Educating one eyed Somalis about the 77 Ethio-Somalia war

Status
Not open for further replies.
giphy.gif

Wardheere

Qolana Janno qolana naar
One eyed Somalis always brag about how they almost destroyed Ethiopia in the 77 war and the Ethiopians were saved by foreigners like Cuba & Soviets. They conclude that if Ethiopia and Somalia were alone, Somalia will always win. The same narrative is told about the Adal war over and over again about the Portuguese support the Abyssinians got. And yet again the message is clear. If only Somalia and Ethiopia were alone, Somalia will always win the war.

But if the one eyed Somalis opened their other eye, they could see that prior to the 77 war, the Soviets massively built the Somali army and the airforce, supplied it with heavy weaponry etc. But for the one eyed Somalis this doesn't count. The other fact most one eyed Somalis refuse to see is the fact that Ethiopia at that time was literally in a civil war. The new government, the dergue was less than 3 years in power and didn't even control many regions of the country. EPLF in Eritrea, TPLF in Tigray and EDU and EPRP in Amhara region were fighting against the dergue.

When Somalia started the invasion, Jimmy Carter refused to supply weapons to Ethiopia because the dergue deposed the King by military coup. In this chaos and with massive help from the Soviet did the Somalia army attacked Ethiopia.

Yes, in this situation the new and inexperienced government sought help from anyone and it got from the communists. Thank God the Soviets were willing to drop Somalia and switch sides to Ethiopia. The cubans delivered mechanised unites because the Ethiopian army was not prepared for the war. Anyhow this is the context both got support, Ethiopia in the middle of the war and in a very chaotic and unprepared manner and Somalia prior to the war with much time to build its army. The myth it was Somalia vs Ethiopia/its allies is just that, a myths. The same is true about the Adal war, the Portuguese didn't even provide half the support the Ottomans gave to the Adals. The Adals got even artillery, which the Abyssinians never had. But still it is considered not support by one eyed Somalis.

At the end of the day Ethiopia prevailed because as we say "Ye Ethiopia Amlak" or "God of Ethiopia" saved her and will always save her from any attack. God bless Ethiopia and God bless our friends! A friend in need is a friend indeed.
What do you say about the war of 1964 between ethiopia and somalia when the soveits were not even in somalia? You attacked and you got destroyed and retreated back. That was the end of the war.

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
He is a former warlord who got elected now.

Shut up warya! He was no warlord but a great general for an SNM sub-division that liberated Hargeisa from a brutal maniac dictator called Siad Barre who was responsible for killing and bombing innocent people in Hargeisa. He was a hero and a legend for doing that.

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
Doesn't excuse the Awdal massacre

Are you autistic? Didn't I educate you that Muuse Biixi was part of another SNM division that liberated Hargeisa and Fararweyne, while another SNM division was fighting against Gadabursi? Habar Awal were divided into clans with their own respected divisions. Don't be intellectually dishonest. Gadabursi also massacred my people first in Gabiley region until we responded. Don't twist history please.

We should talk about 1982 border war between Somalia and Ethiopia. Mengistu captured two somali towns but was unable to topple Siad Barre.

LoveandLight

LoveandLight the Liberator
One eyed Somalis always brag about how they almost destroyed Ethiopia in the 77 war and the Ethiopians were saved by foreigners like Cuba & Soviets. They conclude that if Ethiopia and Somalia were alone, Somalia will always win. The same narrative is told about the Adal war over and over again about the Portuguese support the Abyssinians got. And yet again the message is clear. If only Somalia and Ethiopia were alone, Somalia will always win the war.

But if the one eyed Somalis opened their other eye, they could see that prior to the 77 war, the Soviets massively built the Somali army and the airforce, supplied it with heavy weaponry etc. But for the one eyed Somalis this doesn't count. The other fact most one eyed Somalis refuse to see is the fact that Ethiopia at that time was literally in a civil war. The new government, the dergue was less than 3 years in power and didn't even control many regions of the country. EPLF in Eritrea, TPLF in Tigray and EDU and EPRP in Amhara region were fighting against the dergue.

When Somalia started the invasion, Jimmy Carter refused to supply weapons to Ethiopia because the dergue deposed the King by military coup. In this chaos and with massive help from the Soviet did the Somalia army attacked Ethiopia.

Yes, in this situation the new and inexperienced government sought help from anyone and it got from the communists. Thank God the Soviets were willing to drop Somalia and switch sides to Ethiopia. The cubans delivered mechanised unites because the Ethiopian army was not prepared for the war. Anyhow this is the context both got support, Ethiopia in the middle of the war and in a very chaotic and unprepared manner and Somalia prior to the war with much time to build its army. The myth it was Somalia vs Ethiopia/its allies is just that, a myths. The same is true about the Adal war, the Portuguese didn't even provide half the support the Ottomans gave to the Adals. The Adals got even artillery, which the Abyssinians never had. But still it is considered not support by one eyed Somalis.

At the end of the day Ethiopia prevailed because as we say "Ye Ethiopia Amlak" or "God of Ethiopia" saved her and will always save her from any attack. God bless Ethiopia and God bless our friends! A friend in need is a friend indeed.

