GENETICS Did Haplogroup J originate from the Middle East or Central Asia? Are They Afro-Asiatic or Turkic/Mongols?

People – Welcome to Socotra

Had anyone done autosomal researches on the Socotri people? They carry y-chromosome J too.

Are they genetically identical to Yemenite Jews and unmixed Mehri? Did these people represent a result of southward migration by Sumerian-related groups? Or perhaps there was a metapopulation resembling the Natufians that existed all across some parts of N.Africa and Near East/Arabian peninsula?

People – Welcome to Socotra

Had anyone done autosomal researches on the Socotri people? They carry y-chromosome J too.

Are they genetically identical to Yemenite Jews and unmixed Mehri? Did these people represent a result of southward migration by Sumerian-related groups? Or perhaps there was a metapopulation resembling the Natufians that existed all across some parts of N.Africa and Near East/Arabian peninsula?
Socotris are just Mahra people.They are pure Arabians with some outliers who have Bantu or Indian blood

@Cognitive What's up with your obsession with the Sumerians? The Socotris are Semitic Arabians who descend from South Semitic peoples who left the Levant and mixed with the local hunter-gatherers in the Arabian Peninsula hence their higher Natufian levels compared to Semitic-speaking Levantines

@Al-Ma'mun I cannot quite explain. It's just that they're different from other Mesopotamian populations (mainly in the linguistic elements). Hell, even their statues look different from that of the following ethnic groups. Plus, tbh, perhaps due to stylish renditions and other factors I cannot see their faces on modern Iraqis.
The reason I brought them up is because if Sumerians carry J (which I think they do), wouldn't they be the first J-people to cultivate a civilization? Meaning exploration of nearby regions is highly likely.
Plus some time ago Arabians (or was it just Saudis?) were said to not carry the direct Natufian component but something similar.

EDIT: What? The peninsula had other types of HGs? Maybe...just maybe, those HGs were the Dzudzuana type HGs we found in IBMs?
I used to thought middle/southern Arabia was empty before the arrival of Natufian groups.

Last edited:
E-M35/E-M78 is the original dominant haplogroup of indigenous North Africans, E-M35 in the Natufians & E-M78 in Neolithic Levantines suggests that these males were intrusive into the Middle East.

T-M70 was probably brought from the North that helped create the Neolithic Levantines who were basically Natufian + Anatolian HG admixes.Natufians themselves are a mixture between Levantine HG & North African HG males.

J1 probably arrived from the eastern part of the Middle East near modern Iran/Iraq (Zagros mountains) during the bronze age and managed to dominate the E1b1b dominant Proto-Semites who then expanded into Arabia in various migrations from the Levant and mixed with the local Hunter-Gatherers there.These J1 guys probably brought the Iranian Farmer ancestry which is widespread among all Middle Eastern groups including the Arabians (they are around 20-25% Iranian Farmer descended)

The T-M70 found in Somalia and the Middle East most likely originated in the Caucasus Mountains/Black Sea area, not in the Levant.

The T-M70 found in Somalia and the Middle East most likely originated in the Caucasus Mountains/Black Sea area, not in the Levant.
It makes sense, since haplogroup K migrated from East Asia. We have no T-208 samples from the sub continent, it would be interesting to see where they land on Yfull. It will give us an idea on how long Somsli T carriers lived in the Hijaz or whether they just passed through it getting to the Horn.

If we are going to that far back might as well also say everybody comes from Africa since scientific Adam was from Africa.I clearly said in my quote it was brought from the North (of the Levant) and mixed with actual Levantines.It seems quite clear that original AA speakers and the dominant lineage of the Levant was E-M35 lineages

Humans have lived in west and East Africa for a very long time over 200 thousands years. Our ancestors must have looked like Niger Congo speakers.as scientific Adam was from the Cameroon west Africa region.

@Garaad Hirabu
How many generations are we going back? First type of Homo sapiens who diverge from Ergaster-related groups would sort of look like that. I think it has a lot to do with environmental selection as the first archaic H.sapiens would have originated in relatively hot and humid areas.

Perhaps in some way Niger-Congo speaking groups preserve that old phenotype via living in even more humid areas & obtaining additional admixture from archaic Homonids.

But after living in N.Africa and desert-like (Red Sea coast…etc) areas for generations, they would be morphologically diverge from their very first ancestors.
Such is the case for Iberomaurusian, and Kiffians (whoever these mysterious Mali people were).

Last edited:

Trending