Difference in first and second gen Somalis

What would you say is the difference of Somali people who moved across the world and the Somalis who have been raised in the diaspora?

Lostbox

「Immortal Sage」| Qabil-fluid
VIP
They second gen are better. Probably to be expected. Less gangbusters, less crime, Better behaved, more ambitious, more value educate and so on. I think they turn out much better then the first gen.

I'm talking about the teens and young adults around me. No Idea about the rest of the Somali community

Periplus

Minister of Propaganda
VIP
I think the difference in Somalis depends on the circumstances of their parent's when they came.

If you were educated or young enough to be educated, you had a stable life that your kids will benefit from. Those children will probably get a normal degree and normal job. If you were not educated, your children will be either more driven to succeed or become less successful.

Indicators like finance and crime can happen with anybody.

In terms of education and financial success , im certain 2nd gen people will be able to do far better. The only issue is the lack of identity , many peeps cant speak their own language and associate more with the gaalo lifestyle. Although , i think this is the same for any minority groups.

You're right , i assumed OP meant our parents.
First generation is the kids born and raised in the host country their parents immigrated to. Hence they’re birth is the first. Second generation would be the grandchild of the immigrant parent (so if you’re born In Canada and have a child, your child is second generation).

First generation is the kids born and raised in the host country their parents immigrated to. Hence they’re birth is the first. Second generation would be the grandchild of the immigrant parent (so if you’re born In Canada and have a child, your child is second generation).

Yeap , i dont know many 2nd gen somalis though. It seems the bulk of reer UK came around 90s and 2000s.

Isn’t first generation the ones born in the West? And second generation their children?

OP needs to define what you’re talking about.

I'm googling it now and some websites say it's the parents and others the children. Either way I'm talking about parents who lived in Somalia and came here and their children who were raised outside