Did Cushitics migrate down via Nile or Red Sea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arabia was originally settled by two distinct races, an earlier Cushite Ethiopian race and a later Semitic Arabian. 'The Cushites were the original Arabians and dwelt there before Abraham came to Canaan. Ancient literature assigns their first settlement to the extreme southwestern point of the peninsula. From thence they spread northward and eastward over Yemen, Hadramaut and Oman. A proof that they were Hamites lay in the name Himyar or dusky, given to the ruling race. The Himyaritic language, now lost, but some of which is preserved, is African in origin and character. Its grammar is identical with the Abyssinian. The Encyclopedia Britannica in its article on Arabia says, "The institutions of Yemen bear a close resemblance to African types. The inhabitants of Yemen, Hadramaut,

pursuits. All of these traits distinguish them from the Semitic race. They have much more to do with the African coast than the Asiatic. Marriage with extreme facility exists between all classes of southern Arabia and the African races. There is the absence of any caste feeling between these Arabs and the still darker natives of Africa. All of this points to a common origin. Keane thinks that these people of southwestern Arabia, at a remote period found their way across the narrow strait of Bab-el-Mandeb and secured a permanent foothold on the Nubian steppes. These Himyaritic Arabians call themselves Æthiopians still in diplomatic and elevated circles.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/afr/we/we11.htm

These Arabs trace their descent from Heber, from whom the line of Abraham descended. Abraham's son Joktan became the first king of the country. According to Herodotus their original home lay between Colchis and the Medes. They lived in Arabia without mingling until Ishmael, the son of Hagar settled among them. Some of these Ishmaelites applied themselves to traffic and husbandry; for Hagar was Hamitic. It was from this class in later days arose the Mohammedan conquest. The tribe of Koreysh claimed scimitar.

https://books.google.com/books?id=h...HWiLCO8Q6AEIQjAE#v=onepage&q=cushites&f=false

None of the ancient empires were able to subjugate Arabia. Bravely for thousands of years she maintained her freedom. When the second Adite empire was overthrown, masses of the Sabaeans emigrated to Abyssinia. Ghez is a living relic of the ancient speech of Yemen. These Cushites clung long to their faith and peculiar institutions. Alexander the Great, hearing of her rich treasures, desired to pit his great strength against her, but death interrupted his plans. Ælius Gallus, Roman prefect of Egypt, undertook an expedition against Yemen, with an army of ten thousand infantry and fifteen hundred horsemen. He crossed the Red Sea but his soldiers, disorganized by the intense beat, were incapable of laying siege to Mareb. The old Cushites of Yemen stoutly maintained their independence, when other dominions were forced to yield to Rome. After me Mohammedan conquests, which exhausted the Arabians, they were easy prey for the Turks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_studies_on_Arabs

E1b1b is high in Arabs in North African countries where it was already high, but it is low in all traditionally Arab countries. Despite the proximity, Qatar is 5.6% and Yemen is only 12.9%.

All modern south Arabian languages are considered Semitic. They have the "archaic" Semitic features. The Cushitic substrate business is the conjecture of two authors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_South_Arabian_languages

"The Modern South Arabian languages[2][3] (Eastern South Semitic or Eastern South Arabian) are spoken mainly by small populations inhabiting the Arabian Peninsula, in Yemen and Oman. Together with the modern Ethiopian Semitic languages, they form the South Semitic sub-branch of the Afroasiatic family's Semitic branch.

Classification[edit]
In his glottochronology-based classification, Alexander Militarev presents the Modern South Arabian languages as a South Semitic branch opposed to a North Semitic branch that includes all the other Semitic languages.[4][5] They are no longer considered to be descendants of the Old South Arabian language, as was once thought, but instead "nephews".

Grammar[edit]
Modern South Arabian languages are known for their apparent archaic Semitic features, especially in their system of phonology. For example, they preserve the lateral fricatives of Proto-Semitic.