Are you AmXAARa?

I remember how my grandfather told me an incident of how he wiped out an entire group of Ethiopian soldiers in a truck using a tank cannon. He still has the burns from the tank's metal coverings while trying to stand and reach the commander hatch.

YourBroMoe

Who the fuck am I? ギくェズー
I remember how my grandfather told me an incident of how he wiped out an entire group of Ethiopian soldiers in a truck using a tank cannon. He still has the burns from the tank's metal coverings while trying to stand and reach the commander hatch.
That's pretty fucking grim man. But I guess that's war, huh?

Von

With blood and Iron will we reach the fatherland
:):):) You guys are really funny. Now Ethiopia is a colony but Somalia not. Thanks for the laughs. :):) I can educate you about the occupation of Ethiopia while being the full member of the league of nation (the old UN). Not only Ethiopia but also other league of nation members like France, Poland, Denmark etc. were occupied at that time. If the 5 years occupation of Ethiopia i.e. one league of nation member occupying another is a colony then all these European countries were also a colony of Germany which is of course BS!

Anyway, I know Asli Hassan Abade and that she is the first Somali female pilot. But that is way later in the 70es.

Screen_Shot_2018_05_29_at_01_41_14.png
The difference was the Germans didn't form a political structure in the areas the controlled, nor did they invest in things like exports, school, hospitals and even trains like the Italians did to Ethiopia if Ethiopia wasnt a colony i guess Africa wasn't either:ulyin:

The difference was the Germans didn't form a political structure in the areas the controlled, nor did they invest in things like exports, school, hospitals, no structures and even trains like the Italians did to Ethiopia if Ethiopia wasnt a colony i guess Africa wasn't either:ulyin:

Dude you should stop talking about things you don't know. Fascist Italy built some roads and few buildings in Addis that is it. No schools, no hospitals, no trains in Ethiopia. They couldn't even control outside main towns. The patriotic Arbegnas were in charge outside the cities. And which structure are you talking about? All preexisting royal and feudal structures continued after the occupation. Haile Selassie after seeing the modernity of Europe in his 5 years exile in England created all the modern structures and infrastructure like constitution, university, school system, hospitals, Ethiopian Airlines etc. NOT the Italians. You are equating your colonization with Ethiopia. :)

Remember Ethiopia was a full member of league of nations, the then UN. Just because we are African doesn't make the 5 year invasion a colony.

Von

With blood and Iron will we reach the fatherland
Dude you should stop talking about things you don't know. Fascist Italy built some roads and few buildings in Addis that is it. No schools, no hospitals, no trains in Ethiopia. They couldn't even control outside main towns. The patriotic Arbegnas were in charge outside the cities. And which structure are you talking about? All preexisting royal and feudal structures continued after the occupation. Haile Selassie after seeing the modernity of Europe in his 5 years exile in England created all the modern structures and infrastructure like constitution, university, school system, hospitals, Ethiopian Airlines etc. NOT the Italians. You are equating your colonization with Ethiopia. :)

Remember Ethiopia was a full member of league of nations, the then UN. Just because we are African doesn't make the 5 year invasion a colony.

The Italians invested substantively in Ethiopian infrastructure development. They created the "imperial road" between Addis Abeba and Massaua, the Addis Abeba - Mogadishu and the Addis Abeba - Assab.[9] 900 km of railways were reconstructed or initiated (like the railway between Addis Abeba and Assab), dams and hydroelectric plants were built, and many public and private companies were established in the underdeveloped country.
Italy in late 1936 requested the "League of Nations" to recognize the annexation of Ethiopia: all member nations (including Britain and France), with the exception of the Soviet Union, voted to support it. The King of Italy (Victor Emmanuel III) was crowned Emperor of Ethiopia and the Italians created an Italian empire in Africa (Italian East Africa) with Ethiopia, Eritrea and Italian Somalia

You talk about League but the British were with it :manny:

@Von where did you get all this crap? 900 km railways? :) The only railway that existed was the Addis Ababan-Dijbouti railway that was already built by the french during Minilik II. No railway during Italy occupation. :) "railway between Addis Abeba and Assab"??? :ftw9nwa: :ftw9nwa:
Too much wikipedia? :) Did you wrote this crap?
Also do you know how many countries the league failed in Europe like the czech republic and poland? And do you know how many German companies were involved in the German occupied territories. The double standard for Africa is obvious.

Colony for dummies: occupying another sovereign country = occupation. Creating a none-existent country by occupation = colony. Most African countries had no states, borders etc. prior to colony. But Ethiopia's borders were sealed by international treaties, we had a state and a recognized sovereign country. That is the reason no serious historian talks about colonization but Italian occupation.

Last edited:
Somalis have a hard time accepting that Ogaden has been annexed by Ethiopia so they try to cope by saying they would've had Ogaden if it wasn't for the Soviets and the Cubans. Which is true but it's still cope.

Doesn't matter what happened, the brutal reality is that Ethiopia is holding Ogadenia hostage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts