Chadians with Somali ancestry?

I've a Chadian friend, he looks like Somali.
When I was Somalia I heard stories of how ancient Somalis migrated to Chad, I thought that was just a folk tale or made up story.
But then this guys tells how his family told him stories of their ancestors coming from Somalia.
Many Somalis in the university mistook him for a Somali, I did the same first time I met him and spoke Somali to him.

Do you think he can be Somali? They're one insular close-knit tribe there, they don't intermarry with other tribes there and they look down upon them for having Bantu features, they keep everything local just like Somalis. He told how a guy who married a girl from his tribe was honor killed by lads from his tribe saying ''Ma geyo uu''.

DNA tests support that claim:
''Southern Chadians then experienced four waves of gene flow over the last 3,000 years from West-Central Africans, Eastern Africans, West-Central Africans again, and then Arabians.''
''In Chad, five ancestries have been identified: Western African, West-Central African, Eastern African, Northern African, and Arabian''
''Separate ancestries have been inferred for Cushitic and Omotic speakers, but the ancestry of Chadic speakers is unclear. Two possibilities are that Chadic speakers have a distinct ancestry or that they have Eastern African ancestry and experienced a language shift''
''Based on the distribution of the mitochondrial DNA haplogroup L3f3, it has been suggested that Chadic-speaking pastoralists migrated from Northeastern or Eastern Africa''
''In the Sahel data set, three Oromo were identical to three Somali''

Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6240361/

Trending