Additionally, Militarev identified a Cushitic substratum in Modern South Arabian, which he proposes is evidence that Cushitic speakers originally inhabited the Arabian Peninsula alongside Semitic speakers (Militarev 1984, 18-19; cf. also Belova 2003). According to Václav Blažek, this suggests that Semitic peoples assimilated their original Cushitic neighbours to the south who did not later emigrate to the Horn of Africa. He argues that the Levant would thus have been the Proto-Afro-Asiatic Urheimat, from where the various branches of the Afro-Asiatic family subsequently dispersed. To further support this, Blažek cites analysis of rock art in Central Arabia by Anati (1968, 180-84), which notes a connection between the shield-carrying "oval-headed" people depicted on the cave paintings and the Arabian Cushites from the Old Testament, who were similarly described as carrying specific shields.[6]

Languages[edit]
  • Mehri: the largest Modern South Arabian language, with over 165,000 speakers. Most Mehri speakers, around 76,000, live in Oman, but around 50,000 live in Yemen, and around 40,000 speakers live as guest workers in Kuwait and Saudi Arabia. Mehri people are referred to as Mahra.
  • Soqotri: another relatively numerous example, with speakers on the island of Socotra isolated from the pressures of Arabic on the Yemeni mainland. In 2015, there were around 70,000 speakers.
  • Shehri: frequently called Jibbali, "of the Mountains", with an estimated 25,000 speakers; it is best known as the language of the rebels during the Dhofar Rebellion in Oman's Dhofar Governorate along the border with Yemen in the 1960s and 1970s.
  • Bathari: Under 100 speakers in Oman. Located on the southeast coast facing the Khuriya Muriya Islands. Very similar to Mehri, and some tribespeople speak Mehri instead of Bathari.
  • Harsusi: 600 speakers in the Jiddat al-Harasis of Oman.
  • Hobyót: 100 speakers est., in Oman and Yemen."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_studies_on_Arabs

E1b1b is high in Arabs in North African countries where it was already high, but it is low in all traditionally Arab countries. Despite the proximity, Qatar is 5.6% and Yemen is only 12.9%.

All modern south Arabian languages are considered Semitic. They have the "archaic" Semitic features. The Cushitic substrate business is the conjecture of two authors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_South_Arabian_languages

"The Modern South Arabian languages[2][3] (Eastern South Semitic or Eastern South Arabian) are spoken mainly by small populations inhabiting the Arabian Peninsula, in Yemen and Oman. Together with the modern Ethiopian Semitic languages, they form the South Semitic sub-branch of the Afroasiatic family's Semitic branch.

Classification[edit]
In his glottochronology-based classification, Alexander Militarev presents the Modern South Arabian languages as a South Semitic branch opposed to a North Semitic branch that includes all the other Semitic languages.[4][5] They are no longer considered to be descendants of the Old South Arabian language, as was once thought, but instead "nephews".

Grammar[edit]
Modern South Arabian languages are known for their apparent archaic Semitic features, especially in their system of phonology. For example, they preserve the lateral fricatives of Proto-Semitic.

Additionally, Militarev identified a Cushitic substratum in Modern South Arabian, which he proposes is evidence that Cushitic speakers originally inhabited the Arabian Peninsula alongside Semitic speakers (Militarev 1984, 18-19; cf. also Belova 2003). According to Václav Blažek, this suggests that Semitic peoples assimilated their original Cushitic neighbours to the south who did not later emigrate to the Horn of Africa. He argues that the Levant would thus have been the Proto-Afro-Asiatic Urheimat, from where the various branches of the Afro-Asiatic family subsequently dispersed. To further support this, Blažek cites analysis of rock art in Central Arabia by Anati (1968, 180-84), which notes a connection between the shield-carrying "oval-headed" people depicted on the cave paintings and the Arabian Cushites from the Old Testament, who were similarly described as carrying specific shields.[6]

Languages[edit]
  • Mehri: the largest Modern South Arabian language, with over 165,000 speakers. Most Mehri speakers, around 76,000, live in Oman, but around 50,000 live in Yemen, and around 40,000 speakers live as guest workers in Kuwait and Saudi Arabia. Mehri people are referred to as Mahra.
  • Soqotri: another relatively numerous example, with speakers on the island of Socotra isolated from the pressures of Arabic on the Yemeni mainland. In 2015, there were around 70,000 speakers.
  • Shehri: frequently called Jibbali, "of the Mountains", with an estimated 25,000 speakers; it is best known as the language of the rebels during the Dhofar Rebellion in Oman's Dhofar Governorate along the border with Yemen in the 1960s and 1970s.
  • Bathari: Under 100 speakers in Oman. Located on the southeast coast facing the Khuriya Muriya Islands. Very similar to Mehri, and some tribespeople speak Mehri instead of Bathari.
  • Harsusi: 600 speakers in the Jiddat al-Harasis of Oman.
  • Hobyót: 100 speakers est., in Oman and Yemen."

i mean, you could have just agreed to make it simple, cuz what i what i was saying was irrefutable facts

i mean, you could have just agreed to make it simple, cuz what i what i was saying was irrefutable facts

:siilaanyosmile:

Your reference: Pre-historic Nations, or, inquiries concerning some of the great peoples and civilizations of antiquity and their probable relation to a still older civilization of the Ethiopians or Cushites of Arabia. It's by John D. Baldwin AM which I assume is Master of Arts, and it was written in 1874. Nuff said?

