Do you think that the Somali language will survive here?

I notice more young adults that aren't able to speak af-somali. These people are full Somali unable to speak the language. I have some people in my family that don't even care to learn the tongue. They cannot even talk to their grandparents. Are Somali's in the west gonna end up like Italians from new jersey in 100 years?

I notice more young adults that aren't able to speak af-somali. These people are full Somali unable to speak the language. I have some people in my family that don't even care to learn the tongue. They cannot even talk to their grandparents. Are Somali's in the west gonna end up like Italians from new jersey in 100 years?
Do you live in America? The country is known as the graveyard of languages. Even 3rd & 4th generation Mexican-Americans are ditching Spanish for English in South-West USA (California, Arizona, New Mexico etc).

And yes, If things don't change then our language will likely die slowly through the generations.

Qali

Certified Pimp.
My kid gets into a fight: naaya bastardyahay fuutoda oo laadladiniiya!

Me:CAAY THAT ALICE!

aabahad waas you chokra!

*the extent of their Somali*

I live in the
Do you live in America? The country is known as the graveyard of languages. Even 3rd & 4th generation Mexican-Americans are ditching Spanish for English in South-West USA (California, Arizona, New Mexico etc).

And yes, If things don't change then our language will likely die slowly through the generations.
I know some Mexicans that have live here for 50 years and still can't speak English. Meanwhile second generation Somalia don't even know iskawaran!

Qali

Certified Pimp.
I only know how to caay ppl in Somali, that’s my greatest skill set, tbh that’s the best part of speaking Somali :banderas:

Apollo

VIP
I live in the

I know some Mexicans that have live here for 50 years and still can't speak English. Meanwhile second generation Somalia don't even know iskawaran!

Hispanics in the States & Arabs and Turks in Europe are laandheer and can keep their language alive easily.

Somalis are kind of laangaab outside of Minneapolis and London.

Hispanics in the States & Arabs and Turks in Europe are laandheer and can keep their language alive easily.

Somalis are kind of laangaab outside of Minneapolis and London.
Its deeper than that wallahi. Some of our parents were ashamed of being Somali. I have non Somali friends that know more words than some of my own extended family members. Are some parents ashamed of teaching their kids?

I live in the

I heard you can get by speaking Spanish in Miami.

Speaking Spanish in Florida is socially seen as prestigious/respectable, since it's mostly spoken by Wealthy White Cubans. Whereas, Spanish in the rest of the USA(especially in the South-West) is seen as the language of the under-class/poor folks, since it's mostly spoken by Mexican Mestizos.

First time hearing this tbh every Somali parent that I’ve seen have been very proud somalis I’ve never seen a self hating one
I might've been harsh but it's just crazy that my little cousin did not know a word of Somali not even iskawaran. It made me look at him and his parents a different way!

We're related by tribe only not my real family but still it shocked me.

Trending