DP World and Ethiopia sign MoU to develop the road linking Ethiopia to Berbera

Isnt this disrespecting the Somalia govt?
It's disrespect to both Somaliland and Somalia.

Why do the Ethiopians have a 19% share in the Somaliland UAE project but SL have 0% share in the Ethiopian UAE project?

Also not a single SL representation at the signing of the MoU but Ethiopia rep. were present at the SL DP world signing.

Whatever way you look at it, Somalis are getting the short end of the stick, while Ethiopia plays on all the Somali regions securing itself the best deal.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

It's disrespect to both Somaliland and Somalia.

Why do the Ethiopians have a 19% share in the Somaliland UAE project but SL have 0% share in the Ethiopian UAE project?

Also not a single SL representation at the signing of the MoU but Ethiopia rep. were present at the SL DP world signing.

Whatever way you look at it, Somalis are getting the short end of the stick, while Ethiopia plays on all the Somali regions securing itself the best deal.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I agree this is big Ceeb, there should have been at least a SL representative present, if not the
Somali Government.

Also it looks like Ethiopia is now fully on board after they saw Infrastructure already put up in
berbera. At first, they were not serious about the whole project.

For those who say Somalia or Somaliland should be present, please read the tweet of our transport minister.

This project is about developing roads and supply chain logistics infrastructure INSIDE ETHIOPIA. This is not about port management or service where you need both the deliverer and the customer to agree. Why should other countries be invited for a project that is INSIDE ETHIOPIA? Ethiopia was also not involved in road deals between DP World and Somaliland.

Besides, when Kenya, Eritrea and Somaliland are entering the port business, it will automatically gives Ethiopia an advantage and changes the nature of the business from Djibouti’s monopoly to Ethiopian monopsony. So don’t be surprised in the future when Ethiopia will dectate the terms. That’s the nature of monopsony in business.

But always remember Ethiopia is the customer and just buying a service and not forcing anyone to sell its port service. Everything is done voluntarily. So please don’t blame Ethiopia for buying a service by paying hard currency. If you think any of the deals is unfair to the seller, please contact the seller and ask them to cancel the deal. Don’t bark on the wrong tree. As any buyer we will always try to get the best deals. That’s it.

Last edited:
For those who say Somalia or Somaliland should be present, please read the tweet of our transport minister.

This project is about developing roads and supply chain logistics infrastructure INSIDE ETHIOPIA. This is not about port management or service where you need both the deliverer and the customer to agree. Why should other countries be invited for a project that is INSIDE ETHIOPIA? Ethiopia was also not involved in road deals between DP World and Somaliland.

Besides, when Kenya, Eritrea and Somaliland are entering the port business, it will automatically gives Ethiopia an advantage and changes the nature of the business from Djibouti’s monopoly to Ethiopian monopsony. So don’t be surprised in the future when Ethiopia will dectate the terms. That’s the nature of monopsony in business.

But always remember Ethiopia is the customer and just buying a service and not forcing anyone to sell its port service. Everything is done voluntarily. So please don’t blame Ethiopia for buying a service by paying hard currency. If you think any of the deals is unfair to the seller, please contact the seller and ask them to cancel the deal. Don’t bark on the wrong tree. As any buyer we will always try to get the best deals. That’s it.
I dont think Djibouti monopoly is even monopoly.
That port is almost Ethiopian port and they get meagre revenue from Ethiopia after signing alot of unfavourable contracts to Ethiopia.
Secondly where is the somali Kilil officials? I remember when the Ethiopia Kenya road was completed Shemeles and Abye were invited at the border with Kenya.

Thirdly who is going to build the road only China can do such project but it seems the roads might be built by amateur Ethiopian civil.Engineers and end up as cashcows.I also wonder which highways will be built because the road that links Jigjiga to Wajale is there only the one from Wajale to Hargeisa and Berbera is the on that should be built.

Lastly whether its on the erhiopian part I do beleive there should be courtesy extended to Somalia govt

I dont think Djibouti monopoly is even monopoly.
That port is almost Ethiopian port and they get meagre revenue from Ethiopia after signing alot of unfavourable contracts to Ethiopia.
Secondly where is the somali Kilil officials? I remember when the Ethiopia Kenya road was completed Shemeles and Abye were invited at the border with Kenya.

Thirdly who is going to build the road only China can do such project but it seems the roads might be built by amateur Ethiopian civil.Engineers and end up as cashcows.I also wonder which highways will be built because the road that links Jigjiga to Wajale is there only the one from Wajale to Hargeisa and Berbera is the on that should be built.

Lastly whether its on the erhiopian part I do beleive there should be courtesy extended to Somalia govt

1. please get informed. You just called a 2 billion USD annual revenue “a meager revenue” :ftw9nwa:

2. As you may know the federal government is responsible for planning, financing and execution of highways. The regional officials are invited though at the inauguration ceremony and I’m sure this will not be different. Somali regional officials will be at the inauguration just like Shimelis Abdisa.

3. Which company will be awarded by the transport minister for the road construction, I can’t tell you. That’s out of scope here.

4. I disagree. Foreign representatives don’t need to be present at a signing ceremony of a road and infrastructure project that will be built inside Ethiopia and serve exclusively Ethiopia.

repo

Bantu Liberation Movement
VIP
That's exactly what is happening. Ethiopia is a protectionist country but will manage to dictate terms when exporting, that's one hell of an accomplishment. You can't import to my country but I will sure as hell export to yours and your truckers will not cross the border.

:salute:

1. please get informed. You just called a 2 billion USD annual revenue “a meager revenue” :ftw9nwa:

2. As you may know the federal government is responsible for planning, financing and execution of highways. The regional officials are invited though at the inauguration ceremony and I’m sure this will not be different. Somali regional officials will be at the inauguration just like Shimelis Abdisa.

3. Which company will be awarded by the transport minister for the road construction, I can’t tell you. That’s out of scope here.

4. I disagree. Foreign representatives don’t need to be present at a signing ceremony of a road and infrastructure project that will be built inside Ethiopia and serve exclusively Ethiopia.
I am jist curious to know which roads are being built.
Major roads in the Somali kilil have been built.

I do beleive the wachale road to Jigjiga is tarmaced.

Its only on the Somaliland side that is not.

I am jist curious to know which roads are being built.
Major roads in the Somali kilil have been built.

I do beleive the wachale road to Jigjiga is tarmaced.

Its only on the Somaliland side that is not.

I really don’t know. Transport ministry is currently building hundreds of roads all over the country. This is a highway that is inaugurated just today. During the ceremony the PM, the transport minister and the regional authorities were present.

Trending