The first one is a folklore and mythology site with religion and esoterica thrown in. I really do prefer to see academic papers if you are trying to prove a point. Social camaraderie is another matter altogether.

Last edited:

Your reference: Pre-historic Nations, or, inquiries concerning some of the great peoples and civilizations of antiquity and their probable relation to a still older civilization of the Ethiopians or Cushites of Arabia. It's by John D. Baldwin AM which I assume is Master of Arts, and it was written in 1874. Nuff said?

The first one is a folklore and mythology site with religion and esoterica thrown in. I really do prefer to see academic papers if you are trying to prove a point. Social camaraderie is another matter altogether.

umm you know there are many books, right? also, tell me, whats wrong with the esoteric site? isnt Islam also esoteric? if you say Islam isn't esoteric then i will gladly educate you, unlike you, i study anthropology, and unlike you, i know what Islam really is, I dont just copy and paste wiki. i also saw many errors and false info you gave on this site( I'm new on here and i already can see you have no real knowledge in history or anthropology). You are a denialist and very ignorant. please dont ever @ me again.

i saw how @Factz corrected you in the history of Somalia, apparently, you dont even know the history of your own country like that.

Last edited:

apparently what Herodotus said must be also wrong, since i know you have know knowledge in history and dont know who Herodotus is, i will tell you, i will copy and paste for you ;)

Herodotus (/hɪˈrɒdətəs/; Ancient Greek: Ἡρόδοτος, Hêródotos, Attic Greek pronunciation: [hɛː.ró.do.tos]) was a Greekhistorian who was born in Halicarnassus in the Persian Empire (modern-day Bodrum, Turkey) and lived in the fifth century BC (c. 484–c. 425 BC), a contemporary of Thucydides, Socrates, and Euripides. He is often referred to as "The Father of History", a title first conferred by Cicero;[1] he was the first historian known to have broken from Homeric tradition to treat historical subjects as a method of investigation—specifically, by collecting his materials systematically and critically, and then arranging them into a historiographic narrative.[2]

The Histories is the only work which he is known to have produced, a record of his "inquiry" (ἱστορία historía) on the origins of the Greco-Persian Wars; it primarily deals with the lives of Croesus, Cyrus, Cambyses, Smerdis, Darius, and Xerxes and the battles of Marathon, Thermopylae, Artemisium, Salamis, Plataea, and Mycale; however, its many cultural, ethnographical, geographical, historiographical, and other digressions form a defining and essential part of the Histories and contain a wealth of information. Some of his stories are fanciful and others inaccurate, yet he states that he is reporting only what he was told; a sizable portion of the information he provided was later confirmed by historians and archaeologists.

you are an ignorant fool, i bet you must also think the prophet(PBUH) created islam

since you deny the "esoteric site" here is something you would read.

Origin and Identity of the Arabs: http://islamicapologetics1.blogspot.com/2013/11/arabia-under-name-of-kush-and-its.html

since you deny the "esoteric site" here is something you would read.

Origin and Identity of the Arabs: http://islamicapologetics1.blogspot.com/2013/11/arabia-under-name-of-kush-and-its.html

That's better! Now check your link:

