

Source: John L. Esposito, editor, The Oxford History of Islam, (Oxford University Press: 2000), page. 501

Heck, the Abyssinian and Adal war. Most of the troops were Somali which is why so many Somali clans are mentioned while the other Muslims were a minority and subjects of Somalis.

I would be mad too if my ancestors were slaves & concubines of Somali men. :)
:lolbron::ooh:

MariaMaria

Education, Peace and Prosperity
Your colours of hating Somalis is already showing. Let me educate you you dumb Habashi concubine.

Heck, the Abyssinian and Adal war. Most of the troops were Somali which is why so many Somali clans are mentioned while the other Muslims were a minority and subjects of Somalis.

Thank you, I was literally getting all my sources ready

:bell:

Op didn't even do a basic google search before making this thread

The whole Awdal region comes from the Adal empire

MariaMaria

Education, Peace and Prosperity
Adal Sultanate is most definitely part of Dir history.

The Dir clan is one of the oldest clans in the Horn of Africa and the oldest clan among the Somalis.[5] According to Somali history, two of the oldest monarchies in the region, the Ifat and Adal Sultanates, were dominated by Dir.[6]

The early Adal Kingdom (9th century to 13th century) was an exclusive Dir Kingdom with its capital being Zeila.[7] In the 10th century, the Jarso clan a sub-division of Dir established the Dawaro Sultanate centred in Hararghe Highlands.

The Dir-Madaxweyne Akisho, along with the Gurgura, Issa and Gadabuursi subclans of the Dir represent the most native and indigenous Somali tribes in Harar.[8] [9] [10]

sources : https://www.revolvy.com/main/index.php?s=Dir (clan)

5.Ethnographic Survey of Africa, Volume 5, Issue 1. International African Institute. 1969. p. 17. Retrieved 15 February 2018
6.Futūḥ al-Ḥabasha. (n.d.). Christian-Muslim Relations 1500 - 1900. doi:10.1163/2451-9537_cmrii_com_26077
7.Encyclopedia Americana, Volume 25. Americana Corporation. 1965. p. 255.

A misinformation campaign in a Somali forum? At least have your facts lined up before you proceed to make a mockery of yourself. Your knowledge of the Adal empire is either severely limited or spewed in your twisted fabrication of history.

@Factz see you are reacting as I expected, emotional and too quick before even fully understanding my argument. Go back and read again. I said Somali was one of the ethnic groups. I am not talking about Somali. The issue here is not Somali as ethnicity but Somalia as a state and country. I was talking about Somalia vs Ethiopia and the Ogaden war not about ethnic Somalis. Go back read and come to argue with me. You guys are too emotional. :)

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
@Factz see you are reacting as I expected, emotional and too quick before even fully understanding my argument. Go back and read again. I said Somali was one of the ethnic groups. I am not talking about Somali. The issue here is not Somali as ethnicity but Somalia as a state and country. I was talking about Somalia vs Ethiopia and the Ogaden war not about ethnic Somalis. Go back read and come to argue with me. You guys are too emotional. :)

Why are you lying ? You said Abyssinian and Adal war was Christian Ethiopians vs Muslim Ethiopians and that it had nothing to do with Somalis? :westbrookwtf:

You even said a Somali commander called Ahmed gurey was Amharic. :what:

Read what you said. :tocry:

L8cNjMJzQq_Xbg4OBYsi9g.png

I forgot to debunk the Ahmed Gurey part. :superman:

1. Ahmed Gurey was born in Zeila.
2. He was part of the Walashma Dynasty which was a royal ruling Somali family.
3. He was only fluent in Somali according to the Portuguese traveler.
4. Most of his troops consist of ethnic Somalis.
5. His brother called Umar Din stated he was SOMALI.

If Ahmed Gurey is Amharic than the Solomonic dynasty is Somali. :drakewtf:

@xabashi

We love Habesha women, you can share our history and our beds too Insha'Allah.

I will not accept any Abdi insulting you or your people.

@xabashi
Can you post a pic or a video of any Habesha girl that you resemble because I want to visualise the person I'm talking to. Please post any vid/pic so I can get s glimpse of what you look like

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts