Do you have any Civil War stories?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mom's family lived at xamar at the time, and in 1991 when the war reached its height, they had to hide their Mareexaan neighbours in their house and also hid their belongings, the Mareexaan family were able to escape to Ethiopia leaving during the night and later on resettle in Gedo.
My moms family also had to escape to Ethiopia because anyone who protected Daroods were hunted and killed.
My grandfather did the same as a soldier, when he was stationed in Hargeisa during the beginnings of the rebellion. The gov't would take Isaaq men and boys from their homes at night, accusing them of being rebels and either slaughter or shoot them.

xisaabiye

Ibnu Suxuufi Ibnu Al Dhoobe
@jugjugwacwac
I dont get your agenda to try and undermine and downplay what happened with isaaqs, instead of looking at the many factors at play you're just going to pin it all down to tribalistic hatred of tuke/morgan. Please do enlighten us saxib.

I dont get this cat. The title of the thread is "Do you have any civil war stories" Anaganu wixii dagaalka nagasoogaadhay markaan qorno wuxu leeyahay oohinta joojiya:drakewtf:. I'm honestly happy the way it happened, hard lesson learned. Nacaybka calooshooda kujirtay ayaa soobaxay. Wallahi I wish I was old enough to shoot and not just deliver bullets & water. Maybe the next time around:kanyeshrug:

Add how's that working out for us?
Somalia will never be in dictatorship again. That's the most important thing that has come from this civil war.
The past 20 so years we weren't able to find proper leadership but I'm optimistic for the future of Somalia. There's so much freedom's now in Somalia that many African countries can't give their people or they'll be overthrown and there's now real chance for democracy.
It's debatable, but it comes down to whether it's better to live under a dictator in peace or to go through war and 25 years of anarchy to have freedom and democracy. I'd choose the latter, since it's the best for development and progress in the long term. Also staying in power too long usually corrupt's.
Even a superpower like the US had to go through civil war to be what it is today.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

@jugjugwacwac
I dont get your agenda to try and undermine and downplay what happened with isaaqs, instead of looking at the many factors at play you're just going to pin it all down to tribalistic hatred of tuke/morgan. Please do enlighten us saxib.
War brings out the worst in people, ask any person from any qabiil and they'll tell you the atrocities committed to them but rarely hear the atrocities their clans had committed. Most folks on here were only told of the atrocities that happened to their clan and relatives.
Although Isaaq were bombed, and had many atrocities happen to them, but it was because they were the first to rebel. The main argument that SL gov't uses for independence is that atrocities were committed to them, as if other ppl and clan's didn't go through hell. You probably don't know this but there was a pool full of slaughtered Hawiye and other Somalis in Mogadishu of innocent people. You don't hear Hawiye saying atrocities were committed to them as if they were the only one's affected by the war.

xisaabiye

War brings out the worst in people, ask any person from any qabiil and they'll tell you the atrocities committed to them but rarely hear the atrocities their clans had committed. Most folks on here were only told of the atrocities that happened to their clan and relatives.
Although Isaaq were bombed, and had many atrocities happen to them, but it was because they were the first to rebel. The main argument that SL gov't uses for independence is that atrocities were committed to them, as if other ppl and clan's didn't go through hell. You probably don't know this but there was a pool full of slaughtered Hawiye and other Somalis in Mogadishu of innocent people. You don't hear Hawiye saying atrocities were committed to them as if they were the only one's affected by the war.

Nah... The government started attacking Isaaq way before the snm were formed. I refuse the narrative that you and @jugjugwacwac are trying to push. The government were specifically targeting Isaaq in the late 70s by knowingly arming clan militias Like (dabar goynta isaaqa). This arming of clan militias didn't occur anywhere in the Somali Republic, and this was shortly after the 77 war with Ethiopia. Snm was formed due to oppressions such as this, aside from the government giving all reer waqooyi jobs in the north to his refuge ogaden clansmen at a higher wage kkkkk.

I sincerely hope that as long as somalis suppress & tell bold face lies about recorded history that the current state perpetually continues :salute:

Nah... The government started attacking Isaaq way before the snm were formed. I refuse the narrative that you and @jugjugwacwac are trying to push. The government were specifically targeting Isaaq in the late 70s by knowingly arming clan militias Like (dabar goynta isaaqa). This arming of clan militias didn't occur anywhere in the Somali Republic, and this was shortly after the 77 war with Ethiopia. Snm was formed due to oppressions such as this, aside from the government giving all reer waqooyi jobs in the north to his refuge ogaden clansmen at a higher wage kkkkk.

I sincerely hope that as long as somalis suppress & tell bold face lies about recorded history that the current state perpetually continues :salute:
Saaxib chill:whoa:
Honestly speaking, I wasn't trying to hide any facts but it was out of ignorance. I don’t know much about the civil war but what I do know was that every qabiil was affected. Ok perhaps Isaaq did go through the worst of the civil war. What now, do you wish to achieve?
I understand we need reconciliation and justice and also that what happened before to never happen again.
In the end, I wish for peace and prosperity for all Somali regions. If splitting means more prosperity and peace for Somaliland then so be it but if not then it shall remain.

xisaabiye

Saaxib chill:whoa:
Honestly speaking, I wasn't trying to hide any facts but it was out of ignorance. I don’t know much about the civil war but what I do know was that every qabiil was affected. Ok perhaps Isaaq did go through the worst of the civil war. What now, do you wish to achieve?
I understand we need reconciliation and justice and also that what happened before to never happen again.
In the end, I wish for peace and prosperity for all Somali regions. If splitting means more prosperity and peace for Somaliland then so be it but if not then it shall remain.

Wasn't that report based on roughly 4000 people, at least from what I read. Far from comprehensive and arguably a baseless statistic of people to base it on imo.

No one's distracting anybody with hate, it's just realities. We gave up our sovereignty to unite and it was a shitty deal. You don't need hate to see that. As long as we remain tied together the status quo will continue, be it for another 26 years or eternity:manny:

Merchant of Mogadishu

From Pella to Pattala, then back to Babylon
Wasn't that report based on roughly 4000 people, at least from what I read. Far from comprehensive and arguably a baseless statistic of people to base it on imo.

No one's distracting anybody with hate, it's just realities. We gave up our sovereignty to unite and it was a shitty deal. You don't need hate to see that. As long as we remain tied together the status quo will continue, be it for another 26 years or eternity:manny:

Yes I agree it was a shitty deal solely because the dictator did not spread Somali resources across the nation, most of the stuff was based in Mogadishu whilst everyone else was suffering. This is a big no because it will undoubtedly create animosity between people. However, that era is done and dusted sxb. Once Somalia fixes itself up, once the south becomes prosperous again and death and destruction is not the norm of our cities, we WILL reunite.

Sxb sxb sxb, I have sympathy for your loved ones who have been killed and humiliated, I really do. AUN to the ones you've lost and may Allah ease the suffering of your family. If the perpetrators were caught today, I would have them executed.

However, this does not give you the right to call for independence. Look at the other clans who have been massacred by Siad Barre and his goons. Are they calling for independence? NO

That's because they know unity, healing and clan reconciliation is the only way forward as a people and as a nation. This division will only make things worse. Generations after generations of people will be taught to hate their brothers and sisters. Animosity between the same people shall be the norm. The blood feuds between clans will still be fresh. Do you want that? Do you really want that awful cycle of killing and hate to continue?
The problem with you unionists (more like delusionalists) is that you are uneducated about somali history. You don't know anything pre 1960. Somaliland has only been associated with somalia for 28 years (counting from 88) and officially detached itself from somalia government since 1991. That is barely 30 years both have been together under one state. The somali regions have always had their own leadership. This one state idea has failed miserably and continues to affect somali lives till this day. You truly are delusional to believe that all somalis can set aside clan politics and respectably & democratically share power. Truth is the power hungry clans are darood & hawiye. You think they're gonna let an isaaq rule the country? The .5 barely have representation in the government & it will be a loooong time before a non hawiye/darood will get to be the president of somalia. Look yourselves in the mirror and accept that you are the biggest tribalists and the crooks behind the failed state & reputation of somalia. Djibouti is doing fine by itself & are majority somali. Why is the narrative you're pushing that the international recognition of Somaliland will bring animosity amongst somalis?? The only ones who will be bitter and angry will be the ones who want to rule an extra bit of land under their clan umbrella and you know who those are. Just admit you're greedy for land and fear somaliland will cut you off economically in case of international recognition. Don't be afraid, somaliland has always been the ones to step up for other somalis, we're not you.

Xooshdheere

how do i use this
The problem with you unionists (more like delusionalists) is that you are uneducated about somali history. You don't know anything pre 1960. Somaliland has only been associated with somalia for 28 years (counting from 88) and officially detached itself from somalia government since 1991. That is barely 30 years both have been together under one state. The somali regions have always had their own leadership. This one state idea has failed miserably and continues to affect somali lives till this day. You truly are delusional to believe that all somalis can set aside clan politics and respectably & democratically share power. Truth is the power hungry clans are darood & hawiye(quote: There was Dir presidents also, I have yet to see a non Isaaq president in SL) You think they're gonna let an isaaq rule the country? The .5 barely have representation in the government & it will be a loooong time before a non hawiye/darood will get to be the president of somalia. Look yourselves in the mirror and accept that you are the biggest tribalists and the crooks behind the failed state & reputation of somalia. Djibouti is doing fine by itself & are majority somali. Why is the narrative you're pushing that the international recognition of Somaliland will bring animosity amongst somalis?? The only ones who will be bitter and angry will be the ones who want to rule an extra bit of land under their clan umbrella and you know who those are. Just admit you're greedy for land and fear somaliland will cut you off economically in case of international recignition. Don't be afraid, somaliland has always been the ones to step up for other somalis, we're not you.
How is medieval city states an argument against a united Somali country? There were city states all over the world, people don't make countries out of them.