"3) Arabia:
The Arabian peninsula is undoubtedly the Arabs' homeland, and the peoples that inhabited it in ancient times are to be regarded as the ancestors of the modern Arabs. Now, the query consists in establishing how much Semitic these peoples were and up to what amount the Ishmaelites have contributed to the formation of the Arab identity.
In the most ancient records the whole Arabia was commonly designed under the generic name of "Kush", which was extended throughout the entire region comprised between Southern Mesopotamia in the north and the White Nile Basin in the south, that is, including both sides of the Red Sea and the Gulf of Aden. Subsequently, there has been a clear distinction between Northern and Southern Arabia since early times, distinction that endured for centuries. The Arabs are the result of the progressive fusion of both entities developed over the original Kushite background.
·Southern Arabian peoples:
Seven Kushite peoples: Seba, Havilah, Sabtah, Ra'mah, Sabtekha, Sheba and Dedan.
Twelve Semitic tribes (Yoqtanites): Almodad, Shelef, Hatzarmawt, Yerah, Hadoram, Uzal, Diqlah, Obal, Abima'el, Shaba, Hawilah and Yobab.
·Northern Arabian peoples:
Early Kushite population: Kûsh, Mušuri, Hawilah, Makkan.
Eight Semitic tribes (Midyanites/Lihyanites): Zimran, Yoqshan, Medan, Midyan, Yishbaq, Shuwah, Sheba and Dedan.
Twelve Ishmaelite tribes: Nebayot, Qedar, Adbe'el, Mibsam, Mishma, Dumah, Massa, Hadar, Teyma, Yetur, Nafish and Qedmah.
The characteristics of these peoples are exposed under the next title.The Arabian Kush and the Ishmaelite Myth
Even though the name Kush is usually associated with Ethiopia because of the Greek translation of that name, Kushite peoples were in early times the inhabitants of the whole Arabia, Southern Mesopotamia, Elam and a branch of them reached India as well. Indeed, in ancient records the termKush may have different meanings and often it can be understood only by the context, and it is possible to distinguish at least four different lands which in some periods were known as "Kush": Sumer, the Horn of Africa, India and Arabia. The same happens with the term Havilah, that was a Kushite tribe -they should not be mistaken for the Semitic Havilah, that is identified with ...."
-------------------------------------------------------------------

It goes significantly on, but you get the flavor. "Kush" then included all of Arabia and as far south as the White Nile Basin. The division of the "Kushes" came later. The issue for today is that the most typical Cushitic markers are rarely found in traditionally Arab countries and have been shown to have arrived later..

https://genome.cshlp.org/content/early/2016/01/11/gr.191478.115.full.pdf

"Indigenous Arabs are descendants of the earliest split from ancient Eurasian populations". Nearly all the Bedouins are J1.

We spawned out of thin air. We've been living here since the dawn of time.

"3) Arabia:
The Arabian peninsula is undoubtedly the Arabs' homeland, and the peoples that inhabited it in ancient times are to be regarded as the ancestors of the modern Arabs. Now, the query consists in establishing how much Semitic these peoples were and up to what amount the Ishmaelites have contributed to the formation of the Arab identity.
In the most ancient records the whole Arabia was commonly designed under the generic name of "Kush", which was extended throughout the entire region comprised between Southern Mesopotamia in the north and the White Nile Basin in the south, that is, including both sides of the Red Sea and the Gulf of Aden. Subsequently, there has been a clear distinction between Northern and Southern Arabia since early times, distinction that endured for centuries. The Arabs are the result of the progressive fusion of both entities developed over the original Kushite background.
Seven Kushite peoples: Seba, Havilah, Sabtah, Ra'mah, Sabtekha, Sheba and Dedan.
Twelve Semitic tribes (Yoqtanites): Almodad, Shelef, Hatzarmawt, Yerah, Hadoram, Uzal, Diqlah, Obal, Abima'el, Shaba, Hawilah and Yobab.
Eight Semitic tribes (Midyanites/Lihyanites): Zimran, Yoqshan, Medan, Midyan, Yishbaq, Shuwah, Sheba and Dedan.
Twelve Ishmaelite tribes: Nebayot, Qedar, Adbe'el, Mibsam, Mishma, Dumah, Massa, Hadar, Teyma, Yetur, Nafish and Qedmah.
The characteristics of these peoples are exposed under the next title.The Arabian Kush and the Ishmaelite Myth
Even though the name Kush is usually associated with Ethiopia because of the Greek translation of that name, Kushite peoples were in early times the inhabitants of the whole Arabia, Southern Mesopotamia, Elam and a branch of them reached India as well. Indeed, in ancient records the termKush may have different meanings and often it can be understood only by the context, and it is possible to distinguish at least four different lands which in some periods were known as "Kush": Sumer, the Horn of Africa, India and Arabia. The same happens with the term Havilah, that was a Kushite tribe -they should not be mistaken for the Semitic Havilah, that is identified with ...."

It goes significantly on, but you get the flavor. "Kush" then included all of Arabia and as far south as the White Nile Basin. The division of the "Kushes" came later. The issue for today is that the most typical Cushitic markers are rarely found in traditionally Arab countries and have been shown to have arrived later..

