Details about the lives of Somali women in 1870-1890

@Afrique
1587334607883.png

This part is talking about the biblical story of David. The book translates a lot of the actual Bible, the excerpt above states;

"David the king of Judah sent a man called Joab and servants and the whole tribe of Israel to (fight?) the tribe of the Ammonites. They now struck the tribe of Amon and occupied the place of Rabba; David stayed in Jerusalem"

I think this guy is a missionary and wanted Somalis to convert to Christianity.

I doubt the actual release date of the book as there were no Latin Somali books written before the 20th century, as the Latin script didn't exist and the fact I can understand it is dubious, the rest of the country used Borama, Wadaad or Osmanya scripts instead.

Last edited:
Kinda wish this was the Somali script, it's much cleaner and less clustered than the one we have now.

The first story sounds a lot like modern-day Somali men and women.

Removed

Gif-King
VIP
Apparently this is a common threat Somali mother’s would use on their unruly daughters. I remember someone made a thread about this.
No only ciyaal suuq mothers would say that.
Its not just girls they do that too :ivers:

Very very old school from what I know however haven’t heard of this in ages thank god I escaped that all the boys used to speak in horror from their eyeeyos.:patrice:

you can't tell the difference between this script and the official somali script?
Obviously I can, but I can also make out what this script is saying. I'm just curious at to what this script is called.

Our current script is heavily similar to this one, I find it bizarre that this existed without anyone knowing what it was.

Admin

Community Manager
Staff Member
Administrator
Obviously I can, but I can also make out what this script is saying. I'm just curious at to what this script is called.

you can make out what the text says because it is written using the latin alphabet just like english and somali are. i don't think it has an official name but i have seen a few documents from the same time period that are written in a similar manner.

Hybrid()

Death Awaits You
I'd take historical books about somalis written by foreigners with a grain of salt. Your more likely to get a good description about Somali history from somali oral literature and gabey.

CaliTedesse

I ❤️ Islam & Aabo Kush. Anti-BBB Anti-Inbred
VIP
These guys are really something else just because a Somali script was adopted in 1970 does not mean transliteration was not used for Somali words by travelers etc. Damn some of y'al nikkas walle.

Shire Jama Ahmed, who got the credit, had a lot of shoulders to stand on. B. W. Andrzejewski (Goosh) and Musa Haji Ismail Galal also contributed. Shire added X and C and got the credit for the whole thing, possibly not just because he was Marexaan.

Lots of stuff was published in one or another Latin scripts before the 1970s. The script Shire, Maxamoud Jama Abdullahi Sipher, and Hersi Magan Isse used in my PC group's training materials in 1966 used H with a forward slash through it for X and ' for C.

Adaawe

Xoog iyo Xiniyo #NGM enforcer
Shire Jama Ahmed, who got the credit, had a lot of shoulders to stand on. B. W. Andrzejewski (Goosh) and Musa Haji Ismail Galal also contributed. Shire added X and C and got the credit for the whole thing, possibly not just because he was Marexaan.

Lots of stuff was published in one or another Latin scripts before the 1970s. The script Shire, Maxamoud Jama Abdullahi Sipher, and Hersi Magan Isse used in my PC group's training materials in 1966 used H with a forward slash through it for X and ' for C.

Look at this revisionist old cadaan. Tryna revise history. This was in 1967. Was Siad Barre in power then? You've been checked numerous times on your revisionist tendencies.

This is info about Cali Kaar in Shire Jaamac Axmed's literary magazine Iftiinka Aqoonta.

From the edition published January 25, 1967 (side note; the 1972 language commission literally didn't change anything in Shire Jama's script when they chose it as the official script...this magazine was published in 1967 and it is carbon copy of our script today)

:mjpls:

Look at this revisionist old cadaan. Tryna revise history. This was in 1967. Was Siad Barre in power then? You've been checked numerous times on your revisionist tendencies.

This is info about Cali Kaar in Shire Jaamac Axmed's literary magazine Iftiinka Aqoonta.

From the edition published January 25, 1967 (side note; the 1972 language commission literally didn't change anything in Shire Jama's script when they chose it as the official script...this magazine was published in 1967 and it is carbon copy of our script today)

Old man. You have no business speaking on Somali clans either. That's not your place nor do you have the agency to speak on it. That's none of your business.

:mjpls:

There was a lot of learning, a lot of collaboration, going on the Spring of 1966. Unlike you, I was actually there, and my guess is that by 1967 Shire's ideas had coalesced.
I know for sure what was used in my training class and that other scripts were also used before Shire's became standard.

I have always felt the credit for the Latin script should have been shared. It was not developed in a vacuum and it wasn't just suddenly there. It was just a last version that was finally adopted by fiat.

I notice that Wiki has already made changes where Shire alone used to be named:

"The Somali Latin script, or Somali Latin alphabet, was developed by a number of leading scholars of Somali, including Musa Haji Ismail Galal, B. W. Andrzejewski and Shire Jama Ahmed specifically for transcribing the Somali language.. ... The committee recommended the use of a modified Latin script in 1962."

Somali alphabets - Wikipedia

Adaawe

Xoog iyo Xiniyo #NGM enforcer
There was a lot of learning, a lot of collaboration, going on the Spring of 1966. Unlike you, I was actually there, and my guess is that by 1967 Shire's ideas had coalesced.
I know for sure what was used in my training class and that other scripts were also used before Shire's became standard.

I have always felt the credit for the Latin script should have been shared. It was not developed in a vacuum and it wasn't just suddenly there. It was just a last version that was finally adopted by fiat.

I notice that Wiki has already made changes where Shire alone used to be named:

"The Somali Latin script, or Somali Latin alphabet, was developed by a number of leading scholars of Somali, including Musa Haji Ismail Galal, B. W. Andrzejewski and Shire Jama Ahmed specifically for transcribing the Somali language.. ... The committee recommended the use of a modified Latin script in 1962."
Somali alphabets - Wikipedia

Wiki isn't reliable. And shared by who? Shire Jama is the sole creator. Wiki isn't reliable nor used for academic standards for a reason. I can say anything on there with a shoddy source. Secondly, you have clear bias that was exposed in somnet numerous times. Voltage debunked this years ago. Shire Jama is the sole creator. That's facts. Your bias towards Magan (AUN) is clearly known.

:russ:

Trending