China bans Arab and Muslim names

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bit extreme :kodaksmiley:
Names like Frank and John aren't even of English origin, but they're considered as much as a part of that nation's history as a native name :birdman:
Like @government said these names have been present in Somalia for well over a thousand years, they're a part of our culture at this point.
Half of English names aren't Germanic and nobody cares. These Gaalos havebeen brainwashed to hate anything Arab

Bit extreme :kodaksmiley:
Names like Frank and John aren't even of English origin, but they're considered as much as a part of that nation's history as a native name :birdman:
Like @government said these names have been present in Somalia for well over a thousand years, they're a part of our culture at this point.

we still have our own names why should we use other peoples names?

i dont care about europeans because at least they still have their culture intact. arab culture is like a virus you can see it in egypt and somalia. they egyptians have it the worst since they had their entire national language replaced. in somalia all you see are women wearing giant tents.

Believe it or not, this is more like xenophobia than islamophobia.

@Amun and everyone read this article:

http://thediplomat.com/2014/08/a-tale-of-two-chinese-muslim-minorities/

TLDR: Hui muslims (ethnically Chinese) who make 11 million (majority Muslims) can practice Islam FREELY with barely any state interference whilst the Uighur (turkic) who make up 8 million and live in western china have their rights curtailed frequently (recently this includes the right to practice Islam fully).

Both ethnic groups are mostly Sunni.

Theoretically, this is akin to Kenya banning islamic elements for Somalis in NFD but completely allowing/accepting full on Sunni Islamic practices for the Swahili/Asian Muslims (thank god this isn't happening to us Somalis... Yet!)

Last edited:
Hold up folks, we have many Islamic names that have been Somalified & they've been used for centuries...
:whoa:

But pure Somali names definitely need to be revived.

DuctTape

I have an IQ of 300
we still have our own names why should we use other peoples names?

i dont care about europeans because at least they still have their culture intact. arab culture is like a virus you can see it in egypt and somalia. they egyptians have it the worst since they had their entire national language replaced. in somalia all you see are women wearing giant tents.
The Arabic names are used in tandem with Somali names. I've definitely been seeing a rise in Somali names lately.

I will agree that the jilbaab strangely seems to have taken precedence over all other kinds of outfits and garments in recent times, but if you think this is equal to our entire culture being replaced, you're sorely mistaken. We have a proud culture and history that is shockingly intact despite us being smack dab in the middle of the Arab sphere of influence.

Literally thousands of years of constant contact and all we have to show for it is a bunch of loanwords, a couple cultural practices and a rise in the use of certain garments only stretching back to 20 years ago. I think you're overplaying the 'danger' that Somalis are in to be honest.

The Arabic names are used in tandem with Somali names. I've definitely been seeing a rise in Somali names lately.

I will agree that the jilbaab strangely seems to have taken precedence over all other kinds of outfits and garments in recent times, but if you think this is equal to our entire culture being replaced, you're sorely mistaken. We have a proud culture and history that is shockingly intact despite us being smack dab in the middle of the Arab sphere of influence.

Literally thousands of years of constant contact and all we have to show for it is a bunch of loanwords, a couple cultural practices and a rise in the use of certain garments only stretching back to 20 years ago. I think you're overplaying the 'danger' that Somalis are in to be honest.

It's more of a recent danger because of the recent spike in conservatism and terrorism. Our instability also plays a role.

MadNomad

As i live and breathe
Waryaa cousin don't make me mad Arab names are as somali as somali names considering you're lalkasee I bet you have an Arabic name :drakelaugh:

Next you're going to say the Niqab is as Somali as Somali clothing :siilaanyolaugh:

I do have an Arabic name lol, wish i didn't though.

Next you're going to say the Niqab is as Somali as Somali clothing :siilaanyolaugh:

I do have an Arabic name lol, wish i didn't though.
I'm not gonna claim niqab is somali clothing because it's a recent phenomena however Arabic names have been in somalia for more than a thousand years

MadNomad

As i live and breathe
I'm not gonna claim niqab is somali clothing because it's a recent phenomena however Arabic names have been in somalia for more than a thousand years

So have Somali names. I say we dump the Arabic ones and embrace our indigenous heritage :fittytousand:

Whilst i personally encourage Somali names, we must recognise that the acceptance of islamic Arabic names doesn't mean that we're loosing/negating our culture (which is an Islamic culture btw)

See for many of us living in the anglo-sphere (especially England, UK), when we hear names like 'george' or 'christopher', we automatically assume that they are standard English names when they are infact Greek names.

Just like how Arabic is the language for Islam, Greek/Latin (although Nabi isa/Jesus pbuh spoke Aramaic) is the same for Christianity but to the average english guy, names like George are normal and accepted as part of English cultural identity.

Even today many English people still assume that their patron saint, Saint George, was an Englishman even though he was a Greek-Palestinian/levantine Roman soldier:O27GWRK:

Overall, I agree with @government that Islamic Arabic names that Somalis commonly use (abdi:icon lol:) are culturally just as somali as our pure somali names (sharmarke).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.