Did Oromo migration change the Somali phenotype

Just curious we’re genetically closest to them but before they expanded they were native to the north western part of Kenya so how did we come to be genetically closest to them? Wouldn’t we be more closer to the afar or habash or even Amhara than them? Did we intermix with them a lot and did it change our phenotype. It probably reduced the amount of Eurasian we had which is my guess but I’m not knowledgable on the topic and curious to find out more

Attachments

• IMG_3930.jpeg
    IMG_3930.jpeg
    109.2 KB · Views: 66

Wonyluvr

“la vie en rose🥀 ~”
VIP
Just curious we’re genetically closest to them but before they expanded they were native to the north western part of Kenya so how did we come to be genetically closest to them? Wouldn’t we be more closer to the afar or habash or even Amhara than them? Did we intermix with them a lot and did it change our phenotype. It probably reduced the amount of Eurasian we had which is my guess but I’m not knowledgable on the topic and curious to find out more
Afar are geographically closer to Semitic speaking populations which is why we aren’t that closely related to them.We are more closely related to Ethiopian yahuud and Amhara than we are to Afars :mjlol:

I
Afar are geographically closer to Semitic speaking populations which is why we aren’t that closely related to them.We are more closely related to Ethiopian yahuud and Amhara than we are to Afars :mjlol:
They’re geographically close to us too on our north west. They were also under Adal so didn’t we assimilate them a bit? Idk

Wonyluvr

“la vie en rose🥀 ~”
VIP
They’re geographically close to us on our north east. They were also under Adam so didn’t we assimilate them a bit? Idk
They are pretty much surrounded by Semitic speaking groups and also are extremely close to the Arabs as well

Yami

4th Emir of the Akh Right Movement
Yes to Degodia's and NFD Ajuuran no to everyone else

They didn’t affect the phenotypes of Somaliland & the DDS regions neighbouring SL. They did affect Somalis of Fafaan & Western SL from a genetic perspective (heightened Mota compared to Central/Eastern SL & PL)

It's complicated and I too fully don't understand. But I can answer some of your questions.

Our Eurasian to sub saharan african was probably the same at 40:60 and was never affected since back migration. We remind homogeneous for centuries. So we never had the added Eurasian of 10 to 15 percent found in Ethio semetic groups as well as northern Cushitic groups such as Afar, Beja, Saho and etc. These groups have the extra Arabian in their DNA (most likely from yeman) which is between 20 to 35 percent depending on the ethinic groups. Beni Ameer and Beja can have up to 35% Arabian, Eritreans habesha and Afars 30%, Ethiopians Habasha 25%, northern oromos living close to semetic habasha can have between 15 to 20% and we somalis have on average 5%. This is probably similar to Borana and southern oromos who like us were not affected by the recent Arabian migration.

If I estimate the timeframe of this Arabian migration, I would say between 8th to 16th century. This was when the semetic habasha had the lands of south yeman in their control.

Afars and Habesha have a ton of Arabian ancestry that simply isn't there within Somalis. Borana Oromo and the other original Oromos also lack this ancestry hence why we are closer to them than Habesha/Afars.

And no, the migrations didn't impact our phenotype whatsover. If anything, they were impacted since you will find plenty of Oromos with Somali haplogroups while you will hardly find any Somalia with Oromo haplos. Furthermore, their (the ones living in Hararghe) Eurasian input was increased thanks to us. The only Somalis with any real Oromo dna are Kenyan Somalis since they have noted heightened SSA levels compared to other Somalis.

No oromo has influenced somali genome, if anything its the assimilated somalis in easter oromia that makes original bantu and omotic oromo look a little bit closer to somalis

Khaemwaset

Djiboutian 🇩🇯 | 𐒖𐒆𐒄A𐒗𐒃 🇸🇴
VIP
Afar-Saho are the closest people to Somalis 😂

CABDULWALI XASAN.

Cabdul's Status CLOSED until further notice.
They didn’t affect the phenotypes of Somaliland & the DDS regions neighbouring SL. They did affect Somalis of Fafaan & Western SL from a genetic perspective (heightened Mota compared to Central/Eastern SL & PL)
Bro is casually spreading misinformation Poor Noobs arent realzing and put 1 heart and 1 lik

Arabsiyawi

HA Activist.
5479B566-DDA8-4EE9-B078-9B90E7D44583.jpeg

British anthropologist’s observations on the Boranas/Kenyan Oromos. The last bit on southern Somalis is hilarious.
I think this perfectly answers your question.

How about central and southern Somalis and even nfd? I had a bit of mota was that because oromos in JL were assimilated🤔

I have seen ppl say that the afar samples aren’t actually afar but are agaw which are basically amharas that are Cushitic speaking. It kind of makes more sense since the afar samples are closer to amharas and other habeshas.