Damn it pre civil war Xamar was where it is at.

Somali Saayid

There is no surrender, We Win or We Die.
VIP
Same Place
Colonial Era until Barre's ouster.

08C8E0C6-DD6D-4B28-88DC-DEA5488BE9D3.jpeg

Same Place
Rebel Millitas take over - today
C3C2257F-8780-44CA-AADD-8C6ED34F5D8E.jpeg

Somali Saayid

There is no surrender, We Win or We Die.
VIP
You’ve been here for 2 months and you’re already on 3k messages :mjlaugh: this is prime messi numbers it took me well over a year to get 3k
Politics section did a number on me. That and my plotting to become dictator of east Africa.

Which part of the city was the least 'affected' by the civil war? :cosbyhmm:

Despite everything its been through, Xamar really has a lot of potential. Waa qurux nevertheless :rejoice:
probably the outskirts as it was the centre of the city that people wanted to control. today the centre is seeing the most development though as it is part of the governments green zone

probably the outskirts as it was the centre of the city that people wanted to control. today the centre is seeing the most development though as it is part of the governments green zone

I also find it fascinating how quick Xamar is being developed, despite 'officially' being a relatively unstable city/region. The locals and diaspora need to be commended, for all the works done so far in reconstructing the city.
One day, I'll visit there, and re-connect with my long-lost brethrens iA. :win:

seldiboy

Resident Eritrean | Ye's strongest soldier
Is there a specific reason why Somali buildings don't get as big as the second video?
2 reasons.

1. No need for them. Overly expensive and they don’t fit the landscape. A skyscraper in the middle of Xamar would stick out like a sore thumb and be a pain to look at,
2. African construction companies are a shambles. The methods used are very primitive. Most companies just pour concrete into a frame and stick some rebar in and call it a day. Might work for a 2 story building but a tall building needs to be engineered properly otherwise it will collapse.