"Indigenous Arabs are descendants of the earliest split from ancient Eurasian populations". Nearly all the Bedouins are J1.

lol let me ask you this simple question, what does arab means?

"3) Arabia:

i will tell you this again, j1 does not = Semitic in origin.

The issue for today is that the most typical Cushitic markers are rarely found in traditionally Arab countries and have been shown to have arrived later..

ok, tell me this. if you believe arabs are j1 in "origin", then why is there more j1 lineagesYemenemen?

i will tell you this again, j1 does not = Semitic in origin.

The issue for today is that the most typical Cushitic markers are rarely found in traditionally Arab countries and have been shown to have arrived later..

ok, tell me this. if you believe arabs are j1 in "origin", then why is there more j1 lineagesYemenemen?

J1 (Y-DNA)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigationJump to search

Haplogroup J1 (Y-DNA) in world
Haplogroup J1, more fully Y DNA haplogroup J-M267, is a Y chromosome haplogroup found in the Middle East. This means it represents a group of descendants from a single common ancestor along the father's line. It carries a mutation on the Y chromosome known as M267. This type of mutation is called a SNP, or a single nucleotide polymorphism, which is a change in the chemicals at one position in a gene's DNA. Y chromosomes are passed down from father to son without changing, so an SNP like this shows common ancestry.[1]

The origin of this mutation was between 4,000 and 24,000 years ago.[1]

This mutation followed a previous mutation, which created the haplogroup known as haplogroup J-P209 or simply haplogroup J, and so this makes this Y chromosome the "child" of the older version of the Y chromosome. Haplogroup J arose from a mutation which occurred about 31,700 years ago in Southwest Asia.[2]

Semitic peoples[change | change source]
The original Semitic people are estimated to be:

References[change | change source]
  1. Jump up to:1.0 1.1 Di Giacomo F. et al 2004. Y chromosomal haplogroup J as a signature of the post-neolithic colonization of Europe. Human Genetics 115 (5): 357–371. [1]
  2. Jump up↑ Y-DNA haplogroup J [2]
Categories:
-------------------------------------------------------

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Arab

Definition of Arab
: a member of an Arabic-speaking people: a member of the Semitic people of the Arabian Peninsula
2: arabian horse

Arab
adjective
See Arab defined for English-language learners

See Arab defined for kids

Origin and Etymology of arab

Middle English, from Latin Arabus, Arabs, from Greek Arab-, Araps, of Semitic origin; akin to Akkadian Arabu, Aribi desert nomads, Arabic A'rāb Bedouins

Semites
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Semitic people)

Jump to navigationJump to search

Map showing the distribution of Semitic languages
The Semites are a group of people that live in the Middle East, North Africa, and the Horn of Africa. They include Jews, Arabs, and other ethnic groups.

We only know about their origin from the history of the semitic languages. The earliest proved history of any Semitic people is from 30th century BC Mesopotamia. The East Semitic Akkadian-speaking peoples of the Kish civilization,[1][2] entered the region which had been dominated by the non-Semitic Sumerians.

Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
  1. Jump up↑ Lucy Wyatt. Approaching chaos: could an ancient archetype save 21st century ivilization?. p. 120.
  2. Jump up↑ Donald P. Hansen, Erica Ehrenberg. Leaving no stones unturned: essays on the ancient Near East and Egypt in honor of Donald P. Hansen. p. 133.

Last edited:
pre-Islam ancient middle east was Cushitic, we see it today in the ancient architects built it Yemen and Arabia. the Ishmaelites are Semitic and Hamitic. Abraham's wife couldn't conceive a child so Abraham had kids with Egyptian women(Hagar). In ancient yemen, women would rule, cuz it was a Cushitic kingdom, it was a Cushitic culture to let women rule(an example is the many queens in Ethiopia), the concept of letting women rule goes back to the SEMBRITES of ancient Ethiopia. In Egypt, there was the ROYAL SON and in Ethiopia it was female. Son of Kish(kush) was the nimrod. the ancient Babylonians spoke of Ethiopia many times in their writings, that anthropologists believe that they could actually be from there. Ancient south Yemen was SEBA(lion). They worshipped the 3 headed lion god. The 3 headed lion worship started in meroe, the people of meroe are said to be also the Sabaeans. Lions are still used as symbolic in Ethiopia today.

Interesting!

I wonder if the Cushitic languages could be used to decipher the ancient Babylonian language (Sumerian, I believe)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending