Does Somaliweyn really not have enough water?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting a head start on a small project that can power small desalination equipment with alternative energy can prove there is hope outside of the under water systems. It's only feasible if it's to support animal feed, this way camels don't need to graze and can stay in one area.

During my uni years I had direct contact (via proff.) to a small team in India who built a desal plant that operated on solar power. These things can absolutely be set up on a small scale, and they are not expensive relatively speaking. There's also an opportunity to dose the hard-water in many of our Somali towns.

We just need enthusiastic diaspora engineers who are willing to dedicate time and effort - funding would be easy if we look at Somali remittance numbers across the world.

During my uni years I had direct contact (via proff.) to a small team in India who built a desal plant that operated on solar power. These things can absolutely be set up on a small scale, and they are not expensive relatively speaking. There's also an opportunity to dose the hard-water in many of our Somali towns.

We just need enthusiastic diaspora engineers who are willing to dedicate time and effort - funding would be easy if we look at Somali remittance numbers across the world.

Let me let you in on a secret.
:damnmusic:

In Somalia there are buyers and fixers. Anyone can buy this equipment but not any can fix it. Until we fully industrialize the society our engineers will have to import assets until they can make them and copy cat with a Somali flare like the Chinese.

In short, if you can mechanically fix anything in Somalia you will be valuable to everyone. Just imagine that part breaks down in the middle of nowhere, you need a machinist shop beside you to fix everything. Alibaba is awesome in providing specs and even videos to fix machinery. I know 3 somali guys brought trucks to Somalia and they don't know the difference between a battery and a cigarette.

:deadrose::dead:

Is it possible to create an artificial small river for all year round water supply for farming? A desalination system that can produce 264k gallons of water everyday cost 390k,

https://www.foreverpureplace.com/26...on-System-with-Ener-p/swro-1000tpd-36ktds.htm maybe the Somali government should buy these systems and take a massive amount of land for farming only and hire the locals, I'm pretty it's doable with the right team, but we don't even need that for real it's just an idea

That is a reverse osmosis system, there are additional difficulties such as the energy needed to run a RO membrane system is proportional to the salinity,( concentration of dissolved salt in water), of the water.

Salinity in the gulf of aden is around 35% and in the arabian sea is approximately 3.7%

the average sea water salinity is 3.5%

Low salinity brackish groundwater or estuarine waters treated by RO membrane systems therefore require just a fraction of the energy that thermal desalination processes would need. However, membrane systems are prone to fouling, and more chemicals are required to maintain them.

so you'll also need additional trained technicians at hand as well.

Last edited:
That is a reverse osmosis system, there are additional difficulties such as the energy needed to run a RO membrane system is proportional to the salinity,( concentration of dissolved salt in water), of the water.

Salinity in the gulf of aden is around 35% and in the arabian sea is approximately 3.7%

the average sea water salinity is 3.5%

Low salinity brackish groundwater or estuarine waters treated by RO membrane systems therefore require just a fraction of the energy that thermal desalination processes would need. However, membrane systems are prone to fouling, and more chemicals are required to maintain them.

so you'll also need additional trained technicians at hand as well.
Ur hired

waraabe

Your superior
Somalis should invest in disalination plants to purify sea water, it's no good using up natural underground water reservations.

The Israelis are good at this since they are naturally smart beings who we all should develop relations with.

Israel just built the largest desalination plant in the world

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/israel-proves-the-desalination-era-is-here/

The stupid SL admin should've gave the Israelis a base in exchange for military training and several of these plants

Somalis should invest in disalination plants to purify sea water, it's no good using up natural underground water reservations.

The Israelis are good at this since they are naturally smart beings who we all should develop relations with.

Israel just built the largest desalination plant in the world

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/israel-proves-the-desalination-era-is-here/

The stupid SL admin should've gave the Israelis a base in exchange for military training and several of these plants
We all need to cut down on khaat and invest on these projects, what do u say brother?:friendhug:

@Coulombs law maybe you and I can work on building portable desalination equipment.

As for the topic, the available potable water in Somalia, especially in Somaliland is enough to cover our small population. Most of Somaliland's water resources remain in underground aquifers. That underground fresh water is extractable with drilling equipment and can even be stored in large reservoir tanks to then be distributed to villages and towns across Somaliland.

We also need to invest in rain catchment. Flood waters need to be diverted into reservoirs, sand dams and underground cisterns. Nomads need to be settled, taught how to farm and the illegal charcoal business needs to be clamped down on.

Unfortunately, Somalis are cursed with corrupt thieves for leaders, none of that will happen anytime soon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending