Debating if Islam is tied to Somali ethnicity

Is Islam and the Somali ethnicity tied to one another?

• Is Islam and the Somali ethnicity tied to one another

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • Yes

Votes: 29 40.8%
  • No

Votes: 33 46.5%

• Total voters
They genuinely believe that once Arabs introduced Islam to us, suddenly all the unruly, stubborn pastoralists in the Horn decided to hold a meeting in Zeila and collectively decided to all convert to Islam and willingly give up their previous beliefs and practices, thus creating the Somali ethnic group!
:heh:
Like the 1991 council in Burco that declared the formation of Somaliland :dead:

The Afar idiot just confused Warday for Boni, Boni for Rendille and Rendiile for Somali.

Did the TpLF destroy all of your schools fangtooth? Go back to walking around naked for National Geographic

They genuinely believe that once Arabs introduced Islam to us, suddenly all the unruly, stubborn pastoralists in the Horn decided to hold a meeting in Zeila and collectively decided to all convert to Islam and willingly give up their previous beliefs and practices, thus creating the Somali ethnic group!
:heh:

Where were Jews before Mount Senai? Or the French or Germans before the treaty of Verdun? Somali ethnogenosis is tied to conversion to Islam. You may hate it, but an ethnicity isn’t about blood but about common recognition, somaliness is tied to Islam so much that little children say “maa gaal ba misaa waa somaali”?

The Afar idiot just confused Warday for Boni, Boni for Rendille and Rendiile for Somali.

Did the TpLF destroy all of your schools fangtooth?
How many times do I have to repeat myself i didnt confuse anyone for Warday Oromos or those Boni yaryar's. Wallahi you somalis have some hatred of your own history denying the past like this :russ:

Liban89

Maqal herder | Burco boodhweyn.
They are delusional, our history before Islam is literally encoded in our language. Somalis were polytheists before the introduction of Islam, they used to believe along with many East African and Cushitic people in Waaq religion. As a kid I used to hear other kids swearing in wallaahi bilaahi Tiniixi Tincaaro and other weird names which I later learned to be gods of waaq religion. Ayaanle is like an angel in Waaq mythology, Weger was a sculpture used to protect against evil things and also is related to fertility, somali moms to this day carry it and put it near their new borns to protect against evil. The Somali person say Weger whenever he encounters in unexpected situation, still reaching for that protection from evil tradition of the past.

Professor Ahmed Ibrahim Awale wrote an informative book called Dirkii Sacmaallada which is an awesome book on ancient Somalis, he also showcases in it many artifacts he unearthed near Hargeisa.

al-Mu'tamid المعتمد

عِشْ مَا شِئْتَ فَإِنَّكَ مَيِّتٌ
They are delusional, our history before Islam is literally encoded in our language. Somalis were polytheists before the introduction of Islam, they used to believe along with many East African and Cushitic people in Waaq religion. As a kid I used to hear other kids swearing in wallaahi bilaahi Tiniixi Tincaaro and other weird names which I later learned to be gods of waaq religion. Ayaanle is like an angel in Waaq mythology, Weger was a sculpture used to protect against evil things and also is related to fertility, somali moms to this day carry it and put it near their new borns to protect against evil. The Somali person say Weger whenever he encounters in unexpected situation, still reaching for that protection from evil tradition of the past.

Professor Ahmed Ibrahim Awale wrote an informative book called Dirkii Sacmaallada which is an awesome book on ancient Somalis, he also showcases in it many artifacts he unearthed near Hargeisa.
Certainly you ˹disbelievers˺ and whatever you worship instead of Allah will be the fuel of Hell. You are ˹all˺ bound to enter it.
21:98

There was another imtresting name for God I used to hear be thrown around in some songs & traditional dances in the north called hoyaale? Here's an example of what I'm talking about from ciyaalka saylici a dance performed by samaroon. Couldn't find much about hoyaale in specific online besides a thread on Somalia Online from 2009. I think it's an old somali name for Allah swt like Eebe is in modern Af Soomaali.

There was another imtresting name for God I used to hear be thrown around in some songs & traditional dances in the north called hoyaale? Here's an example of what I'm talking about from ciyaalka saylici a dance performed by samaroon. Couldn't find much about hoyaale in specific online besides a thread on Somalia Online from 2009. I think it's an old somali name for Allah swt like Eebe is in modern Af Soomaali.

hooyale means “all of you”. I will make a thread about Afaris showing that they are from Madagascar if you don’t stop lying about somalis

Garaad diinle

 
I really cannot believe what i'm seeing. I'm i reading what i'm reading? Polytheism? At last the neo paganism movement have reached us through somali gaals. They appear to be calling on to celebrate a speculated pagan past which we have no knowledge of.

It's only natural that they would invoke a pagan past since they're not muslim themselves, i wont blame them. Where else would they lean on if they're gaals? We have more than a thousand year history with islam and nothing concert pertaining to paganism.

The fusion between islam and somalinimo and how they're used interchangeable would obviously irritated them for sure but now they're dragging other muslims into the mix. May allah protect us from them.

Last edited:

Liban89

I really cannot believe what i'm seeing. I'm i reading what i'm reading? Polytheism? At last the neo paganism movement have reached us through somali gaals. They appear to be calling on to celebrate a speculated pagan past which we have no knowledge of.

It's only natural that they would invoke a pagan past since they're not muslim themselves, i wont blame them. Where else would they lean on if they're gaals? We have more than a thousand year history with islam and nothing concert pertaining to paganism.

The fusion between islam and somalinimo and how they're used interchangeable would obviously irritated them for sure but now they're dragging other muslims into the mix. May allah protect us from them.
This is the kind of distorted history you blindly follow when you don't research enough, waar i am talking from personal experience, we used to swear in combination with wallaahi bilaahi the names Tiniixi Tincaaro when we were kids. Weger wooden idol is used to this day in Somalia.

Are you turning a blind eye to the irrefutable evidence encoded in Somalia language when it comes to history before Islam?

PRE-ISLAMIC TRACES OF WAAQLE IN SOMALI AND OROMO RELIGION
Screenshot_20230127-011540_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230127-011559_Chrome.jpg

Garaad diinle

 
This is the kind of distorted history you blindly follow when you don't research enough, waar i am talking from personal experience, we used to swear in combination with wallaahi bilaahi the names Tiniixi Tincaaro when we were kids. Weger wooden idol is used to this day in Somalia.

Are you turning a blind eye to the irrefutable evidence encoded in Somalia language when it comes to history before Islam?

PRE-ISLAMIC TRACES OF WAAQLE IN SOMALI AND OROMO RELIGION
Look my friend imaging for a sec discussing question about fiqh with a gaal, what nonsensical suggestion wouldn't you say? Discussing what somalinimo is with a gaal i would argue is equally nonsensical. You'll always lean on a mythical pagan past not recognized by the bulk of somalis yet you call yourself a somali. Meanwhile i would lean on islam a religion embraced by the majority of somalis and has been part of our culture for many centuries.

Whatever so called pagan reference we have is nothing but speculative at best since there is no writing source on the subject nor were there pagan somalis to study. You as a gaal and unlike an actual somali might feel the need to hang on such stuff and perhaps accept whatever conclusion there is on the pagan past or even maybe develop your own understanding on this fogy pagan identity to cope with your situation.

Liban89

Look my friend imaging for a sec discussing question about fiqh with a gaal, what nonsensical suggestion wouldn't you say? Discussing what somalinimo is with a gaal i would argue is equally nonsensical. You'll always lean on a mythical pagan past not recognized by the bulk of somalis yet you call yourself a somali. Meanwhile i would lean on islam a religion embraced by the majority of somalis and has been part of our culture for many centuries.

Whatever so called pagan reference we have is nothing but speculative at best since there is no writing source on the subject nor were there pagan somalis to study. You as a gaal and unlike an actual somali might feel the need to hang on such stuff and perhaps accept whatever conclusion there is on the pagan past or even maybe develop your own understanding on this fogy pagan identity to cope with your situation.
of course.... the I can't dispute evidence Infront of me so it must be false trope.

“Somalia is a nation with a history that stretches
back more than 10 millennia to the beginnings of human civilization."

Herbert Lewis, “The Origins of Galla and Somali.” The Journal of African History,
vol.7. No.1 (1966), 27-46

There are many Muslim somali scholars who wrote about pre islamic history of somalis like professor Abdurahman M. Abdullahi (Baadiyow)

Read the paper attached and it's references if you want to learn about our pre islamic history, if you want to argue just for the sake of it then be my guest.

Attachments

• 335973772-The-History-of-the-Somali-Peninsula-From-the-Ancient-Times-to-the-Medieval-Muslim-Pe...pdf
    283.2 KB · Views: 89

Garaad diinle

 
of course.... the I can't dispute evidence Infront of me so it must be false trope.

“Somalia is a nation with a history that stretches
back more than 10 millennia to the beginnings of human civilization."

Herbert Lewis, “The Origins of Galla and Somali.” The Journal of African History,
vol.7. No.1 (1966), 27-46

There are many Muslim somali scholars who wrote about pre islamic history of somalis like professor Abdurahman M. Abdullahi (Baadiyow)

Read the paper attached and it's references if you want to learn about our pre islamic history, if you want to argue just for the sake of it then be my guest.
Hmm i think i've seen this part somewhere before.
You sure like to copy from your friends. Well i'll give you one simple test and see if you've got an answer for it, i suspect you wont have a good answer since you appear to share images from a wiki page.

They say that ayannle were known as angels in the past in somalia. What is the basis for such a claim. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof was it? I always thought gaal were supposed to be critical thinkers, hard to convince unless you have a waterproof evidence?

I find it hard to understand why your so hang on somalinimo. As a gaal you're not bound by religion, tradition or culture. You can act as you wish, do whatever you want to do and identify with anything you want. Your more relatable to a westerner than a somali muslim. Is that perhaps regret or could it be that you still have some religious value left over in your heart?

Last edited:
Wikipedia isnt a source, also for soom sooyal you should at least use the .so wikipedia wa hadaa soomali tagaan.

You sure like to copy from your friends. Well i'll give you one simple test and see if you've got an answer for it, i suspect you wont have a good answer since you appear to share images from a wiki page.

They say that ayannle were known as angels in the past in somalia. What is the basis for such a claim. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof was it? I always thought gaal were supposed to be critical thinkers, hard to convince unless you have a waterproof evidence?

I find it hard to understand why your so hang on somalinimo. As a gaal you're not bound by religion, tradition or culture. You can act as you wish, do whatever you want to do and identify with anything you want. Your more relatable to a westerner than a somali muslim. Is that perhaps regret or could it be that you still have some religious value left over in your heart?

People just make things up lol, ayaanle means a “lucky person”. They know full well that they hate themselves but also know that the Cadaans they worship and coon for will always hate them.

99% of what is on (English) Somali Wikipedia is either made up or comes from white writers from the 1800’s. People who
Know Somali history tend not to speak English so dyuusbora with identity issues make up random shit.

Liban89

Did you read professor Baadiyow's paper? I guess you didn't because you just want to argue.

As for Ayaanle and wagar sanam still in use today, I present you two peer reviewed papers.

Attachments

• 84373-Article Text-205310-1-10-20130114.pdf
    94.2 KB · Views: 243
  • s10437-015-9181-z.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 67

K-M-O

Somali.
Oral roots say we’re descendants of the Prophet and have never been non Muslims so we can’t pick and choose. Somalis had no verifiable history before Islam unlike other people so there’s really no point in discussing this. If we had pyramids like the Nigerians and within them there idols we use to worship then yeah we could have this discussion. Right now it’s just self hate and it seems like a coping mechanism to speculate and hate your heritage.

The people that says: “we’re descendent of the prophets”

Are only a minority. They don’t speak for all Somalis.

I believe it depends on the clans.

Trending