Did our ancestors choose the worst land?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why did they not move to the best region in africa or europe? Why would any sane man decide to settle in the middle of the desert? Where drought and famines a problem of the past or did all our rivers dry up?. I am just trying to make sense of all of this and have not reached any logical conclusion as to why our ancestors chose to live in that difficult terrain. I would rather go all gengis khan and die fighting for better land than to settle for less. Some say we once inhabited the northern regions of africa until the bantu expansion, but i don't whole heartedly believe their claims. How did the expansion of mankind happen and how did they decide which would get the best land?

de401661b7e02146beb0bb3795d64a02.jpg

Speak for yourself. My ancestors choose good for settling in historical Banadiir region :trumpsmirk:
Lets be honest the country is poor and suffers from drought and lack of water. I would prefer a mountainous country so i can get fresh water for free, everyone complains here about london's frequent rain but at-least we don't suffer from drought here and the heavens bless us with rain all year round.

samaalewarrior

Cushitic general
Our land isn’t as bad as some make it out to be, had somalis not cut down trees (trees increase rainfall btw) and practiced agriculture instead of just pastoralism we would’ve had less arid land, my hooyo comes from a family of farmers in lower shabelle and always told me how important agriculture is and how the pastoralism lifestyle can have detrimental effects to the environment, somalis should practice agropastoralism

Last edited:
Lets be honest the country is poor and suffers from drought and lack of water. I would prefer a mountainous country so i can get fresh water for free, everyone complains here about london's frequent rain but at-least we don't suffer from drought here and the heavens bless us with rain all year round.

To keep it frank, Somali history has been awful in modern sense but in antiquity we were doing extraordinary well. Controlling spice trade routes, having multiple sultanates and empires, etc....

S.Somalia is a breadbasket of East Africa. So we have massive potential. Like I said though some Somalis already recognized it and thus settled there.

lalayariis

Bad cop
It’s one of the most strategetic locations, hence why there are so many military bases in Djibouti. We could block off the exit of the Gulf of Aden where a lot of cargo ships go through ( which is why the Somali pirates caused so much damage), and we are near the Middle East which is a hot topic for the past few decades. We are at a spot that connects the West to the East, and apart of the old Indian Ocean Trade Route. We have an abundance of fish, and there is speculation for offshore oil that is untapped. We have the world’s most Camels after Australia, and have a lot of livestock and arable land on the north-west and south. Our soil is not arid, it’s just dry and can be irritated easily in the north-east and other dry regions.

I have a hunch that our location is the reason why we are screwed, we are in a spot that is too good.:susp::damedamn::comeon:

I hate typing on a phone istg.

Last edited:
My ancestors choose sannag which it's mountainous and very rain heavy:salute:

Our land isn’t as bad as some make it out to be, had somalis not cut down trees (trees increase rainfall btw) and practiced agriculture instead of just pastoralism we would’ve had less arid land, my hooyo comes from a family of farmers in lower shabelle and always told me how important agriculture is and how the pastoralism lifestyle can have detrimental effects to the environment, somalis should practice agropastoralism
I am a huge believer in planting trees.
https://forestsnews.cifor.org/10316...rests-to-help-drought-stricken-regions?fnl=en

:ufdup:

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
Our ancestors chosed one of the most resourceful areas in the world and the most strategic coast in the world so I don't know what the heck you're talking about. We have plenty of fertile lands and we have no deserts at all. Our land is massive and we can easily turn our dry soil into fertile plains by converting our nomads into agro-pastoralism and we need to plant alot of trees and save water and that's how Somali peninsula can become 100% green by modern day irrigation and I hope that happens, inshallah.

It’s one of the most strategetic locations, hence why there are so many military bases in Djibouti. We could block off the exit of the Gulf of Aden where a lot of cargo ships go through ( which is why the Somali pirates caused so much damage), and we are near the Middle East which is a hot topic for the past few decades. We are at a spot that connects the West to the East, and apart of the old Indian Ocean Trade Route. We have an abundance of fish, and there is speculation for offshore oil that is untapped. We have the world’s most Camels after Australia, and have a lot of livestock and arable land on the north-west and south. Our soil is not arid, it’s just dry and can be irritated easily in the north-east and other dry regions.

I have a hunch that our location is the reason why we are screwed, we are in a spot that is too good.:susp::damedamn::comeon:

I hate typing on a phone istg.
We have a lot of potential to create a beautiful country since we live in the age of technology and anything is possible, as we have seen some countries import sand, others plant nice trees and many build huge structures to draw in tourists. However to achieve that we need to put this clan bull-shit aside and earn money now while we still can. Forget about oil, we still have gas and vast resources of metal such as lead, iron and silver as well as gold reserves that have been unexplored.

Our ancestors chosed one of the most resourceful areas in the world and the most strategic coast in the world so I don't know what the heck you're talking about. We have plenty of fertile lands and we have no deserts at all. Our land is massive and we can easily turn our dry soil into fertile plains by converting our nomads into agro-pastoralism and we need to plant alot of trees and save water and that's how Somali peninsula can become 100% green by modern day irrigation and I hope that happens, inshallah.
I will write a letter to somali officials in the summer when i'm not busy. Unfortunately i think they are too incompetent to listen to our suggestions, could you imagine the government telling uneducated and starving nomads to change their way of life. The government is currently to poor to do anything as even the task of planting tree seeds seems to difficult for them.

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
I will write a letter to somali officials in the summer when i'm not busy. Unfortunately i think they are too incompetent to listen to our suggestions, could you imagine the government telling uneducated and starving nomads to change their way of life. The government is currently to poor to do anything as even the task of planting tree seeds seems to difficult for them.

Well Somaliland are planning to plant 100 thousand trees every month to combat drought and deforestation. Here: https://www.somalispot.com/threads/somaliland-plants-100-thousand-trees-to-end-the-drought.41451/

Status
Not open for further replies.