The union, Somali Democratic Republic, was rather successful, first democratically elected president in Africa, peaceful transfer of power for 3 successive gov'ts, 2-champer Parliament, profes, constitution etc. But the president was murdered and an authoritarian power hungry dictator took over, and executed everyone questioning him. Killed Somalis in the north, innocents, robbing the treasury, and led the country to full chaos.

Somalia can only progress if you, all Somali qabils put aside this primitive qabil system and replacing it with qaranimo, and actually progress like other countries.

How is medieval city states an argument against a united Somali country? There were city states all over the world, people don't make countries out of them.

The union, Somali Democratic Republic, was rather successful, first democratically elected president in Africa, peaceful transfer of power for 3 successive gov'ts, 2-champer Parliament, profes, constitution etc. But the president was murdered and an authoritarian power hungry dictator took over, and executed everyone questioning him.

Somalia can only progress if you, all Somali qabils put aside this primitive qabil system and replacing it with qaranimo, and actually progress like other countries.
The one state idea proved somalis don't go together based off of being somali. Clan matters today like it did in the "medieval times".

Doesn't matter how the first president was when the other one did what he did AND the south still goes by clan to rule Somalia.

You can't compare other countries to somalis. We're probably the only ones who view our clans as an ethnicity when we're all the same.

You can go cry that tribalism is horrible, but somalis treasure it & it won't go away in our lifetime.

And why act like qabil has been made an issue by all somalis when it's really two or even one specific qabil that needs rehab for it?

Xooshdheere

how do i use this
The one state idea proved somalis don't go together based off of being somali. Clan matters today like it did in the "medieval times".

Doesn't matter how the first president was when the other one did what he did AND the south still goes by clan to rule Somalia.

You can't compare other countries to somalis. We're probably the only ones who view our clans as an ethnicity when we're all the same.

You can go cry that tribalism is horrible, but somalis treasure it & it won't go away in our lifetime.

And why act like qabil has been made an issue by all somalis when it's really two or even one specific qabil that needs rehab for it?
You choose the idea that Somalis can't work together and staying divided. And we are all suffering because we value qabilnimo over qaranimo.

You are right. We cannot compare us to anyone because we are the only backwards ethnic group killing each other over qabils in 2017, and believing qabils are ethnic groups.

Why would there be an animosity towards Djibouti? They tried to join the SDR twice but the French rigged the referendum and there's no secession in Djibouti.

I can understand Kurds because if their ethicitiy being different, and I can understand Sunni Iraqis because of religious reasons, but what difference does SL have with the mainland?

I support autonomous state, not secession state.

It was somalis who did:comeon:. The whitey never did anything much to be honest. It was the *ooryans of all tribes who destroyed somalia. I can assure u if somalis were not willing to kill each other and not allowing tribal difference's to make them kill one another, Somalia wouldn't be a shithole.

Don't be A sjw or blm retard who blames the white man for everything.
Somalia is a shithole because of somalis and africa is a shithole because of africans. Simple logic
Where did we get all the weapons that killed our fellow somalis? But the bottom line is that we can only blame ourselves at the end of the day.

Merchant of Mogadishu

From Pella to Pattala, then back to Babylon
The problem with you unionists (more like delusionalists) is that you are uneducated about somali history. You don't know anything pre 1960. Somaliland has only been associated with somalia for 28 years (counting from 88) and officially detached itself from somalia government since 1991. That is barely 30 years both have been together under one state. The somali regions have always had their own leadership. This one state idea has failed miserably and continues to affect somali lives till this day. You truly are delusional to believe that all somalis can set aside clan politics and respectably & democratically share power. Truth is the power hungry clans are darood & hawiye. You think they're gonna let an isaaq rule the country? The .5 barely have representation in the government & it will be a loooong time before a non hawiye/darood will get to be the president of somalia. Look yourselves in the mirror and accept that you are the biggest tribalists and the crooks behind the failed state & reputation of somalia. Djibouti is doing fine by itself & are majority somali. Why is the narrative you're pushing that the international recognition of Somaliland will bring animosity amongst somalis?? The only ones who will be bitter and angry will be the ones who want to rule an extra bit of land under their clan umbrella and you know who those are. Just admit you're greedy for land and fear somaliland will cut you off economically in case of international recognition. Don't be afraid, somaliland has always been the ones to step up for other somalis, we're not you.

So basically what your telling me is that you want colonialist borders to be reinstated. I can see why you named yourself Waxwaalan.

I would let a Madhiban rule the country let alone an Isaaq. I want a meritocratic system to replace the one we have now, which will give the chances to people who have the skills to succeed at their respective jobs, no matter what clan you are. I hate 4.5 system.

How can you say that when I'm immune from "Muh Qabiil" Syndrome, unlike you. You and others who support SL secession are the biggest tribalists that I have seen. You have been poisoned, blinded, deafened and your will to think has been taken away by villainous and corrupt politicians. I hope you get better. Economically fair better? You're only saying that because SL is supposedly doing better but they are so many variables to consider like the fact that Hargeisa hasn't been bombed yet (which is suspicious).

Brotherhood and unity will lead to happiness, you don't understand that yet, because of "Muh Qabiil" Syndrome, but once you're free, you will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts