Does she look Somali to you?

I was watching a netflix show called "The one" and towards the end one of the characters "true love" is a Somali woman named Yasmine who they found in a refugee camp. When I saw the actress I was a bit surprised because imo she looks like her ethnic origins are from Kenya/Tanzania. The actress name is Taz Munya. She's cute but dang, they use non somali actors/actresses most of the time for Somali roles.
You Xalimo's need to get into acting so we can see more of y'all on the big screen.

Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 6.45.36 PM.png

Last edited:
I remember my friend applied for specifically acting jobs looking for hoa but for whatever reason chose someone not from the region 🤷‍♀️

inshallah there will come a time when hollyweird and the industry will stop adding Somalis into their work , we don’t want representation 🤷‍♀️

It’s kind of funny bc AA have been complaining for a long time now that hollyweird have been giving too many jobs to British Africans which is true .

alien

📍outer space
VIP
I remember my friend applied for specifically acting jobs looking for hoa but for whatever reason chose someone not from the region 🤷‍♀️

inshallah there will come a time when hollyweird and the industry will stop adding Somalis into their work , we don’t want representation 🤷‍♀️
exactly. I've seen many cushitic HOA characters that are played by West africans or Bantus.

I was watching a netflix show called "The one" and towards the end one of the characters "true love" is a Somali woman named Yasmine who they found in a refugee camp. When I saw the actress I was a bit surprised because imo she looks like her ethnic origins are from Kenya/Tanzania. The actress name is Taz Munya. She's cute but dang, they use non somali actors/actresses most of the time for Somali roles.
You Xalimo's need to get into acting so we can see more of y'all on the big screen.

View attachment 181623
No, maybe a halfie. It would work if the character was a half Somali.

I feel the same and never understood AAs’ obsession with being in Hollyweird. That’s the one thing I respect about Tyler Perry over Spike Lee . He made his own movies, hires maadow actors and became a billionaire just from a predominantly black fan base

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
exactly. I've seen many cushitic HOA characters that are played by West africans or Bantus.

Somalis have been complaining about poor and inaccurate portrayals since Black Hawk Down when they had Congolese looking Africans speaking an unintelligible version of Somali playing Abdis. Do not be fooled these people know what Somalis look like but they are lazy with casting. I'm kind of glad so actual Somalis don't embarrass themselves or pimp themselves out to the casting couch of Hollyweird (which has gone further underground since #Metoo).

View attachment 181623
:dead::damn: leave it to the cadaans and their "diversity" to use non-Somalis to portray Somalis. I knew in about 0.5 seconds may be less that she wasn't even remotely Somali.

Trending